1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Have the beer gods answered YOUR prayers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by fmccormi, Jan 22, 2013.

1. I wasn't necessarily praying for it, but one of my local readers hooked me up with a heady topper to review last week. Was definitely happy about that

2. alex021224

alex021224 Savant (305) Michigan Nov 3, 2012

Just bought some BCBS right off the shelf. Considering that I have yet to see this anywhere in SE Michigan, I felt I had to buy the last two 4 packs. I went into this store just to kill time and the owner told me that he has had BCBS (1 case) for a month. I've ask just about every store owner about this beer and they all told me that they simply don't get the stuff. I think I just found my new favorite store!

3. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Yep, I'll drink to that.

4. - I'm seeing a lot more smoked beers the past few years- many have been drinkable, and a few have even made me go "F-Yeah!".
    - the German imports have also been fresher and more easily obtained over the past few years.
    - I have a new local brewery that's seriously impressed me a few times in the past couple of months.

Yup- everything's coming up Milhouse!

5. No. Turns out that low-ABV IPAs were not the answer to my prayers of great-tasting, session IPAs --- they're too thin and the hop profiles too harsh and bitter without a strong malt backbone. Don't get me wrong --- I'm glad Day Time IPA and the rest exist --- they're just not what I'd hoped.

6. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

no, because I can't find a home on zillow for sale in bourbon county.

7. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

Nope, people still buy into the Pliny hype.

franklinn likes this.
  8. No.
    Odell Doesnt distribute to where I live.
    I still haven't tried a Westvelteren (none of the variants)
    I want to drink Andechs Dopplebock
    I want to drink Tucher Bajuvator
    I still haven't tried The Gouden Carolus Blue label either

9. I wouldn't say "the entity normally considered....on the BA forums." I think the people that look poorly upon Ab-Inbev as a whole is the minority. The Goose Island acquisition turned a lot of haters into fans.

10. No, PtY is still draft only and still have many wants that are just a PITA to get.

11. Well Black Note in bottles was a good start.

I want Fullsteam to put Working Man's Lunch on nitro (cc: peetoteeto).

If the beer gods would answer me, Bull City Burger and Brewery would start brewing Clay Street and Dr. Bartlett's Ordinary Bitter year round, and never take it off the beer engine.

fmccormi likes this.
  12. fmccormi

Oooh, I can't wait to go back to Fullsteam . . . went there for the first time around Thanksgiving, and enjoyed it thoroughly. Really unique, special thing they've got going on there—you can tell they really care about the community.

13. and their beer is only getting better. this years first frost was better than 2011 (2012 was meh, too boozy). IGOR last year was crazy good. Im excited for the Kentucky Common and Cackalacky Ginger Pale (interesting and unique-what else would you expect from Chris and Sean?)

fmccormi likes this.
  14. fmccormi

Ditto on both of those new ones. Hope they make IGOR again, I'd love to try it. Maybe we can petition them to do a bottling run of it, and I'll have my sister snag me a couple of bottles :) . . . I had Single Hop Rye - Apollo and Summer Basil when I was there, both very tasty. Summer Basil was legitimately unique, I thought, which says a lot these days.

So, there's another beer prayer of mine. Bottled IGOR and more Summer Basil. Also, it's never going to happen, but I'd love to see Stone Enjoy By in my market. (I'm guessing upstate NY is pretty low on the list for that beer, though.)

15. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

Yup. His name is GrumpyOldTroll.

16. IGOR isnt scrapped right now, from what Sean has told me, its sitting in barrels right now. They arent scrapping it yet, selling it sour is an option. Theyve also had a rough go at it lately; PawPaw had to be dumped this year (wild yeast from the fruit infected the whole batch).

Fruitcake started them in the right direction, now we need Kentucky Common and Cackalacky to save Fullsteam this year.

fmccormi likes this.
  17. I think the Beer Gods are mocking me.
    Earlier today I received some fresh Heady.
    I have some Abrasive coming in later this week.
    I have Hopslam and Zombie dust coming next week.
    So what happens during this convergence of hop utopia?
    This occasion that will allow me to pay proper homage to the beer gods?
    I start coming down with a nasty cold. If it is anything like the one my wife and kids had, it will be a bad one and last a good two weeks.
    I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors but I think that the Beer Gods have a sick sense of humour.

18. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Savant (425) Ohio Feb 14, 2012

Yep heard this today too! I signed the petition as quick as I could haha. This is really awesome for all of us Ohioians if it goes through, but it will take a long while before it's finalized.

19. My store got in one case of each of the following Cantillon: Kriek Lambic, Classic Gueze, and Fou Foune. I knew how rare it was for these beers to make their way into our store, but I hesitated at the price. They were all gone the next day. About 3 weeks later I'm walking out of the stockroom when another employee pulls a Classic Gueze from a bag and tells me the customer we had set it aside for never came in. I bought it on the spot.

