1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Has Anyone Been To North Coast Brewing Since They Re opened The Taproom Earlier This Month?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by Mark, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Mark

Mark Advocate (585) California Jun 18, 2001

I heard they have a fancier and more expensive menu now which I don't like the sound of. Also are they still offering Red Seal cask conditioned? Thanks for any answers and impressions.
  2. More expensive? Jeez, that place was a ripoff before. . .
  3. Mark

Mark Advocate (585) California Jun 18, 2001

Thanks for reponding even if it wasn't what I'm trying to find out. I have always loved the bar area in their taproom, very pub like. Yes it's too expensive food wise (our favorite was always Taco Tuesday) but beer prices are fair, really good at happy hour. They have been closed on Mon-Tues since late summer, why I have no clue but if it's to save $$ I don't get why they would jack up prices further. I'm really going to be bent out of shape if they don't have their beer engline working. I love Cask Red Seal. The cask has been down for months, I don't know what gives with that.
  4. Everytime I've went, its been no barrel aged beers on tap, no cask beer, just beer I could get at Safeway, poor service + automatic gratuity, small portions, relatively spartan accomodations, few people there. . .

Love many of their beers, just don't see a reason to go to the taproom.
  5. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Totally agree with the beer selection. They need to put something on tap that you can't just get in any store in California. What's the point of driving two hours to get Red Seal on tap? I can get it by walking five minutes.
    PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  6. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (530) California Aug 11, 2007

I have only been to have a glass of beer there once. I stop by the brewery every year through my passing to see if any cool beers are available. The past couple of years, I walked out empty handed.

Why don't they keep BA Rasputin or BA Old Stock on tap there? I would always go get a glass, but all they have is the same stuff I can get for very very good and better prices in the bottles at any grocery store.
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  7. Its like going to a TNA show and not having Jeff Hardy or RVD on the card. What's the point?

I can get bottles of Bully Ray at Wal Mart, I'm not making a special trip for that.
    abecall98 likes this.
  8. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (530) California Aug 11, 2007

It's like going to RAW and not seeing Darren Young interrupt John Cena. PTP.
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  9. Rufus 'Pancake' Patterson rulz!

John Cena is the white Darren Young!

They should let PTP just drink some Black Tuesday and cut promos at Wrestlemania. Pure entertainment.
  10. MLucky

MLucky Savant (345) California Jul 31, 2010

Too bad no one has been able to answer your question. I'm curious myself. I tend to be in the area at least once every summer and I usually stop in at the pub, even though I agree with most of the criticisms people have voiced here.

At least there's always Piacci's....
  11. danscott

danscott Savant (300) California Jul 15, 2006

Because visiting breweries is awesome.
    Because fresh beer made on location, especially in larger producers, is way better than anything you are getting in a bottle five minutes from your house. The beer quality at the North Coast taproom is outrageous.
    Because he was talking about Red Seal on cask, not on tap, which is not at your corner store, or anywhere near you, I'll wager.
  12. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Actually, Red Seal on cask is available quite often at my local English pub.

And I agree that visiting breweries is awesome. I should have been a little clearer. I've visited there before, and they provided me with no reason to go out of my way to visit them again. For me, one of the draws of visiting a brewery is being able to drink something I can't get anywhere else. If they don't have that option, then that just sucks. I'm not going back just for the food.
  13. danscott

danscott Savant (300) California Jul 15, 2006

Agreed. Just one BA something? I would happily pay out the nose for a small glass rather than pay out the nose for a medium sized bottle.
    abecall98 likes this.
  14. Gilmango

Gilmango Savant (285) California Jul 17, 2007

I still stop in everytime I'm up that way (every year or so) and likely still will. Why? I guess it's a tradition, not out of the way in the slightest; decent food and drink; kids welcome and kid friendly foods, crayons, prices for their food; and can see any relevant mainstream sports. But, yeah, nothing special in the least beyond fresh beer, maybe a cask Red Seal, but until someone else ups the ante in Ft Bragg where else is there in that area?