1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hauenstein in the Twin Cities?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by blackdog1101, May 14, 2012.

1. I noticed over the weekend that the bar at the depot in Minneapolis (stone arch bar) has haueie on tap as well a pretty good variety of other local brews.

2. hamham

hamham Aficionado (170) Minnesota Oct 26, 2011

which beers would this one compare to, flavor-wise?

3. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Champion (810) Minnesota Feb 19, 2005

Schell's Lakemaid maybe.

4. morimech

morimech Advocate (710) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

As Chaz will point out, Lakemaid is not a Schell's brand.

KarlHungus likes this.
  5. Chaz

Chaz Champion (845) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Now, if only I can convince the rest of the beer-y internet that it ain't a Schell brand. :cool:

(Do I dare even mention the cans which were especially packaged and stickered for distribution in Rapala's hometown digs in Finland, only to be destroyed, and how rare those cans are? :eek:)

6. Didn't the Lakemaid contract move from Schell's to Stevens Point recently?

7. Chaz

As with so much of what happens in the beer industry, some pertinent details get lost on the Information Superhighway and find themselves tucked into little side streets and cul-de-sacs, so it's worth noting this much:

Lakemaid did in fact begin as a partnership* between Rapala, August Schell, and an outfit based in Minneapolis called
    "Pocket Hercules" -- here's the original P.R. archived at the Rapala website. And here's an article at MinnPost with a brief description of the arrangement -- from a story they featured in 2011:
    Yes. The brewing contract was indeed accepted by Stevens Point in 2012, with production commencing in early 2013 (around last March; I'd seen a COLAs for it around then.)

*It was more than just a contract, as it had the August Schell name on the label and packaging and was initially sold through the network of August Schell wholesale distributors. Also, the recipe was developed at August Schell.

8. hamham

hamham Aficionado (170) Minnesota Oct 26, 2011

it's never made sense to me why this beer intended for fishermen would be in bottles instead of cans.

muck1979 likes this.
  9. leezy

leezy Aficionado (195) Minnesota Sep 13, 2009

Was at Central Ave Liquor NE yesterday to pick up a bomber and saw 6 and 12pk cans in the cooler fwiw

Chaz likes this.
  10. is hauenstein still brewed by schells?

11. jera1350

jera1350 Champion (750) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

Nope, Surly brews it now.

Chaz and McRyan like this.
  12. I thought I noticed the little man seems angrier looking than he used to.

I know that the label is still owned by arenson's out of sleepy eye, but they have contracted with schell's since mn brewing closed in '02, although schell's doesn't do much contract brewing anymore I don't think

13. Chaz

August Schell does indeed fulfill more brewing contracts than many beer hobbyists (collectors, Tickers, festival-goers) are aware of. Look into the history of the Fat Weasel beers (via the: "Steinhaus" beer imprint, which is positively ancient in terms of today's contracts), and that's just for starters -- there are many more former and current contracts. For us collectors of labels and cans, it can be a nightmare tracking it all down, since so much of it happened before there was an Internet -- much less a SeekABrew! :eek:

Just for reference (and apologies in advance for the pedantry and link-tastic nature of this post, but I hope this is helpful to everyone), take a look at this link.

Up until a little over a year ago, August Schell had brewed and co-packaged all of the beverages and labels owned by New Ulm Brewing & Beverage Company, which principally includes the beloved draught soda 1919 Root Beer, but also the Buddy's Sodas labels and Hauenstein Beer. The Arneson contract is the longest-running contract at August Schell that I am aware of, but perhaps some of those brands have indeed changed the location in which they are produced, and are no longer brewed and packaged at August Schell? It's doubtful that Surly would've taken them on -- although that's certainly an amusing notion ("Hauenstein: Now with 100% more oats!")

P.S. Note: there are two retired "Ulmer" (Ulmer Braun and Ulmer Lager) labels which are listed here as August Schell labels but which are not, in fact, August Schell-owned brands. Rather, those are also owned by Arneson Distributing (the owners of the N.U.B. & B. Co. brands/labels.) There was enough salient/correct information in this story at ConnectBusiness to go on the last time I checked (via a series of private email exchanges with Rae Ann Arneson, in 2010). Said information was correct up until November, 2012 -when my change request (for Hauenstein be listed as a NUBB brand and label, rather than one owned by August Schell) was finally approved, here at Beer Advocate.

grantcty likes this.
  14. the ulmer beers were pretty darn good lagers, I just recall hearing about schell's dropping more and more contracts to accommodate the grain belt acquisition and expansion. How does their percentage of contract brewing/own brands compare now vs. 2002 when they picked up grain belt?

15. JMN44

JMN44 Aficionado (165) Minnesota Sep 19, 2013

I completely agree. If Lakemaid was sold in cans and at a lower price point it had a better chance of actually catching on with fisherman. I fish a lot and have never seen anyone drinking it in a boat.

16. Chaz

Lakemaid's success is (and was) contingent on its original concept, which was driven entirely by marketing. 12 bottles in a 12-pack/N.R. translated to 12 distinct labels, complete with "collectible bottlecaps" with puzzles beneath them (trading on Bitcoin as we speak!) -- ya can't print those puzzles on the inside of cans. :(

Likewise, the Pocket Hercules folks were not prepared (initially) to undertake the minimum order for cans, but maybe that's changed? I haven't seen a label approval for a can from Point -- here's the one and only can packaged by Schell*:

[​IMG]

* As a collector, I wish I hadn't recycled all of my empties, now.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014