1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Has anyone had the New Albion yet?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DrinkSlurm, Jan 4, 2013.

1. It serves a purpose because I don't have a time machine.

I think its a good beer to have in the fridge for older people who don't like too much flavor, people with an allegiance to BMC etc. . .

2. How widely was this beer released? I have only seen it in 6 packs at BevMo here in San Diego.

3. Same in LA. I got a bottle at Total Wine.

4. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

Yes, wasnt a fan.

Cheers!

5. Had it last night. I wasn't a beer drinker back in 1977 since I was not yet a teenager. I do remember getting samples of the beers of that time at summer pool parties from my uncles.

I can't imagine that this New Albion beer was much different from Strohs, Hamms, Olympia, Coors, Bud, Miller in the late 1970's.

6. Its crisp, clean, light, refreshing, with a splash of hops. Its a perfect session beer.

7. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Savant (325) California Mar 19, 2012

Yes. I got a six pack at a BevMo in Sunnyvale. However, I think that it was the last one...

8. Really? You think that an unfiltered, bottle-conditioned, all-malt, 100% Cascade-hopped 6% beer of around 30* ibu's "wasn't much different" from the filtered and pasteurized, high-adjunct major brand macros of the late 1970's, most of which were under 5% and hopped at an average rate of under 20 ibu's?

A bottle of New Albion retailed for 95¢-$1.05 (the most expensive beer in the US at the time - the equivalent of about $3 in today's dollars), so a sixpack of it cost about the same as a case of many of those adjunct lagers you note. That alone suggests that it must have been different enough for people to pay that sort of money for it. (Granted, not a lot of people ;) - they were only putting out 450 bbl/yr in 1980).

*(from the articles I've read about the revived BBC version)​

9. Let me clarify:

The New Albion recipe TASTES a lot like the old 1970's beers. I can't imagine someone in 1977 saying "Wow, that beer is so revolutionary in taste that I will gladly pay a lot more for it".

If everyone was clamoring for New Albion, why did they never make any money and go out of business in 1982?

10. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (360) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

Who says two row and cascade can't be delicious?! (Though I would prefer MO personally)

11. This concept that craft breweries have to be "revolutionary" (or the other current buzzword "innovative") didn't exist in the beginning of the craft era. New Albion, and the other early crafts like Anchor, Sierra Nevada and Boulder, saw their beers as returning to the market the traditional beer styles that, in the US, were swept aside by the rise and dominance of adjunct light lagers. NA's McAuliffe's main inspiration were the UK ales he'd drank in the Navy while stationed in Scotland.

I do think this general "ehh" attitude that modern day craft drinkers are giving this revived New Albion (which, as someone who's been drinking 'craft' since the beginning, I agree with to a large extent) is an example of how far craft beers' taste profiles have grown and become more varied, while during the same period the national popular brands have continued to get lighter, and "light" beer has replaced adjunct light lager as the dominant beer style. The gap between the taste(s) of "craft" and that of "macro" light lagers/light beers has become greater.

Michael Jackson sounded as if he thought it hit that mark, writing that "New Albion Ale is truest to the model (of English ale) in its hoppy bitterness and well-attenuated body" in his first Pocket Guide to Beer.

I didn't say "everyone was clamoring for New Albion" (although they did claim to have requests for orders that they couldn't fulfill due to the size of their tiny make-shift brewery) - on the contrary, I specifically noted they only had a capacity of 450 bbl/yr. But I did suggest that the people who did buy it at 3-4 times the price probably didn't think it tasted just like Oly or Strohs.

And while they did make a profit in some years, there are many reasons why breweries fail - if tasting like Coors, Miller and Bud was one of them, well...

jmgrub likes this.
  12. drtth

drtth Champion (870) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Basing your analysis/argument in part on 40 year old sensory memories is pretty shaky, if only because your taste buds and tastes are different with age on them. But trusting your tasting memories from that long ago...?

Well, I'd say show us the data, please, or that you might want to revise your imaginings.

JrGtr likes this.
  13. MLucky

MLucky Savant (380) California Jul 31, 2010

Nobody would say it can't be done. But two row's pretty bland on its own. I think there's a reason that the vast majority of pale ale recipes contain at least some crystal, some munich, MO, or some more flavorful grain.

mountsnow1010 likes this.
  14. I just got my hands on it this week. Haven't tried it yet but am looking forward to it.

15. BJasny

BJasny Savant (385) Texas Jul 10, 2011

I've had 1 or 2 and I've rather enjoyed it so far

16. Typical Samuel Adams: hype, low-to-mid-grade quality, and an awesome cap. I wonder how it would have been had a smaller, less flashy brewery had a chance to brew it. Did I mention the cap is awesome?

17. it was pretty good but it didn't meet the expectations i had for it....awesome looking bottle, cool idea...mediocre product. no better than boston lager

18. And I quit. I'm done with beer dorks.

19. yay!

20. It was a nice marketing gesture by Jim Koch to recognize one of the beers that started the craft generation. And he had to make money some time on his owning the New Albion brand and recipe. But if this beer were never to come out, we all wouldn't be any worse off. Not that there is anything wrong with it. It's drinkable, sessionable, yada yada.
    For those that continually ask the question "best beer for converting your BMC drinking friends" New Albion is the answer.

21. grabbed a 6'er the other night but made the mistake ( well not really a mistake) of drinking some New england gandhi-bots before. Albions were good but very mild imho.

22. I had some, and was blown away by it's sheer simplicity. It is a really great change of pace from so much of the overdone, overhyped, over the top crap coming out these days. I only ever had one bottle of the original back in the day (circa 1980 or so) and from what I can recall, this recreation of it is pretty much spot on. I actually hope it becomes more than just a 'one off' limited production.

23. MLucky

MLucky Savant (380) California Jul 31, 2010

I had it, too, and I liked it, although I'd probably rather have an Anchor Liberty, which I believe is another all 2-row, all cascade beer. Both are nicely understated, with the Liberty's just a tad hoppier, but I think the Anchor yeast is a lot more interesting. Your results may vary.

24. I wasn't blown away by this version but it did seem to be very faithful to the original and will happily buy again (and I had many back in the day). I would like to see what SA could do recreating the Porter and Stout.

Bitterbill likes this.
  25. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I still haven't seen it in my neck of the woods.:(