1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Harvesting Heady!

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by InVinoVeritas, Jun 3, 2013.

1. InVinoVeritas

InVinoVeritas Member

So my best men sent me a rather unique gift to honor the birth of my son. Along with the normal kid gifts, he included some gifts for me, Woo-Hoo! He sent 3 Heady's and a couple coasters; that jerk must have drank one . . . just kidding . . . no I'm not :D. My buddies not evening living in VT, he's in DC, which is where I'm originally from. Well, thanks to the below link I'm going to harvest! One drank and two to go.

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/conan-yeast-starter.70334/

Going to follow koopa, thanks!!!
    200ml for 24 hours on stir plate
    24 hour crash cool
    800ml for 24 hours on stir plate
    24 hour crash cool
    3200ml for 24 hours on a stir plate
    24 hour crash cool
    3200ml for 24 hours on a stir plate
    24 hour crash cool
    washed yeast
    PortLargo likes this.
  2. InVinoVeritas

InVinoVeritas Member

First harvest:
    [​IMG]
  3. Bowdoinbeerboy

Bowdoinbeerboy Member

I'm hoping to harvest some Heady Topper yeast next weekend too. Nice pic, keep us posted on your progress!
  4. joshodonn

joshodonn Member

I just harvested from a can as well. I added the sediment from a can I had been sitting on for far longer than should have been sat on... Started with 250 ml, let that ferment out for 48 hours, then added another fresh 500 ml of starter wort. I let that go about another 36 hours, then added the entire ~750 ml to 2.25 liters of fresh wort last night. This morning I had a nice krausen. I'm going to let this go until Wednesday night, mainly because I'm on the road for work this week. Wednesday I'll throw it in the fridge to crash and then Thursday night I'll decant and split the slurry into 2 three liter starters. One will be used on Saturday for my brew and the other will be frozen down for future use.
  5. brewsader

brewsader Member

make sure you're as sanitary as possible. since youre starting from such a small sample size, anything that gets in there is going to grow to a prominent degree too. i'm speaking from experience.
  6. cavedave

cavedave Member

Here is South Mountain Brewing doing a Heady clone with Conan I harvested. Monster yeast!

woaahhhh
  7. Summer78

Summer78 Member

I'm following a schedule right now similar to joshodonn:

pitched dregs from one can on 300 ml.
    3 days later I pitched 700 ml more
    3 days later I cold crashed, decanted, and pitched 1400 ml. As of this morning, it was still going a little bit (three days in). I am not using a stirplate. I was hoping to cold crash it last night and decant and split it (to save half) and start another 1.75L starter because I plan on brewing with it Wednesday night. I might just pitch the whole thing though. Who thinks I will have time to cold crash tonight and get a starter that large ready by Wednesday night?
  8. PortLargo

PortLargo Member

Piece of cake. Your yeast is in high gear, repitching after a cold crash should have very little lag time (my last one re-started within one hour after having been crashed). I predict you could pitch Wed AM and those yeasties will be in overdrive by evening. Plus you will have the other half in reserve . . . just in case.
    Summer78 likes this.
  9. cfrobrew

cfrobrew Member

Mine was very close to this schedule. Something like 2 can dregs in a 700ml then crashed and went to a 1200, crashed and decanted then into a 1200 ml starter and just finished with a 1600 ml starter. This was after the first or = second 1200, its crashing now, looks like the volume went up considerably again. I used a stir plate so production was good.
    [​IMG]
  10. InVinoVeritas

InVinoVeritas Member

Round 2 of 3:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. Summer78

Summer78 Member

I cold crashed Monday night and decanted as much as I could. Instead of splitting it, I'm just gonna use the whole thing. I didn't get as much yield I think because I'm not using a stirplate. The starter is already in high gear ready for an all-mosaic IPA tomorrow night.
  12. PortLargo

PortLargo Member

Results?
  13. Summer78

Summer78 Member

There was a slight glitch. The brew house was all torn up and had no water, so Conan is residing in my fridge, waiting for the all-clear. Hopefully next week. I'll be sure to post results.
  14. 46and2

46and2 Member

ISO: Vial of Conan.
  15. joshodonn

joshodonn Member

My schedule worked out perfectly. I didn't get a chance to split into two before I had to pitch on Saturday, so instead I just left a little bit of the slurry behind and added a fresh 2.5L of starter wort. I pitched about 9 pm last night. I'm pretty sure I underpitched, at least compared to the amount of yeast that I would normally pitch, but even so it was starting to bubble when I woke up this morning and by this evening it has a 2" kruasen and is bubbling like crazy.

