1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hard to Find Beers You Found Somewhere Else

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Mscarpen, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Mscarpen

Mscarpen Savant (335) Tennessee Apr 2, 2011

It seems some regions go nuts for a particular beer and blow it off the shelf in hours while it languishes on shelves elsewhere. Case in point; Boltcutter was in very short supply and high demand in South East WI. If you weren't working to find it, you simply didn't get any. About a month after its release, I'm in SC and find five bottles on the shelf.

Are there any gems you've tumbled across in-mass, while traveling, that you simply would never find on the shelf "back home"?

2. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Washington Dec 24, 2012

My story is kind of in reverse. Abyss & Dissident have never shown up in my area, so i pretty much wrote them off as only being able to get through trade. Walked into my local shop last week and the shelf was stacked with them!! Had to control myself and only buy 2 of each instead of the whole lot.

Mscarpen likes this.
  3. Mgm54

Mgm54 Savant (375) Illinois Apr 7, 2011

I went to Colorado a week ago or so, and I found 75 minute sitting on the shelves. I never find that sitting near my area in New York or Chicago!

Casedogg43 likes this.
  4. alexipa

alexipa Savant (410) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

I feel like in Colorado a lot of the harder to find beers sit on shelves for a while. On the other hand, local breweries limited releases fly off shelves while they sit in other states. I think our whole state is full of homers!

5. Hold Up! Where were you in South Carolina? It's like that with breakfast stout and backwoods bastard here, too.

6. Agreed, this was my experience only a couple of weeks ago...
    [​IMG]

KiMiRaiK likes this.
  7. Mscarpen

Plenty of Breakfast Stout. Found one guy with Backwoods in the back room. South Carolina is amazing!!!!

8. Mscarpen

Try Fort Mill Froogles

9. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

2008 I was finding ABYSS at little convenience stores and stuff in Alaska. It was hilarious. Hardly any craft beers, but then BAM there's a row of Abyss with no purchase limit and cheap prices.

luwak likes this.
  10. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Washington Dec 24, 2012

I can't believe what i'm seeing! Do ppl that can get this, this easy, think this brew is over hyped?

This brew only exists in the magical world of BA, in this area.

JustXBeer likes this.
  11. No way! We bought a four pack of breakfast stout and this at first and kept coming back for Backwoods Bastard. It's delicious

12. That's how it is everywhere in Greenville, man. I wish I had enough money to drink all of it!

13. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (640) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

Imperial Biscotti Break sits around for a while until words gets out around here..

I stocked up pretty well.. about as well as you want for a $15 dollar bomber, but...

I do have a store I frequent that I can buy beers with an easy year on them, in terms of the stouts and big beers... ;)

14. I gave up trying to find bottles of Firestone XVI Anniversary. Then a couple of days ago, I showed up early at the Bruery Tasting Room so I decided to walk around and find something to eat until they opened. I walked into a tiny little liquor store and found two bottles just sitting on the shelf. Dude sold them both to me for $45. I was very pleased. Same thing happened with Parabola and Sucaba after I stopped running around trying to find them. I walked into a liquor store in Huntington Beach for the first time and found them both sitting in the fridge. Unfortunately, I was flat broke at the time and didn't pick them up. Kicked myself later for that one.

15. Yep, that's where that photo was taken, in Greenville.

16. I found an old vintage of BA Rasputin at a Whole Foods in Maui.

Omer4176 and luwak like this.
  17. I found some BCBCS down by my dad's this weekend. It was blink-and-miss it by me.

18. Monsone

Monsone Savant (350) Illinois Jun 5, 2006

Nothing crazy recently, but a few years back in WI I found a case of KBS on the shelf and every New Glarus unplugged going back for at least 3 years at a little liquor store in a small town.

19. Mscarpen

Just saw three cases of Backwoods sitting on the floor next to three cases of WnB in SC. Crazyness! I may have to move back down here.

20. 2011 Wake and Bake was available on the shelves in SC until about 3 weeks ago. It made no sense, that stuff sold out in my former area of FL in a couple weeks tops.

Back to this Bolt Cutter thing, I didn't even know it hit SC, heard it might but when was this? Anyone see. Any in Charleston?

21. BCVS in Dublin. Yep.

22. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

JC! I was lucky to score a 4 pack of BWB as it sold out in an hour in Madison WI.

23. Ri0

It was line up at the door and wait for it arrive by me.

24. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

goandpickitupformebro...... :p

25. MeadGuyfromMD

MeadGuyfromMD Savant (260) Maryland May 23, 2007

Can you grab some FT?? :)

26. Ri0

Mule it back to WI!

stayclean likes this.
  27. Avangion

Avangion Aficionado (110) New York Dec 14, 2012

I just found a row of Barrel Aged Old Rasputin XIV in Palm Beach Gardens, FL. Does that count? Even the dude at the counter was surprised he still had any. He had like eight to ten. I bought two. Almost bought like four but eh.

28. bigedct

bigedct Savant (405) Connecticut Jun 23, 2011

Not enmass but I found a bottle of Life n Limb 2 at a Coop grocery in Vermont a month ago.

29. on two ocassions found 6 bottles sitting on shelf of 2010 Abyss and 2011 Abyss about 10 months after release at the same shop in Duluth.MN a year apart

30. Wegman's likes to load up on things like that BWB and Harvest Ale. At 11.99 a four pack. Still on the shelves here in Easton, PA.

31. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

What the hell? We had shops in St Louis limiting customers to 1 4pack or even 2 bottles per person

32. I tell ya, if I hadn't crushed my beer budget today in TW, I probably would be all up for it. Man, this hobby is getting expensive. They've had FBB for a while now, so I don't think it is going anywhere for a bit.