Have big beers wrecked your palate?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ColinStClaire, Jan 6, 2013.

1. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (680) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

I agree, went drinking with some buddies and we kept ordering Fat Tire, could barely taste any flavor.

2. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Savant (370) New York Jan 7, 2013

It definitely gives you perspective. I tend to selectively choose higher ABV beers when trying something new for fear that the lighter ones won't hold up. Nonetheless, I still love a good witbier or hefeweizen, especially during the spring and summer months.

3. I had Two Hearted at the Cafe not long ago. Wheat? Watery? Was what I thought I remembered. Was your sample old?

4. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Savant (425) Ohio Feb 14, 2012

I wouldn't say my palate has been "wrecked" necessarily, but I see what you mean. A current "issue" I'm having is after trying many, many really fresh Imperial/Double IPAs a lot of other regular IPAs and even some Imperial/Double IPAs don't taste all that hoppy anymore. I think my palate has just expanded a lot since delving into extremely hoppy beers is all. I'm sure the same could be said for any beer style really. I find that my palate is changing and expanding all the time and some beers I don't find as intriguing anymore while others have grown on me. I think this is a good "problem" to have because it means you're figuring out exactly what you do and don't like.

5. While I have found this to be true I find if i stay away from the IPA'S Stouts and other Hammers of Beer that I can go back to enjoying a milder beer now thats not to say I will do that I love my big beers there is nothing like a Big stout on a cold PA evening.

6. jjboesen

jjboesen Advocate (550) Maryland Feb 1, 2002

While DIPAs and Barleywines may have not "wrecked" my palate, I have learned to avoid drinking these styles in succession - for example, any "tap takeover" or festival. I attended a Barleywine Festival last year; after about five 6-ounce tastings, they all started to taste similar.

7. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (510) Florida Aug 10, 2012

Not at all, but that 08' Avery Mephistopheles Stout sure tried to....what a monster that one was.

8. I suppose it could have been. I've actually been hearing not great things about the latest batches of Two Hearted, but of course that might be BS. Watered down taste could be attributable to age.

9. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

I never bought into this false notion that bigger beers are better,and as such I have sought out and enjoyed for less money beers that are more versatile and less living crushing. It actually helps me enjoy bigger beers when I drink them...which I do weekly