I will let the 'new' starter go for several days to make sure it's done, then I will cold-crash and freeze down the slurry to be used for future brews.
    PortLargo likes this.
  16. cfrobrew

cfrobrew Member

What process do you use to freeze your yeast? Have you been doing that for a while?
  17. joshodonn

joshodonn Member

Eh, short answer is I have only tried it once and it failed, but I know guys who do it all the time. Basically what I plan on doing is cold-crashing my starter, decanting most, but not all of the starter wort, and then swirling to make everything a uniform slurry. Then I will mix the slurry with an equal amount of glycerine (you can buy glycerine at most pharmacies). The glycerine helps protect the yeast cells from ice crystals. I will then give this a good swirl to mix, and then will add about 40 ml to some sterile 50 ml laboratory grade conical tubes that I have (I'm not filling them completely due to expansion as they freeze). I work for a large laboratory product supplier so I have easy access to all sorts of things to help with this process. As I mentioned I did try this once before and failed. The failure was due to the fact that neither of my freezers would quickly freeze the 50% glycerine solution, everything would seperate out before they froze. To freeze them more quickly I'm going to use dry ice. My local grocery store sells big chunks, but I think pellets would work better. I'm pretty sure I know where I can get the pellets, but if I can't find pellets I'm sure the big chunks will work just fine. After they are frozen I'll store them in the freezer inside a styrofoam freezer box packed full with ice packs to hopefully keep them a pretty uniform temperature. When it's time to use them I'll just slowly thaw one tube and use that to make my starter.
  18. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Member

Just a quick point (from years of experience), dry ice alone won't do much for freezing quickly. Instead, when making your glycerol yeast stocks, make a bath of dry ice and ethanol (if lab grade 70% not available, get the highest proof vodka you can), it will freeze the stock incredibly quickly. We use dry ice ethanol baths on the spot when we run out of liquid nitrogen. The only downside is that your pen marks will come off, so make sure to buy a lab marker that is ethanol proof.
    Beerontwowheels likes this.
  19. Summer78

Summer78 Member

How long will it keep in the fridge and not the freezer?
    cfrobrew likes this.
  20. joshodonn

joshodonn Member

eh, that I can't answer. I think I've heard of people holding slurries in the fridge for a month or so....
  21. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Member

Since the dry ice/solvent won't come in contact with the yeast, you don't need 'clean' solvents for this procedure. Acetone from the hardware store is cheaper than any ethanol and can achieve lower temps than dry ice/ETOH. It's the standard 'ice' bath for making nitroglycerine...

Josh: Make sure your freezer doesn't have a defrost cycle - not good for stuff you want to keep really cold.
  22. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Member

Wasn't suggesting ethanol because it was 'clean', was suggesting because readily available, but..... Didn't even think of acetone (Ph.D. in Neuro lab, so never have any acetone on hand), good suggestion.
  23. InVinoVeritas

InVinoVeritas Member

So I've had it on a stir plate since Sat evening and it's still not getting the shift from the brown translucent wort to the creamy color sign of yeast multiplication. Sad, but I think I know the asnwer . . . is it a lost cause at this point? Or should I step up with another fresh wort addition (currently 325ml starter, jump to 750ml). Pretty disapointed at the outlook . . . had this planned for a DIPA or making my own hybrid cross strain yeast. :(
  24. Summer78

Summer78 Member

if this is your original can or two, i would definitely try adding 500more ml. i hardly noticed any action after my first step. then when i stepped up i started getting better action and results. don't give up, don't ever give up.
  25. InVinoVeritas

InVinoVeritas Member

I collected three cans worth before I started the starter Sat. I don't have any more Heady, so I gotta hope a couple yeast cells start having fun. May be wroth just tossing in more wort . . . it's cheap anyways.
  26. PortLargo

PortLargo Member

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pear Harbor?

