1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hardywood Bourbon Sidamo

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by VeganUndead, Feb 24, 2013.

1. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Advocate (645) Virginia Apr 25, 2012

[​IMG]

Continuing their trend of bourbon barrel aging recent releases, Hardywood announced this past week they are releasing Bourbon Sidamo, their imperial coffee stout aged in bourbon barrels on March 2nd. On their site you can find more info about this beer as well as other releases already schedule for this year. It's so nice have good craft brews here in Richmond. Cheers.
    dv8n8r likes this.
  2. BigSexy410

BigSexy410 Zealot (85) Virginia Nov 10, 2006

I'm thinking of heading to the release but have a couple quick questions for any Hardywood release veterans. What's their pricing on a release like this? Any bottle limits? Is it imperative to get there for the 10-12 time frame to get bottles? Do they sell other bottles during that 10-12 bottle release? Sorry for all the questions.
  3. legend8706

legend8706 Savant (310) Virginia Oct 31, 2012

I went to the Chocolate Heat release a few weeks ago and there they had Sidamo Coffee for sale as well. $10/bottle and it appeared they had plenty of both for sale. I got there at 2 and still managed to get plenty for myself so it shouldn't be a problem for you to get some if you go between 10-12! I can't make it to this one but I really wish I could get a bottle or 2! If anyone is interested in trading me some, hit me up! Cheers!
    BigSexy410 likes this.
  4. I guess I know what I'm doing early afternoon March 2nd. Thx for the heads-up.
  5. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Savant (360) Virginia Nov 20, 2012

There should be plenty. The chocolate heat should finally be hitting the stores this week, I was at the release and there was plenty to fo around. Would not mind getting a bottle or two of this....
  6. ThatCracker

7. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

8. ThatCracker

Can't wait to get some at total wine or once upon a vine get this. Corks n kegs probably won't have it or it will be overpriced.
  9. Shilt

Shilt Savant (370) Virginia Dec 26, 2011

That's funny, since I'm pretty sure the guy who started this thread works at CnK. Its not the shop I frequent because it's on the other end of town from me, but I have always found their prices to be some of the most fair in the city. Few can compete with total wine prices because of the volume they get. However, vine is my go to shop, and their stuff is always some of the highest priced in the city. I pay it for convenience and I like the guys there. Don't go calling out a shop however, especially when your facts aren't straight.
    HopHeadCnK likes this.
  10. 100% agree with the above.
  11. legend8706

legend8706 Savant (310) Virginia Oct 31, 2012

Anyone wanna trade me a bottle?! Won't be in Richmond for awhile to get any...
  12. ThatCracker

I was posting it as a joke since I saw he worked there and he left a review for total wine saying to shop at CnK. I didn't know where the were but I am now planning on dropping by and seeing what they have. Also like once upon a vine, they may be a little steeper but I can find things there well after the other shops have run out (got some BCBS last week)
  13. ThatCracker

I will get you one legend - even thou you are a Cavs fan....
  14. VeganUndead

Glad I let that organically play out, we don't price gouge anything, even on limited releases, but we don't get as much of stuff allocated as TW because of their capacity and contracts with distributors. You definitely should stop by sometime, we do boast more belgian beers than all other shops in Richmond, probably combined. And during March we have our "March's Madness" where we do a heads up beer tasting for every day of the month. Thats an open invite to everyone, Cheers!
  15. ThatCracker

Sounds great - love me some good belgians and am always wanting to try something new. I go to TW on Midlo because I could walk there from my house. Also, the good beer people there are always bringing back things when they go out of town and we do a little trading now and then. They are considered the walmart of beer places but they do also have some great hop heads too lol. I will try to drop by on Friday during chow. Look forward to seeing what you have!

