1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Has Alesmith IPA changed?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by Bige413, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Bige413

Bige413 Aspirant (40) Sep 25, 2012

Not sure if its just me. One of my favorite brews, Alesmith IPA seems to be different lately. The first, second, third etc. I had were just what I am looking for. Golden, hazy, bits floating around and that all around creamy, slick feel. Now with the new label it seems more filtered and thin. I can see right through it. Whats going on?

2. I think they started force carbonating their beers versus the old way of bottle conditioning.

3. ChazMania

ChazMania Savant (260) California Jun 13, 2006

I agree, its changed and not for the better.

4. DrtyBvrJuce

DrtyBvrJuce Initiate (0) California Jan 17, 2013

I can't say its filtered but all the 22oz offerings are now force carved and bottled on their new line. The 750ml offerings are still bottle conditioned. I haven't noticed a change in the draft offering which is 90% of my consumption. Tastes the same to me.

5. I noticed that it was missing the ugly chunks last time. It also seemed to not be as amazing. I thought it was old since they don't bottle date, but that was right around the time of te lable change and it had the new lable. I just grabbed one to send as an extra, but I guess I'll have to try it first.

6. Oisin

Oisin Aficionado (215) California Oct 14, 2005

I feel both sad and vindicated when I hear your responses. I tried about four bottles after my first bad impression with Alesmith IPA. I've now given up; I don't buy it anymore. I even called the brewery to tell them of my experience.

That wonderful resiny, citrusy hoppiness is gone and the mouth feel is thin. What had formerly been my favorite IPA now doesn't even register on my radar--wouldn't even put it in a top ten list.

Just sad.

ImJ2x likes this.
  7. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

I bought a bottle right off the line Monday. Can't get any fresher. Good but nothing special.

8. How could you buy something off the line on a Monday? Or was it off the line Monday and you bought it later in the week?

9. evilc

Woops, it was Tuesday. I walked in to pickup my Kopi's and BAON - the line was running full swing, IPA was on the line. I asked the guy if I could have one right off the line and he pulled one.

10. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

That's really cool.

Penguin3200 likes this.
  11. evilc

He said it "messed them up". He had to put another bottle back on the line ( post filling ) from another box that was pulled from that same day so things didn't get messed up.

12. Which do you prefer out the past 4 (if you have had all of them):

BAD
    BASS
    BAWH
    BAON

13. evilc

I have all 4 of those but have not yet opened WH and ON.

BASS > BAD '10 though. I did drink the Decadence right after a King Henry so I might have been a little judgmental.

I am going to do a tasting soon with all 4 of this years BA and their counterparts, just need to find a '10 Decadence.

14. I liked the BAWH more than the BASS, but I've always had a thing for the Scotch ales. Somebody told me they really like the BAD10, but I missed out on that sale, so I just have to go by their word. :)

15. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Savant (410) California Apr 5, 2006

I don't think the IPA has been right lately, on draft at the brewery or out of bottles. The XPA had a similar issue late last year but it has been good again. It's a small brewery, not gonna get the same beer every time.

16. I am sipping on a bottle from 1/13/2013 right now. Def. not as good as it use to be. Very low hop presence on the nose and taste. Almost like a really old bottle but I know it's fresh. Since they started force carbing and filtering the hell out of the beer it has lost a lot of it's character. On a side note, Speedway has also had some issues. Last two bottles I bought I have noticed it's not as thick and chewy as it use to be and a very light coffee flavor now. Really thin and odd.

17. It is now force carbonated but I was under the impression it's been this way for about a year now? Maybe somebody can confirm. I still think it's a damn great IPA but does loose some of it's charm.

18. Did you get any Old Rumskull? That stuff was better than BA Old Numbskull.

19. I didn't; was out of town that Saturday. Sh#t.

20. stawn

stawn Savant (325) California Sep 16, 2008

Completely agree. Had the IPA in the tasting room last week and it was missing that citrus, piney punch. When that beer is on, it's DAMN good though!

21. dar482

dar482 Advocate (690) New York Mar 9, 2007

I loved this on tap, but refuse to buy it without a bottling date on the bottle. What a shame.

22. It's dated now on the shoulder of the bottle in yellow print.
    I just grabbed one dated 3/14/13 it was amazing.

dar482 likes this.
  23. dar482

dar482 Advocate (690) New York Mar 9, 2007

Thanks. I'll look out for this now. I guess I've been seeing old bottles that haven't been taken off of the shelves.

24. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

Anybody been there lately? Like in last week? Was wondering if they still have Speedway Stout with Vietnamese coffee on tap and growler fills? Thanks.

25. I was there this past Friday. Yes it's on tap, but they weren't filling growlers/grumblers that day

26. They rarely do growlers of their tasting-room only kegs.

27. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

Except for Vietnamese Coffee Speedway, which has been available for grumblers on a semi-regular basis over the past few months.

28. dcgunman

Sorry, but what's a grumbler?

29. Xul

Alesmith's term for a 32oz growler.

30. Grumbler != Growler

31. Xul

I read it as dcgunman asking if it was available fills at all, not specifically for 64oz growler fills. I don't think he's local, so he wouldn't have known to use the word "grumbler" vs "growler."

To be entirely clear - when VCSS is on for fills, it's only in 32oz grumblers, which I believe are $5 for the glass, and fills of VCSS are $14. I may be off a dollar or two on either of those figures, but both are close if not correct.

dcgunman likes this.
  32. MiScusi

MiScusi Advocate (615) California Feb 12, 2005

nothing special

33. dcgunman

Yes, I'm from HB and have not been to Alesmith yet. Been to ABC about 20 times and am heading there again today. I stopped in Societe & O'Brien's Pub yesterday. I wanted to check out Hess and Alesmith yesterday also but they are closed on Mondays. So I'll be stopping at Alesmith on way back home after ABC. I heard that Alesmith had VCSS on tap. I had a taste of VCSS up at KRBC on the last Citra release and thought it was fantastic. So I would like to take a growler of it back home. So they do have grumbler fills? That would be great! A grumbler is half of a growler? Good to know. Thanks again. Cheers.

34. As of this past Friday, they were not doing any fills of VCSS unfortunately. They have in the past though, so who knows, maybe you'll get lucky. I think they've also got a cask of speedway with vanilla lined up for this week, was bummed that I will not be around for that one.

35. dcgunman

Good to know. Thanks! I will still be stopping in to check them out. Maybe I can get hem to sell a grumbler of VCSS. Cheers.

36. Get them? Uh, yeah. Tell me when you'll be in there today, so I can go for the entertainment. :)

37. Vanilla bean Speedway cask was just announced via FB. Gonna see if I can make it in for a pour after my run at Lake Miramar. :)

38. They also will have an Italian coffee Speedway (first time I've seen this as a variant) and BA Old Numbskull up on tap, but no growler/grumbler fills for either. Might end up a little buzzed this evening.

39. Does it get pretty crowded on weeknights in the tasting room?

40. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (390) California Mar 13, 2009

Eh, not that crowded. It does on Fridays though.