1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hauenstein in the Twin Cities?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by blackdog1101, May 14, 2012.

1. blackdog1101

blackdog1101 Member

Does anyone know why Schell's doesn't distribute Hauenstein in the Twin Cities? It's a good beer, and I would have to think there are enough people who have moved from out-state to the Cities that would be glad to see it. I'm not originally from MN, but I've had it a couple times and would buy it if it were available.
  2. jesskidden

jesskidden Member

The way I understand it (thanks to Chaz) is that the brand is owned by the distributor Arneson out of Sleepy Eye, MN - Schell is merely the contract-brewer of the brand - so, the question should be asked of them.

(Also ask 'em why they don't have a brand called "Sleepy Eye". I mean, c'mon.)
    blackdog1101 likes this.
  3. Chaz

Chaz Member

The brand is owned by the Arneson family (of Arneson Distributing, Sleepy Eye, MN.) I pestered the heck out of them a couple of years ago (right before the demand for Nordeast went bananas) and they said they intended to be in the Twin Cities market later that spring, but I guess things didn't work out.

It would be nice to see them at, oh, Zipp's or Ale Jail, but Westside in Waite Park might be the closest location to the north of the Cities. Could be as near (south) as Jordan by now? I haven't stopped in to visit any of those nearer-southern suburban and nearer-outstate retailers in a while.

It's at the MGM in St. Peter for what it's worth :cool:
    blackdog1101 likes this.
  4. blackdog1101

blackdog1101 Member

Thanks, I just wrote them. If I hear anything useful from them I'll share it here.
  5. mjryan

mjryan Member

Yeah, that's a nice beer. I really like the artwork. Is it available in cans? I'd like that.
  6. Chaz

Chaz Member

[​IMG]
    12 and 24-pack N.R. bottles, 12-pack cans, and six-pack cans. No kegs that I'm aware of...
  7. mjryan

mjryan Member

Well now. I'm pleased.
  8. ZAP

ZAP Member

Bought it in St. Cloud this past winter...solid beer...would drink more if more available and priced right..
  9. brewseum

brewseum Member

The "priced right" has never been a problem.
  10. Chaz

Chaz Member

Just so long as nobody gets the idea it should be $6.99/12-pack like Burger Classic or Genesee Bock; I'm not really sure how those Easterly breweries keep some of those old geezer brands so darn-cheap ;)

Edit: Here's an article which may be relevant.
  11. hauensteinguy

hauensteinguy Member

I haven't been there in a couple of months but MGM on Vinewood Lane in Plymouth was carrying 12-pack bottles. I've seen them there at least half a dozen times. As I said I haven't been there in a while though so might want to call ahead.

MGM Liquor Warehousemore info[​IMG]
    3900 Vinewood Lane North
    Plymouth, MN 55441
    (763) 557-1080
    mgmwineandspiritsplymouth.com
    Chaz likes this.
  12. gory4d

gory4d Member

I was hoping to find this one for sale on the France 44 site, but I guess not. Anybody know of a MN retailer that will ship it? (Otherwise, and slightly off-topic, I've posted an ISO for this one in the trading forum).
  13. timenjoysbeer

timenjoysbeer Member

I've said it before, but this was my favorite beer in college...it'd be nice to be able to pound a few again.
  14. LittleGus

LittleGus Member

That's funny. When I was in high school (early 80s), Hauenstein was one of those $4 for a case of longnecks really nasty beers.
  15. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Member

The MGM in Plymouth DOES indeed have Hauenstein. Bought some last Saturday. 12 pack bottles.......
  16. gory4d

gory4d Member

Anybody near Plymouth feel like sending a twelve-pack to a friend of mine in Chicago? - Doesn't look like MGM ships. Or if you know of a retailer that ships that might stock it, please send me a message.
  17. hauensteinguy

hauensteinguy Member

Update: Hauenstein is coming to the Twin Cities.

Contracts are now in place to distribute Hauenstein to the Twin Cities it's just a matter of getting enough product. Schell's has increased production of GB Premium and GB Nordeast to supply the Twins Stadium contract and therefore Hauenstein has not had enough brewed.

Can't put a date on it but as soon as Hauenstein production can be increased enough it will be distributed to the Twin Cities.