Cheers,
    Andrew
  16. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (520) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

The bourbon releases ar usually in the 14 dollar range. They will have it on tap for 5 bucks probably. Last time you could pretty much show up when ever and get bottles.
    BigSexy410 likes this.
  17. ThatCracker

Make sure they are doing the 10-12 release. They did not do it for the chocolate heat, only the two o'clock release.
  18. jkeffer13

jkeffer13 Aficionado (190) Virginia Dec 12, 2012

Anybody interested in doing an IP trade at the release? I'm looking for a bottle of GBS for a trade partner so if anyone is willing shoot me a BM and I'll hook you up the best I can. Thanks!
  19. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (605) Virginia May 28, 2010

http://www.facebook.com/events/340098702775010/
    they're doing a 10-12 bottle release for this. the barrel/reserve taps are usually $6 - a buck more than the regular beers. tasting room opens at 2pm.
    according to a friend who had some off the brite-tank the other day, this is way more coffee forward than the regular Sidamo.
  20. ThatCracker

Mmmm.....That is good to know - I will try to send some1 out there for me - got the daughters BDay party....
  21. ncaudle

outside of the GBS and BGBS, this is the only beer they have had a 10-12 release for.
    the Bourbon Cru release in another couple months will probably get a morning release as well.
  22. ThatCracker

MMmmm....Bourbon Cru.....
  23. Shilt

Shilt Savant (370) Virginia Dec 26, 2011

I think this is because they choose to BA the RIS and then add coffee after the aging process. Hope there is still a good bourbon flavor.
  24. ncaudle

yes, but the thinking is that they used more coffee for this batch than for the regular Sidamo
  25. BeastLU

Headed up tomorrow at 2 to try on draft and score a few bottles. Anyone else going?
  26. ThatCracker

I will be there around 4 - I have heard nothing but good things so far...
  27. ewright

ewright Savant (440) North Carolina Oct 25, 2007

Anyone want to swap a bottle of this for a BCBCS, hit me up. Don't have time for a 6 hour round trip today AND a bottle share tonight. If BCBCS isn't your thing, I can come up with other options.
  28. ThatCracker

sent you a BM
  29. ThatCracker

Grabbed an Odio Equum yesterday and a March madness sheet....can't wait to see which one wins. Nice shop you have there!
  30. ewright

I like the cut of your jib! I'm sure we can work this out. Have fun at the release today!
  31. VeganUndead

If you like sours you will looooove that Odio. I wasn't working last night but will be in here til early afternoon today and work tomorrow (sunday). The march madness is a lot of fun, last night allagash triple beat la fin du monde. Thanks for supporting the shop. Cheers!
  32. djre4orm

djre4orm Savant (345) Virginia Oct 21, 2011

Anyone pop a bottle for a taste yet? I have the regular & wondering how much better this version ended up
  33. csbinva

csbinva Savant (265) Virginia Jan 13, 2010

Got there a little before 11, no line, guy at the table said the mob had already come and gone, go now if you are close by, can't wait to give it a whirl.
  34. BeastLU

Going at 2 for the draft, ill post an update upon my tasting.
  35. VeganUndead

Post if there are any bottles left, i'll be at the shop til 2 at the earliest, thanks!
  36. csbinva

There were plenty left when I was there and I was the only one in the parking lot, you should be fine this afternoon.
    ncaudle, ewright and HopHeadCnK like this.
  37. ewright

You VA guys are WAAAY more laid back about BA bottle releases than us North Carolinians! We have to queue up before sunrise at Foothills!
  38. csbinva

Needless to say this one was fairly lame compared to the gbs release back in November, just the way I like it, hopefully the beer is a good one, will be rating later, stay tuned. Can't imagine anything in Maker's Mark barrels tasting bad, ha!
    cw577enfield likes this.
  39. VeganUndead

No, this release gets an asterisk. VCU and UR are both on break, and Hardywood doesn't do brewery releases only so this will be on shelves in about 10 days. Plus this is a brand new brew so there's no hype around it yet. On an insanity level I would put our GBS right up there with your sexual chocolate. Either way, cheers to all beer snobs who expend way too much effort for good brews haha.
  40. djre4orm

djre4orm Savant (345) Virginia Oct 21, 2011

Hmmm maybe I'm just new to this brewery's hoops but make sure you don't show up in the two hour window between "pre-release" and "release". They were going to not let me purchase until I mentioned driving from NoVA. I'm happy I got to purchase some but they limited me to a 4pk, and the guy didn't seem too happy. I was sort of justifying my 160 mile drive by purchasing more for trade/friends.

Seems kind of silly once the release starts to close down again. They had plenty on the shelves. Not sure what the limit was for either. Weird & offputing