1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

HandFarm

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Prospero, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (655) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

So I know Tired Hands is a reputable brewer, but can someone explain why the trade forum is crazy for this beer? It's a 92 point wine-barrel aged saison, why is that worthy of a King Henry, Juicy, BA Speedway???

Ya ya, I know, it's worth whatever two parties agree to... I'm lost on this one though.

I guess hearing first hand experience how awesome this beer is would help and what makes it so unique.
  2. It's a really good beer, with 500 bottles released that sold out in about an hour. Could have sold out in 10 minutes had they been able to stream line the process. People were turned away, so it's a hot commodity right now. That said, I got my four bottles, and I won't be trading any away. I drank one with a small group and everyone liked it.
  3. stakem

stakem Champion (870) Pennsylvania Feb 20, 2009

I am replying to this post with just my humble opinion. An opinion that I am sure is going to piss some people off. I understand some will not agree but here are my thoughts on the subject.

I am by no means the most veteran trader but ive been active enough, long enough to see a pretty radical change of mentality in the atmosphere. When you mention the trade forum being crazy over this beer...you do realize that a significant portion of the topics being created are by users who have the beer and are trying to trade it away for something they desire more than the beer they have.

A very similar thing occurred recently with Bullfrog's Oud 15. People loaded up with more bottles than they personally needed in an effort to trade off (or up) for things they desired more. However, Bullfrog is a brewery that some consider to be past it's prime since Terry isnt there anymore (again, just an observation not stating facts.) Tired hands is a fresh new brewery that fits the nitch perfectly for hype and hysteria. I think of them as the second comings of Hill Farmstead with a focus on the farmhouse style and hoppy brews with a touch of barrel aging. The small size of this brewery easily creates a situation of demand being greater than supply.

Is the beer itself worthy of the attention? I dont know. I didnt attend the release but am hopeful I will try it sometime soon.
  4. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (655) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Yea, all good points. Well maybe I'll seek it out if people are willing to come down a bit.
  5. monitorpop

monitorpop Advocate (505) Michigan Oct 28, 2007

I can't speak for others, but I probably didn't help matters being one of the first posts looking for 2 bottles and offering the uneven pick of 4 high quality limited releases in return.

Tired Hands has been the top brewery I've wanted to try for several months, but I decided to wait for a bottle release. When I saw their first bottle release announced on my Facebook wall, I jumped on posting a trade. I don't like to dick around with bartering and trades falling through, so I threw out a strong offer that killed my inbox.

Can't say if the HandFarm was worth it yet, but the extra growler of "The Light That Spills Out Of The Hole In Your Head" that I opened last night was amazingly good.
    Thorpe429 and raymo55 like this.
  6. I think some of it has to do with the shear number of tickers there are any more,and the "gotta have'em all" mentality that often comes along with it. I also think people enjoy drinking new beers as much as do ones that are already established to be very good. I think at some point, landing a new beer that's limited trumps being in possession of a beer they've had before or have more of. I drank one the other day and I enjoyed it. It's not my favorite beer from them, and likely not even in my top 5...but that's probably a combination of my personal preference towards specific styles, along with the fact I feel they've brewed some pretty solid stuff. Just my 2 cents, likely not worth half that.
    cfh64 likes this.
  7. Hype + Wax + Bottle Release = whale

I personally haven't loved what I have had from TH saison-wise.

and this
    I feel like half the beer on this site is 'over-rated' based on how hard it was to get, how limited it is, it's trade value, etc...most of the best beers from the top rated brewers out there, are their regular offerings, imo.
    gpawned likes this.
  8. I agree with this. I feel like the way a beer tastes isn't even the first or second most important factor when people decide what they want to give up for something, or what they expect in return for something. Granted, when the beer you're seeking is one you haven't had before, it's always a bit of a leap. Granted, I've only had HandFarm and Black Lagoon, regarding beers TH has bottled, but I can think of a dozen plus beers I enjoyed more than either, and wish to hell they had bottled. Again, it's not saying the two bottled offerings aren't good in anyway...they just aren't beers I prefer. Opinions on beer are so subjective, I wonder why anyone listens to the opinions of anyone else regarding the manner, sometimes. You want something? Pony up and try it out? Price to steep? Stand pat and enjoy your already amazing beer. *shrug*
    brownswisscow likes this.
  9. I also don't understand the precieved "need" for a good chunk of folks to try a brewers one-off beer when they haven't tried hardly anything from the brewery beforehand but that's an entirely different discussion.
  10. I know people that have lived in the Philadelphia area the entire time TH has been opened, but couldn't be bothered to ever come down and try it. But put a bottle out, and they were there 2 hours before open with 3 other people that had never been. lol I got a good chuckle out of that.
  11. What is the price on these bottles? I've had a (tired)handful of beers from them so far that have been very good but somewhat expensive.
  12. HandFarm was $12.00 for a 500mL (16.9 oz) bottle.
  13. I just recently set up 2 different trades with Retail1LO for Farm Hands, both for Upland Lambics. No whales being passed here, just two fair (to me) trades. Personally, I love this style of Saison, and I think TH nailed it on the head. Is it worth King Henry? Not in my opinion.. but its good.

