1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Has anyone had the New Albion yet?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DrinkSlurm, Jan 4, 2013.

1. azorie

azorie Member

I wish it would get here already, sigh.
  2. MilkManX

MilkManX Member

Yeah I am looking forward to this. I love regular ol tasty Pale Ales.
  3. jerkstore81

jerkstore81 Member

Finally had a bottle last night. If you haven't had it yet, I'd recommend keeping your expectations muted. IMO it drinks more like a macro lager than a pale ale. I could see this being a refreshing beer on a hot summer day, just don't expect a flavor bomb. Glad I got to drink a little piece of craft beer history.
    jcb7472 and bluejacket74 like this.
  4. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Member

I bought a 6-pack last week and tried a bottle, and didn't think much of it then. I had another bottle and reviewed it last night, and I completely agree about it drinking more like a macro lager than a pale ale. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that.
  5. El_Zilcho

El_Zilcho Member

Its nothing special in the beer world today, I agree it tastes more like a macro lager. But if you take your mind back to when this beer came out, and what the alternatives were, it would have been something amazing back in the day.
    Tballz420 likes this.
  6. EvoJoe

EvoJoe Member

I was able to pick up a 6 pack the other day. Nothing fancy which is nice to see. It's a simple solid ale. But now watching the video I have more respect for the beer.
    BJasny and JrGtr like this.
  7. joeebbs

joeebbs Member

I agree. I drink more balanced beers in 12oz than extreme beers in bombers. For craft to rise above that 6% you need more breweries like Boston, Anchor, and Sierra who make flavorful 5% ABV beers and are in all 50 states. But some breweries may not want to do that plus to get that big people start arguing whether or not you're craft. (in those examples Sierra and Boston make plenty more different beers than just the single-digit ABVs)
    azorie likes this.
  8. Brunite

Brunite Member

Thanks to this thread for reminding me to look for this on my stock-up trip tomorrow.
  9. patkorn

patkorn Member

Over the bar at Russian River pub is the original New Albion sign.
    ESeab likes this.
  10. jdauria

jdauria Member

Have to say I was really disappointed when I first tried this. So used to the pale ales of today, that I was expecting something with a wow factor, but it was pretty blah. However, saying that, once realizing that based on what was around in early 80's and knowing it's not an out of this world beer, I enjoyed the beer the second time around as a nice refreshing basic beer.
  11. JimKal

JimKal Member

An interesting taste of craft beer history. This is very clear and a bit darker than a standard lager. I find that I need to try something more than once, and sometimes a few times, before I can tell if it is a repeat for me. My first impression is that it is not a hop forward as most of the Pale Ales we see today. But, kudos to Sam Adams for bringing this one back. Also, I think it would be a nice transitional beer for those moving from BMC to craft.
  12. diesel59

diesel59 Member

nice... I live 15 minutes from there.... I will have to check it out.... thanks...
  13. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Member

What I found interesting about this beer is that I couldn't think of another beer that which it reminded me of. I sensed some corn in there, which I'm pretty sure there isn't, the carbonation was very low and the alcohol was overly pronounced for 6% ABV.

Like others said, impressive for the 70s, and serviceable for today.
  14. TinCup69

TinCup69 Member

Almost bought a 6 pack today but restrained only because I have bought a shit load of beer lately. Since I restrained yesterday I'm going to buy it tomorrow, I waited a day that's good for me.
  15. dougbehn

dougbehn Member

had one wednesday...not bad, not great either, lagerish ale, if there is such a brew
  16. DanK4

DanK4 Member

I dig it man- it's a total throwback to the pre-craft-beer-explosion days. Been selling it off as a SNPA meets Liberty Ale influence. I'm not always impressed with SA beers or what they do, but this was a serious up in my book for releasing this beer. Simple and tasty, nothing more than I expected.
    JrGtr likes this.
  17. Skunkdrool

