1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Have the beer gods answered YOUR prayers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by fmccormi, Jan 22, 2013.

1. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (750) New York Oct 24, 2010

Because I'm pretty sure they may have answered mine. Just saw this little nugget slip through the interwebs, and I have to admit it's gotten me pretty excited:

[​IMG]

Full disclosure, I love Ommegang. I may be rightly accused of being kind of a 'gang fanboy. But with all these threads going around about spring and summer seasonals recently, this one has gotten me really excited. I'm always asking, directly or indirectly, for more affordable, small-format saisons and Belgian pale ales—and especially ones that actually have some hop character—particularly for the warmer months.

And then this came along. 6.8% ABV is not too big and definitely not too small, the 12oz / 355ml bottle size is awesome for my consumption trends, and I trust Ommegang to do well with the "Belgian" side of this, because I think they're consistently good if not great and I like their characteristic yeast strain(s).

So I ask you, BA, at times in the past have you felt like maybe there are some beer gods out there that listen to your prayers and have answered one or two of them? And if it's never happened, what do you hope is just over the horizon?
  2. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Savant (335) Texas Oct 17, 2012

Goose Island will be distributed nationwide. (It's beginning to show up in Texas. Draft, anyway) Hoping to see some BCBS!
    Deltoro and checktherhyme like this.
  3. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Nope, I still don't live in northern Vermont.....:(
    jjf3792, Michigan, tut2528 and 16 others like this.
  4. Nope, Alesmith still doesn't bottle date, or put their regular lineup in 6 packs.

If they did both, I would buy a TON of their IPA, Nut Brown, X, and Anvil.
  5. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

Beer Gods...nope, still haven't laid taste to a cherry rye or coffee unfortunately
    NickyDee21, lucasj82 and Deltoro like this.
  6. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

Nope, Founders has announced distribution in FL with zero news of when and Goose Island is only distributing there mass produced beers in parts of FL with no mention of ever seeing their seasonals or bourbon county line.

Nothing like teasing a brother!
    fmccormi and Deltoro like this.
  7. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4 Savant (330) Illinois Oct 22, 2010

8. No IIPA from the Bruery, no BBA RIS from Russian River... nope!
  9. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

Sure, I suppose. I like seeing a few Jester King beers on shelves now, and I definitely won't complain about Boulevard being available. Otherwise, no. Bells still isn't in CA, so Hopslam still has to be traded for.
  10. Well, I was able to snag BCBCS for $12 when it seemed like the store that carried it was all out...
    fullmetal1381 and JxExM like this.
  11. Walked into a store 2day to buy a 4 pk of Abrasive and on the shelf was Black Note just sitting there
    jgluck, Lantern, beerranger and 4 others like this.
  12. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

Pretty Things has brought back a few of their "Once Upon a Time" historical recreation beers and introduced a new old one, an IPA from the 1870s, but in the final analysis I'm an atheist so I don't credit this to any "Beer Gods" but rather to the mysterious actions of extraterrestrial astronauts who made contact with humans on the eve of the Neolithic era in what would become known as the Fertile Crescent.
  13. Harpoon Rye IPA became year round last year I think. It was a true blessing!
    beerranger and BigCheese like this.
  14. Showed up at the US Olympic T&F trials to find out that Deschutes would be doing free tastings of Abyss, Stoic, and Black Butte XXII all week.
    jglowe77 likes this.
  15. Chrome_Dome

Chrome_Dome Zealot (95) Ohio Dec 19, 2012

got an e-mail from a buddy that "State Rep. Dan Ramos, D-Lorain is about to reintroduce a bill to increase the 12% ABV cap on beer to 21% ABV" here in Ohio, which isn't quite a prayer answered yet.... but a prayer most definitely in progress..
    CircusBoy, leftyhyzer, djaeon and 8 others like this.
  16. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

The beer gods answered my prayers the first time I drank from a can of Heady Topper (sometime this summer). Everything afterwards has been details, and minor at that.
  17. Hmmm...
    So in this scenario the entity normally considered the Devil * on the BA forums is working with the Beer Gods? ;)

*aka "AB-InBev"
    MichPaul, hardy008, fmccormi and 5 others like this.
  18. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

I think you've watched 2001 a few too many times :p
  19. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

No Utopias with the proposed cap. Start a new petition.
  20. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

No, I wake up every morning hoping a bottle of rare is at my feet!!
    tut2528 likes this.
  21. They have not heard me. I first offered a beer in supplication, then a Supplication, then I eventually sacrificed my neighbor's dog. Working on yelling and cutting myself.

