1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Has anyone tried any of the beers from the Westbrook Brewing Company?

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by ADemshar, Apr 11, 2012.

1. ADemshar

ADemshar Aficionado (180) Feb 28, 2012

I find Westbrook beers to be totally outstanding. Has anyone else tried these? I know they are a regional brew but they are truly an outstanding brewery. Thoughts?

2. I've tried quite a few of the Westbrook beers as I live about 20-25 mins away and think that they brew some tasty suds. I especially enjoy their lower ABV offerings, such as the American Bitter and the Citra Rye Pale Ale. They also are pretty adventurous in the styles that they brew which leads to some interesting tastes. All in all I think they're a solid brewery that will only get better as their influence grows. Their barrel program isn't too shabby, either. It smells crazy good in that room.

3. Got a sixer of their IPA recently. It had a very nice hoppy floral flavor, but for some reason was quite foamy. I'd have to pour half a can at a time & let it sit because most of the glass would be foam. (And before anyone asks, no, I didn't do anything to cause it to foam.)

4. Duff27

Duff27 Advocate (670) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

I received their IPA as an extra in a trade and thought it was great!

johntangus likes this.
  5. Had the IPA on tap a time or two and enjoyed it, and I really dug the American Bitter...thought that was a well-made beer.

6. Devi0us

Devi0us Advocate (555) California May 3, 2011

I have yet to try one of their brews but I do have a Mexican Cake on the way...can't wait to try it...

Cheers!

7. rjknyy

rjknyy Savant (265) Georgia Nov 7, 2009

I am a big fan of most of there offerings, especially the White Thai, Citra Rye, Cowboy Meets Farmer and Mexican Cake. My in-laws live 15 minutes from the brewery so it makes visiting them more tolerable :)

8. hoppy99

hoppy99 Aficionado (195) Florida Feb 28, 2009

9. I've only enjoyed Mexican Cake at various festivals this year, but i'm heading down to Mt. Pleasant/Charleston next weekend so a stop into the tasting room is a definite.

10. raverjames

raverjames Savant (490) Virginia Dec 11, 2003

Love their beer, but I may be biased. :D

On a side note, we had a massive stout tasting in RVA that featured all of the best stouts and imperial stouts. Mexican Cake was probably one of the favorites of the night among the 20+ people attending.

11. csbinva

csbinva Savant (275) Virginia Jan 13, 2010

Dogdoc has sent me a few in some trades and more to come. I have had their ipa, white thai, mexican cake as well as farmhouse IPA. Great stuff, trying to work a trade to get a few others. Right up there with Coast as far as I'm concerned.

12. mondegreen

mondegreen Savant (430) Georgia Nov 4, 2009

Citrus Ninja Exchange was awesome. Their IPA is pretty decent, too.

StoutMaster77 and rjknyy like this.
  13. rjknyy

I forgot about that one, it was really great.

14. Lichtenhainer Weisse is the best beer made in SC as far as I'm concerned. I really like the variety they keep putting out.

I wish the IPA was more consistent though.

bhalter8 likes this.
  15. Agree on the IPA, growing pains for a young brewery I suppose. There was a batch that was over carbonated, then a batch that had a lot of stuff suspended in it. Both tasted great though so I didn't mind too much. Everything else I've had from them has been top-notch.

Also just FYI for anyone reading this, the Citra Rye isn't being made this year cause they couldn't get any Citra. Instead they are doing a single hop series of rye pale ales starting with Jade, which is out now.

16. thanks for all the kind words. hope to see you guys in the tasting room sometime. i'll be the guy running around with the beard and tattoos. chefkevlar is absolutely right, we haven't been able to get our hands on any citra, so we brewed a pacific jade (new hop variety from new zealand) rye pale ale which should be out and about on draft as we speak and we will be releasing bottles as soon as the labels are in.

woodchopper and gothedistance like this.
  17. awesome. can't wait to visit next week.

18. bhalter8

bhalter8 Savant (330) Georgia Feb 22, 2008

Agreed, I've enjoyed their beers, but I unfortunately have bought 2 sixers of the IPA, and one was the murky variety, & the other was the way overcarbed version. Sucks, since I don't get to buy it that often.

19. Wanted to note that I'll be heading to Charleston for the first time this May on vacation and I'm incredibly excited to stop by the tasting room too. I don't think my other half has realized she's going on a beercation with me yet...

20. The tasting room is amazing; everyone is super friendly and Ed will answer any questions you have. While you're that way, you should stop in at my restaurant, Pawleys Front Porch in Belle Hall Shopping Center (about a mile from the brewery). We carry their canned options along with a bunch of other tasty treats (liquid and food). First one's on me! Ask for Sam.

gothedistance and blamethemovies like this.
  21. I may have spies deployed within the brewery. Either that or I follow the Twitter account...

22. That explains that tiny camera we found the other day ;)

23. Pacific Jade is pretty good too. They tapped a keg of it last week at Greens. I think I preferred the Citra version though. I'm interested to see what hop they use next, I love single hop beers.

24. Not sure if you're in the CLT area, but we're tapping a firkin of barrel aged Westbrook IPA at a certain little spot in Fort Mill on Sunday, starts at 2.

wolfeman007 and gothedistance like this.
  25. Aged on oak chips

26. Can anyone recommend some other beer-stops on the Mt. Pleasant side of the bridge?

27. rjknyy

Bottles is a new retail shop on Coleman Blvd that has a nice selection and a growler station that usually has some locals on it.

28. I need that back, those things are expensive.

29. I can't believe I haven't been here yet, but I have heard nothing but great things about House of Brews on Coleman just before the bridge to Sullivan's.