1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Has anyone had the New Albion yet?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DrinkSlurm, Jan 4, 2013.

1. masshlx and azorie like this.
  2. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Savant (350) Connecticut Oct 21, 2009

Just picked up a 6 pack today . Going to try it tonight.

3. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

not seen it yet! wish it was here. I enjoy the simple english ales and porters. I wish I could remember the originals, but it been too long...simple plain porter is all my old brain tells me. what did they come out with first?

4. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Really nice bit of film there. Thanks for posting the link.

5. azorie

i looked on the sam adams web site and i could not the beer listed, what style is out first? thanks!

6. Think he released all three of his initial beers at the same time - Ale, Porter and Stout. All with the same label design. He started production in Aug., 1976. Retailed for 95¢ to $1.05 "...making them probably the most expensive produced in the U.S...." according to The Brewers Digest (11/79).

pghlee likes this.
  7. azorie

sorry I was not clear? i was really asking which beer is sa making first. my bad i was not clear here. thanks for that, its why I said Sam adams web site.... I do not think they sell any here yet, so I was curious which style is being rereleased???

also sorry using new iPad & my typing sucks

8. Just coming out now, so it probably hasn't hit every market but reports say "nationwide". Everything I've read suggests it's a one-time release of just the New Albion Ale, but if it's successful, who knows.

[​IMG]

I *think* the story is that Koch claimed the trademark in the '90's (to prevent it from being mis-used by another brewery, he said) and for the trademark to be maintained they had to use it commercially.

flexabull likes this.
  9. azorie

too bad no porter or stout, oh well. ale will been a nice treat.

10. Very cool story, will need to give it a try.

11. MLucky

MLucky Savant (380) California Jul 31, 2010

I think "re-releasing" this beer is a great project, and hats off to Boston Brewing for honoring Jack McAuliffe. But I wouldn't expect anything amazing from the beer. They printed the recipe in one of the homebrewing mags (Brew Your Own, I think) and judging by that this is going to be a fairly modest pale ale, with lower gravity, IBUs, and ABV than what a lot of craft beer drinkers might expect these days. I'm not saying it won't be good, but don't expect to be blown away.

12. To answer the question, it's the pale ale.

azorie likes this.
  13. azorie

true but a the time it was so special.....I guess I am weird but i like these simple ales.

14. Just called New Albion Ale on everything I've found, as it was originally (and noted above) - no "pale".

Only "ale" was pretty typical of the era (Ballantine Ale, Rainier Ale, etc), even Anchor's Liberty Ale has no other descriptor term.

[​IMG]

15. As a fan of English-style pale ales, I'll definitely try to find this somewhere. It could be fun having one of these and a bottle of Anchor Steam Beer, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and Samuel Adams Boston Lager in a single evening. Respect your elders!

16. F'in' Brilliant! I think I'll join you in that time capsule, maybe listening to the Damned while I'm there...

fuzzylogic, davey101 and glaze3 like this.
  17. dbert21

dbert21 Aficionado (160) Ohio Jun 20, 2012

Just picked up a 6 pack at Jungle Jims in Fairfield Ohio (Cincinnati)...Haven't tried it yet but can't wait. Very cool story.

18. jmich24

jmich24 Savant (440) Michigan Jan 28, 2010

This

19. I, for one, have reached the point where I am blown away when I can find a U.S. "craft" beer that prizes subtlety over mind/tongue-numbingly extreme flavor blasts.

Just saw this beer in my local bottle shop earlier this evening. Plan to pick some up tomorrow.

Vav, StuartCarter, JrGtr and 7 others like this.
  20. Looking forward to this one whenever I see it.

21. huysmans

huysmans Savant (330) New Jersey Dec 5, 2007

22. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

Basic Brewing Radio did 2 interviews with Jack that are very good. 10/30/2012 for the New Albion Ale and 5/9/2012 for a bit of history on the brewery. Very interesting interviews, especially the one in May.