All this just to get Boneyard to finally start canning.
    bostonlogga and fmccormi like this.
  22. I finally had my first Three Philosophers and you are RIGHT on with 'Gang! Very excellent and a great experience!
    creepinjeeper and fmccormi like this.
  23. Well maybe just maybe I would like to see more Italian beers at affordable prices for many to try! I am really trying to start something special in spreading this joy!
    teorn88, creepinjeeper and luwak like this.
  24. yup. i was visiting VT, and in addition to scoring a case of HT and 4 growlers and a handful of bottles of HF, i was able to get my hands on six bottles of lawson's. the store we went to only allowed four per person, but on our way back, we tried our luck at a shop we passed on the way there. turns out, they had gotten a delivery of paradise pale no more than five minutes prior and let me walk out with two more bottles. i haven't opened any yet so i have no idea if my excitement is justified, but the beer hunt itself was a success.
    JxExM likes this.
  25. Yes. I will be driving up to Russian River in early February to drink endless amounts of Younger, and I will also bring home an abundance of goodies.
    JxExM and fmccormi like this.
  26. dglgmut

dglgmut Zealot (95) New Jersey Jul 12, 2012

One of my best customers brought me in a can of Heady Topper the other day, I nearly pooped myself. So I wouldn't really consider him a God, more of a saint.
    JxExM and JoeyBeerBelly like this.
  27. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I made a goal to drink as many Beers of Fame as possible in 2012 and I'm at 73 drank and 20 more waiting to be drank so sure. I didn't any Westy or FW 16th anniversary so no.
  28. I got to try Pliny and Blind Pig for the first time the other day, so one prayer has been answered.
    SatlyMalty likes this.
  29. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

Not yet, mine is a revised modern Reinheitsgebot that leads to every IPA/DIPA with a bottled on, and not a 'best before,' date. I generally do well sniffing out the stale ones (what tales dust can tell), but I STILL get had from time to time, and even with the date, sometimes I still get burned. I missed the smallest little date on the bottle when I threw some money on a small upstart brewing just yesterday (just cause, in principle, you gotta help the little guys out sometime), only to find later that it was pushing six months old. It wasn't a pour so OK for this example, but when this is STD issue for DIPA's and IPA's then the beer gods will have honored my hopes. (I'm lucky that many of my favorite, go to, session-like IPA's already adhere to the 21st century's new Reinheitsgebot, some maybe they are gearing up for a more industry-wide approach).
    fmccormi likes this.
  30. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Last week my friend called and said he found BCBCS (neither of us have had it) and asked if I wanted one, of course I said yes. When he returned from his trip I asked him how much the store had, he said the case was full and that NJ only got 4 cases. I called the next day and they said they had 7 left, when I got there, there were 6 left. The guys behind the counter thought I was crazy when I grabbed all of them. Glad I did, we split one Sunday night and it was fantastic.

Also, I just want to try me some Heady, Zombie Dust,and Pliny. Beer Gods answer, Russian River will be distributed to NJ soon!
    JxExM likes this.
  31. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

Yes. Surly is making Five an annual release, with the first bottling coming out next month.
    josephwa, yamar68 and Revenant like this.
  32. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

What store?
  33. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Firestone Walker, Goose Island, Ballast Point all expanded/ing to Texas this year. Founders most likely by the end of the year and Odell a good possibility too. There's never been a more exciting time for craft beer in Texas...loving 2013 so far.
  34. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

The beer gods have answered my prayers many times but.....I still end up paying for the beers. Where's the justice in that?:rolleyes:
  35. General store?
  36. it was 4Firkins 2 bottle limit and the Abrasive was canned on 1/17
  37. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

the general store (warren) is the one with the 4 bottle limit.

I'm curious as well...
  38. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Backwoods Bastard, a husband that travels all over and brings back beer, a dedicated beer fridge, and a cellar. All my prayers answered.
    Onizilla and JxExM like this.
  39. True... now I'm wondering which one they passed by.
    JxExM likes this.