It ain't over until you decide it's over.
    cfrobrew likes this.
  27. VikeMan

VikeMan Member

This would be a tall order. First, unless I'm mistaken (bio lab guys please chime in), sexual reproduction is fairly uncommon, and if you did get any hybrid cells produced this way, you'd need to isolate one of them and propagate it.
  28. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Member

Solely from working in a yeast lab on my grad school rotations, yeast crossing is a pain in the ass and takes a fair amount of expertise or training (I had someone watch me do everything and train me). My guess here was that it was a semantics thing, not actually crossing yeast.
  29. InVinoVeritas

InVinoVeritas Member

Sorry, I meant in my mind mixture rather than the words I wrote as a new strain.
  30. dblab33

dblab33 Member

Quick question to those that have done this. I poured dregs from one can into ~250 ml of 1.020 wort and put it on the stir plate for about 48 hours then cold crashed for 24 hours. This is what it looked like before decanting:

[​IMG]

So I added ~700 ml of 1.030 wort last night along with more yeast nutrient and put it back on the stir plate. Within less than 10 minutes, I had a thick layer of foam as shown below -

[​IMG]

I have never had a starter foam that much that quickly and I'm a bit curious if this is okay. From what I have been reading, it should be a good sign that I have some very active yeast on my hands... but would it really take off that quickly? I checked it again this morning and the foam layer is still thick and pretty dense. Any thoughts? Am I just being paranoid?
  31. VikeMan

VikeMan Member

It's okay. For whatever reason, conditions were optimal for short lag.
    dblab33 likes this.
  32. dblab33

dblab33 Member

Thanks for the reply, assumed I was just being paranoid in thinking something was awry... I've just never had this happen so quickly before.
  33. Summer78

Summer78 Member

i didnt have a stirplate and had the same reaction. i didnt cold crash after first step though, just added more wort.
  34. dblab33

dblab33 Member

Now approaching 48 hours and it still looks just like it does in the picture above. Should I cold crash and move on to the next step or leave this on the stir plate for a while longer?
  35. InVinoVeritas

InVinoVeritas Member

Sorry for the poor picture, but it looks like I may have something after all. It's been on the stir plate MUCH longer than anyone has mentioned thus far . . . must have just had a very small cell count at the start.

[​IMG]

Just doubled the volume today, adding 325 ml of fresh wort.
  36. PortLargo

PortLargo Member

Now approaching 48 hours and it still looks just like it does in the picture above. Should I cold crash and move on to the next step or leave this on the stir plate for a while longer?

If it's still producing gas (foamy head) then it's still producing alcohol which means the yeast are doing their thing. My experience is when it stops . . . it stops. Fairly clear when the party is over. Also, you can take a gravity reading, it should end up below 1.010. I say let it continue, your count will probably bump up and no real danger in giving it another day. My past harvests have taken a lot longer than I ever expected.
  37. PortLargo

PortLargo Member

It's almost like the yeast are messing with you. At the ballpark they used to show the "Germans bomb Pearl Harbor" clip when the home team trailed going into the bottom of the ninth. So maybe all you needed was to put on your rally cap. Okay, so it took extra innings, but it looks like you have a decent slurry of active Conan yeast . . . in addition to a new son.
    InVinoVeritas likes this.
  38. InVinoVeritas

InVinoVeritas Member

Man, that is one hell of an outlook and sports analogy!
  39. InVinoVeritas

InVinoVeritas Member

Foaming like others have mentioned . . . man I gotta pull out the regular camera, cell just isn't cutting it.
    [​IMG]
  40. dblab33

dblab33 Member

I am in no hurry to use it, so I am going to let it go another 24 hours or so and see what happens. I took it off the stir plate for a little while today and there was a pretty thick layer settling out within a couple hours. I'll probably cold crash tomorrow and then step up to 1 L of 1.040 and go from there. Thinking about pitching the next step into a 2.5 gal batch of ~1.050 APA then washing to get plenty for future DIPA experiments.