Cheers

Hauensteinguy
  18. bergbrew

bergbrew Member

That's news to me. Of course, what do I know...
    BrettHead, jjjoe, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  19. Chaz

Chaz Member

I finally got lucky and was able to pick up a 12-pack NR at "Northern Liquors" in Faribault. :)
  20. ddahlen

ddahlen Member

Price point on this brew always made me shy away (ridiculously cheap), but with all the positive feedback I've seen here it sounds like I need to grab a case.
  21. hauensteinguy

hauensteinguy Member

Why don't you enlighten us Dave???
  22. hauensteinguy

hauensteinguy Member

For those in the western part of the Twin Cities, here is another store carrying Hauenstein. They currently are running a special via coupon you get in a regional flyer for 24-cans $9.99 (regularly $18.99) through 11/30/12.

Vicksburg Liquormore info[​IMG]

1115 Vicksburg Lane North
    Plymouth, MN 55447
    (763) 476-1483
  23. Coveralls

Coveralls Member

I saw it in the Cooler at the Firk late last week.
  24. biniek13

biniek13 Member

Hell, that's right by my work!
  25. incutrav

incutrav Member

Good buy! $19 regular price seems high though for what will be viewed as an economy beer
    Chaz likes this.
  26. Chaz

Chaz Member

My math is pants at the moment but that's around .80 centavos a can, no? Considering the barrelage of the brewery and the (infinitessimal) market penetration of that brand, it's the best possible price. Do I feel like driving to the western edge of Hennepin County to buy it? Ask me again in a few months.

Now, move the contract to City/Lacrosse and bring the price down to the equivalent of an e.g. "Pabst Brand" ($14 case*) and add 5,000 POS accounts and I will be a happy camper.

(*The owners believe the brand to be a Premium rather than "Price" brand, and so this will never happen. Hell, Moon Base Gingrich had a better chance of happening. :rolleyes:)
  27. hauensteinguy

hauensteinguy Member

Regular price where it can be found all the time in SW Minnesota is $18-$20/case. For sure it used to be considered a cheap brand. Now, as a niche beer with limited distribution and brewed on contract I doubt it will ever be positioned as a value brand again.

Personally it's my favorite american adjunct lager that Schells brews.
  28. Wingman65

Wingman65 Member

Just got some at MGM in Shakopee yesterday.
  29. ben4bier

ben4bier Member

I might be willing to.trade, what can you get in gose orberliner weiss?
  30. Chaz

Chaz Member

This snap arrived on my desk with the following caption: "You folks up in the Cities will see some soon."

[​IMG]

Heck, I ain't so picky. I just wanna see these at Big V's, the T-R, Elsie's, the Hex -- and Ted's, natch. :D
    hardy008, sethU and morimech like this.
  31. mothman

mothman Member

damn those cans look nice. I got a few 12 oz with the classic label sitting in my fridge... probably going to have to crack one soon.
    Chaz likes this.
  32. jera1350

jera1350 Member

6 pack bottles for $6.99 at Ale Jail for anyone looking.
  33. Chaz

Chaz Member

For those few of you who have not been hyper-vigilant about keeping up on all things Hauenstein, the website is up and running and there are updates (with some metro area on-sale locations) at the official Facebook page. :cool:
  34. muck1979

muck1979 Member

Nice! Photographic evidence of 12-ounce cans in NE Minneapolis. I'll have to keep my eye open for a package store with the same. Or just call J.J.'s.
  35. igor

igor Member

I was at South Lyndale Liquors on Sat and saw 12 packs of cans there. I didn't check the price but they were there.
  36. ZAP

ZAP Member

Anyone know where the "cans" are at? I just had someone check at Ale Jail and all they had was bottles I guess...
  37. Chaz

Chaz Member

Midway Liquor had some the last I checked. Surdyk's and a couple of the other packies up along Central might also.
  38. sethU

sethU Member

I'm finding 12 pack bottles all over Nordeast, St. Anthony Village and Heights have it. I need me some Silo's of Howie.
  39. Chaz

Chaz Member

Also available at Morelli's in St. Paul (6 and 12-pack bottles availed chilled, near the import and Craft shelf.)
  40. hardy008

hardy008 Member

I love Hauenstein. I haven't seen the new style Tallboy cans yet. Can't wait to pick some of those up.