Thanks again Hayden!! ;)
  14. You're welcome, my friend. :) Glad you're enjoying them. Everyone down this way will be thrilled to try the Upland's.
  15. Ha!!
    (Hill Hand Farmstead)
  16. Everyone wants to have their own personal HF Clone to trade out shelfwalez for whitewalez.
  17. this. add in a handful of people that come back from (or even post while they're still at) the release claiming they've locked down fou' foune, cable car, etc. in trade, and that sets the rarity narrative for future trades. it's been going on for years.

when it's a brewery you've never heard of (or most people don't care about), wait a week or two and see how things roll. the initial frenzy is largely misinformation from those who are trying to maximize their trades.
  18. I don't think it's an HF clone at all. The both focus on similar styles, and that's about it.
  19. By HF clone I mean limited release, brewery only, fancy packaging barrel aged, devoted core local trader base.
  20. Despite the relationship to HF and similar focus on beers I wouldnt say they are a clone. The tags on the growlers are much bigger.
    DaveHack, AlexFields, tubbnik and 2 others like this.
  21. I'd bet the core local traders are incredibly higher in numbers, being just outside of a city with more than 2.5x the number of people in it than the entire state of Vermont. Also...they just did their first release and the last thing I'd call that packaging is fancy. lol

It's interesting...HF is in high demand, and there's not enough people close to it to ever help supply it. TH has tons of people with access to it..but I'm curious to see at what point even those people won't be able to get their hands on stuff. Who knows. I sure don't. I just sound like it sometimes.
  22. The price tags generally are too. But such is life having a place in what I assume is a high rent district in Ardmore versus the middle of nowhere on land owned by your family for generations.
  23. andy??? haha
  24. Everyone starts somewhere. lol
    mr1581 likes this.
  25. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

I'm drinking some Domo right now, and it's rather legit for a black saison. On par with the stuff Shaun makes.
    Greenplastic615 and Retail1LO like this.
  26. can't stress this enough.
  27. No doubt TH makes good beer but if you look at the explosion in HF's popularity I'd probably stop talking about them and somehow delete this thread before you all start having to wait 2 hours for growler fills on a non-release day. Enjoy what you have now.
  28. If that day comes, it won't be because of threads like this.
  29. HandFarm was a damn good beer. It exemplifies how good of a brewer Jean really is. That said, I don't think the beer itself is worthy to trade for some of the higher end stuff it has. Just my opinion.

I loved that beer, so good.
  30. Thorpe429

Thorpe429 Champion (895) Illinois Aug 18, 2008

HandFarm is an amazing beer, and also happens to be the first widespread release of a Tired Hands beer in bottled format. It's one of my favorite beers that Jean has done so far, but it's by no means the only excellent beer that he has done. Many of the beers he's had on tap have been absolutely exceptional. FarmHands itself without a doubt would be my go to beer if I could have a never ending supply of growlers.

As for the Hill Farmstead and Tired Hands comparisons, to me they're fairly legit, at least as far as breweries go. Aside from the fact that Shaun and Jean are friends and have already done collaborations together, both focus on the same types of beers. Also, there are some similarities in the character of their beers, though that might just be something I pick up on.

Either way, I'm very happy that Tired Hands is doing so well, as it's an all around excellent operation. Plus, Jean, Colin, and everyone else couldn't be more friendly.
  31. Well...I wouldn't call 100 or so people getting 4 bottles apiece AT the brewery "widespread." The rest of your post would be tough to argue.
  32. Thorpe429

Good point. I meant widespread in comparison to the Black Lagoon release. It probably would have been better to just say open to the public or not tied to a specific event.

33. Well...I wouldn't call Black Lagoon a release at all. lol You couldn't just walk up and get this stuff...even if you lined up the day before. It was a ticketed dinner, and as a portion of your $75, which included some awesome food and beer pairings, they gave each attendee a bottle. I would imagine Black Lagoon is going to be much harder to come buy. Hell...it's only numbered out of 100 or so, I believe.
  34. Thorpe429

Yep, that was exactly my point. I wanted to differentiate HandFarm as the first "real" release without mischaracterizing things, since Black Lagoon was released in bottles. I think the 100 bottle figure is correct.
  35. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

you're forgetting about the R5 saison release. ;)
    ThoreauLikeAGirl and Retail1LO like this.
  36. Thorpe429

I wasn't aware that there was a bottle release of R5.
  37. And although unlabled...bottles of Artisnale too. They've bottled a number of beers....but HandFarm is the only real "release." The rest just surfaced, more or less.
  38. He gave out 4 to the first 4 people who showed up at Tired Hands the day they did the R5 bar crawl.
    Retail1LO likes this.
  39. Those are the true whales!
  40. didn't end up working that way. they had music playing. if you guessed the name of the band, you got a bottle. it took a good hour or 2 for all of them to go.
    still sitting in my fridge. i really hope it wasn't filled from the tap =X
    thank you, B-side Nirvana