Skunkdrool Member

For what it is, its pretty good. Simple Cascade Pale Ale. Reminds me of Sierra's Pale.
  18. beercanman

beercanman Member

Meh. Nothing to write home about
  19. Ispeakforthetrees

Ispeakforthetrees Member

Hadn't seen it before,
    Got it in a mix-six in Denver 1/7
  20. BrainGrenades

BrainGrenades Member

For those of you in San Diego (like myself) I think it's finally hitting town next week. I'm still looking forward to trying it.
  21. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member

I had a couple over the weekend. Really enjoyed it. Very refreshing. Will try to get another 6 pack if possible...
  22. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Member

I really liked it. Very much an "old school" craft ale.
  23. ESeab

ESeab Member

Had it. Tastes like if BMC made good beer. Like a high life that was tasty. Like most said, a 'refreshing' beer. Had the IPL too, that was awesome IMO.
  24. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Member

“Like a high life that was tasty.”

I don’t think I ever saw the word “high life” and “tasty” in the same sentence before!

Cheers!
    ESeab likes this.
  25. MLucky

MLucky Member

Yes. It's OK. Probably better than I thought it'd be, based on the recipe they published for it which was nothing but two-row and cascade. (Hey, it's a SMaSH beer, who'd a-thunk?) I thought the malt would be pretty bland, but actually very nice in a session beer kind of way. Kudos to SA for honoring New Albion and putting this out.
  26. Real light. Not too much flavor. 6.5% I believe, but drinks like an easy session.

Not worth seeking out, but a cool tribute.
    WoodburyMN likes this.
  27. rob133

rob133 Member

Anyone seen this in the Bay Area yet? I figured I would pick up a sixer when I saw it, but so far I haven't noticed it on the shelves anywhere.
  28. Seanvino

Seanvino Member

Haven't seen it in the South Bay yet. Keeping a look out as this was one of the first crafts I tried back in the day.
    Sh!t i'm old;)
  29. jesskidden

jesskidden Member

The Boston Beer Co. lists "New Albion" as one the products on the Samuel Adams' "Beer Finder" webpage. Don't know how well it works, or how up to date it is.
    rob133 likes this.
  30. jcb7472

jcb7472 Member

I saw at my local beer store over the weekend, $7.99 for a 6-pack. I bought a single of it because I just wanted to try one ($1.99). I agree that it tastes more like a macro lager than a craft pale ale. I was not very impressed with it. Don't get my wrong - it was OK, and I like the story behind it and all that, but I don't see myself buying it again.
    OnWisconsin likes this.
  31. rob133

rob133 Member

Thats a somewhat odd selection of random stores that have it, not one place I would usually go to. Which seems odd as some of those places are usually well stocked with there regular stuff. Not sure I will go out of my way to one of those stores listed, but if I am driving by I guess.
  32. ThisWangsChung

ThisWangsChung Member

Didn't like it.

Having said that, I think it's a great history lesson showing what craft brewing was like 30 years ago.
  33. ShanePB

ShanePB Member

Well made, but unexciting.
  34. bulldogbrewhaus

bulldogbrewhaus Member

Very rarely do I get on here and bash a beer but....I was really not impressed with this beer. Pretty bland, not much body, hops were there but seemed lacking. Taste is subjective so give it a try, and the story is cool. Cheers.
  35. fuzzylogic

fuzzylogic Member

Just a very tasty, sessionable pale ale. A touch of hops and a a bit sweet - I grabbed a single but am now craving a sixer.
  36. dumpman

dumpman Member

Very drinkable brew no extremes here but i liked it and bought a second sixer.
  37. BeerFMAndy

BeerFMAndy Member

I was geeked to see this out there! I grabbed a single of it at my local Woodman's and I'm getting ready to have it now.
  38. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

I had it tonight. I think it's good for what it is.
  39. IainOg

IainOg Member

Grimly Fiendish, we'd hope! ;7)
    TongoRad likes this.
  40. mintjellie

mintjellie Member

This is just a guess, but I would think that most craft breweries get the majority of their sales from their less extreme offerings.

I know they aren't craft anymore, but how much volume do you think Goose Island sells of 312 or Honkers vs. beers like Sofie or the various Bourbon County variants?