1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Has Alesmith IPA changed?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by Bige413, Jan 26, 2013.

1. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

Did not make it to Alesmith. Ate n drank at Alpine Pub and then stocked up on Duet, Nelson and Pure Hoppiness. Forgot about the time and left for Alesmith. 30 minute too early. Forgot they opened at 2. Oh well. I don't think they had the VCSS on anyways. My next brewery visit to the area I will plan better. But in the meantime I am good with my Alpine beers! ;) And Societe beers! :)
  2. No, they did not have VCSS. They had an Italian coffee Speedway, and a Vanilla Speedway on cask - neither of which were available for grumbler or growler fills. They also had out some barrel aged Numbskull.

You could have gone over to Ballast Point to have a beer or two and headed back.
  3. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

Been there a couple of time before. Never to Alesmith.
  4. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (360) California Mar 13, 2009

Stuff on at Alesmith right now is great. Vanilla cask was decent, but Italian Coffee was superb. BAON is always good, of course.
  5. I wasn't a big fan of the Italian Coffee SS - too strong of a taste for my wimpy palate. I was considering having them pour me a regular Speedway in the 8 oz. glass, then mixing the Italian coffee SS with it 50/50.

I should have had the BAON first - after having the Speedways, it came across as too boozy.

What time were you there?
  6. I normally am not a fan of stuff on cask (esp BA Speedway, yuck), but Vanilla Speedway cask tasted nice and creamy to me. It wasn't vanilla forward IMO, but the vanilla played a supporting role that made the chocolate notes stand out to me, and the mouthfeel was similar to nitro. I really really enjoyed it.

I also tried the Italian espresso variant and thought it stood up well. It was certainly strong in the coffee department, but very well done. Complementary and not annoying. Being a coffee geek, I didn't mind the coffee forwardness at all and thought that the base Speedway held up well against it.
  7. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (360) California Mar 13, 2009

6:15 - 7
  8. I'm always wondering if some of the people I often see are clandestine BA posters.

I was there around 4:30 - 5:00.
  9. SageO

SageO Savant (360) California Jul 13, 2010

There were a LOT of people there for a Tuesday (normally on Tuesdays there are like 4 people) - I'm sure a number of BA's.
  10. We ought to get tattoos, or come up with some sort of secret sign, so we can identify other BAs.
  11. ImJ2x

ImJ2x Initiate (0) California Jan 3, 2012

I used to love their IPA. But the last 2 or 3 bombers I've had have been unimpressive. I don't know why. :(