23. This, from the above:
    seems to contradict somewhat this comment by BBC brewer Dean Giancostas: (from A Legend Returns: New Albion):
    and we wonder how so much beer history from 50, 100 or 200 years ago can be so contradictory and confusing. ;)

Chaz and cavedave like this.
  24. dowab

dowab Aficionado (150) Ohio Nov 24, 2005

I was luck enough to have some at last years Great American Beer Festival. Simply a good pale ale.

25. JimKal

JimKal Savant (325) North Carolina Jul 31, 2011

Actually, I think there are a lot of BAs that agree with you. Perhaps because I'm older than many on this site I really prefer something that I can enjoy but has a lower ABV bill. I'm looking forward to finding some New Albion.

26. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Savant (350) Connecticut Oct 21, 2009

Tried this last night. Solid pale. Hoppier than i thought it would be. Tastes suspiciously like a sweeter boston lager! Good piece of history here and a easy drinking brew.

JimKal likes this.
  27. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Champion (755) Ohio Jul 4, 2005

I'm looking forward to trying this one. I picked up a 6-pack this morning, so I'll drink a bottle or 2 later today.

28. Am drinking one as I type this...a pretty solid pale ale, very balanced and enjoyable. Kind of wishing I bought more than 2 bottles of it today.

29. I believe Michael Jackson interviews the starters of New Albion in his Beer Hunter series, the episode shot in California. This is great to see and I would love to try it.

30. Got a link to that? The California episode that I recall was mostly centered around Maytag and Anchor. They did stop into the Hopland brewpub (which evolved into Mendocino Brewing Co.) so that would have been after New Albion closed (some of the brewers and equipment, IIRC, from NA wound up at Hopland).

The chronology wouldn't be right either, since The Beer Hunter series seem to have been filmed in the late '80's, so after New Albion's demise - not that an interview with McAuliffe couldn't have been done after that, of course, and it would be interesting to see his thought so soon after closing.

31. He did interview them in the california segment. I've watched that about 100 times. Someone posted the segment in 3 parts on youtube, but the interview is missing between the above segment and the start of 3. They were not in business at the time

32. kennyo

kennyo Savant (425) New York Jan 30, 2003

picked up a six last night, had 3 bottles of it, nice pale ale. I assume this might have been an extreme beer back in 1976

33. Yeah, that's why I asked for a link, since I've never been able to find it but had dim memories of it - when it was shown on US TV? Or maybe I've only read about? I might have only seen the show on PBS since I might not have had cable at the time and have never been able to find that on the 'net. I guess I always figured that what I recalled wasn't part of the Beer Hunter series since the chronology didn't "work". Being edited out of that episode (for whatever reason - and maybe only for Dutch TV?) would be the explanation.

By "they" are you talking McAuliffe and ? -- His partner at the brewery was a Suzanne Stern, but some of his other workers wound up at Hopland, correct?

34. Just found a clip of the interview, I always thought the 2 people in this clip started new albion. But their names are michael levette and don barkley.

start at about 16.00 on this clip and you will see them talking.

35. Yeah, both of them worked at New Albion (well, a Michael Lovett did- I'm guessing it's the same guy?). I've got an article from 1980 with pics of both them- Barclay's listed there as NA's "plant general manager". Will post if interested.

36. Ya, I would like to see that. I think it is the same guy, Lovett, it was a bit hard to tell what Jackson was saying.

37. Just added the entire short article to the bottom of my New Albion page.

Yeah, that's what I figured, too.

azorie and JimKal like this.
  38. Anyone know where the heck I can get this in San Diego? Been calling around to a few bottle shops and surprisingly nobody has it.

39. azorie

Not to long ago many did not, but things are always changing.

I can really appreciate any beer that has any taste above a BMC.

That said I always preferred beers that tried to have a balance to them. Not saying that if you like hops for hops sake that they are wrong but to me it ruins the beers. NA did this back then. Somewhere along the way more hops somehow equaled better beer? NOT TO me. I really think Craft will never rise about 6% or so of the market with extreme beers. But of course that is just my 2 cents.

JimKal likes this.
  40. Pegli

Pegli Savant (305) Rhode Island Aug 30, 2006

Picked up two sixers on Saturday and can't stop drinking it...I'm going to hoard this like most BAers do with bourbon barrel-aged imperial stouts.