20. My beer gods answered my prayers last week. I went to a local store and was just perusing. The owner came up to me and got to talking for about 10 minutes. Cool guy. He then asks if I like IPA's and mentions they just got a shipment of 120 minute and were keeping it in the back. I say no thanks. He then heads off and I ask, "what else do you guys have stashed in the backroom?". He says nothing, pauses, then says I think there is a Cherry Rye in the back, let me check. He comes back with a cherry rye and I thanked him very much and mentioned that I just missed the Coffee. He then tells me that he knows anther owner of a bottle shop and that he might have a coffee stashed away for special guest's. He calls him, confirms the stock of said coffee stout and sends me on my way. It was a good day.

21. I have tried their IPA, Yule smith and X. The all tasted out of freshness. I also had their Wee Heavy and speedway which held up fine but I have been hugely disappointed with their hoppier brews.

22. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Moe's Bender, Four, Abrasive and Bitter Brewer are not available year round, so no!

yamar68 likes this.
  23. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Savant (265) Illinois Nov 22, 2012

Late 2011 I get a call that my request for BCBS was in. I asked how much I owed them and they gave me a CASE price. ( about $130ish) After reconnecting my jaw I mutter that I'd be there directly. ( Its a 35 minute drive). I walk in and they apologize that I only can have a 4pk. Cool enough. BUT they have this new GI barleywine in 750ml bottles"and I can have as many as I want!"
    A slightly younger, less Karma considering version of myself carts out a case. I bought 4 before anybody changed their mind.
    BINGO

24. fmccormi

Ohhh, did not realize IGOR was having problems. Hope they make it again, though, still.

I was really intrigued by the sounds of their Kentucky Common and Cackalacky, too . . . speaking of which, isn't Haw River going to make something with ginger? I'm really psyched to try some of their stuff, when it comes out.

25. Otis

Otis Aficionado (100) Michigan Oct 9, 2012

Walked into a local restaurant/bar two weeks ago and sat down with my wife. They brought out the beer menu and I saw they had King Henry on it for 25 per bottle. Next thing I know I'm drinking one for mere money. Halfway through the bottle a guy (the wine and beer buyer it turns out) walks up and asks me if I'm enjoying the beer. He then offers to sell me two more for 15 bucks a piece to go. I said yes...

BleepBloopBlap likes this.
  26. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Still haven't ticked the top 100/250 whatever list so no.

Cheers!

kevanb and UCLABrewN84 like this.
  27. tut2528

tut2528 Savant (460) Illinois Sep 26, 2008

nope... Sours still damn expensive

28. for those of you wondering, it was a wine shop with a little sign that said specialty beer next to the door. we passed it on the way to warren (we started in stowe, so i think it was on 100?)

29. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

Yes. I did have to give them a push, though.

fmccormi likes this.
  30. teamwiggum

teamwiggum Advocate (525) Wisconsin Nov 30, 2008

No they're not, because Heady, Russian River, Alpine, etc are all still pipe dreams instead of tasty memories.....

scootsmal likes this.
  31. czfreeman

czfreeman Savant (455) California May 22, 2007

nope..still job hunting no matter how much I drink..what gives?

32. MrOH

MrOH Savant (465) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

TOYNBEE IDEA
    IN Kubrick's 2001
    RESURRECT DEAD
    ON PLANET JUPITER

33. basscram

basscram Savant (355) Florida Mar 29, 2006

Found a Malt Liquor that I actually enjoy. Steel Reserve. Tried it for the first time tonight. I used to be a big fan of Schlitz and Colt 45 but me likey the the steel reserve. Even better than the brown bag special beer from some brewery can't remember the name and daddy's little helper.

Ericness likes this.
  34. I really want this beer too. Thanks for letting us know its on the way.

Enjoy

fmccormi likes this.
  35. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

Boulevard beers, including the year-round brews in the Smokestack series, are available on the shelf in many places on Southern California. But we still don't get the limited releases like Saison-Brett or Rye-on-Rye. So I guess that's like half a prayer answered, which leads me to conclude that my prayers only reached a beer demigod.

36. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

That is truly awesome, lucky man

TwelveOunces likes this.
  37. The beer gods smiled on me when they places Lost Abbey and Stone so close together. Also by randomly allowing me to try FBS while I was back east a few months ago

38. Prayers were definitely answered when I saw 3Beans being released. Im a sixpoint fanboy and mast bros is my favorite chocolate. I finally visited MB last fall which is odd because I've been to Williamsburg a bunch of times. Stumptown collaborating was just icing on the cake since I've been craving a good coffee beer for the past month and MA is sort lacking in any good ones in 4/6 packs.

lovindahops and fmccormi like this.
  39. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

I'm afraid not all of my beer prayers will be answered... but the '08 and '09 BCBS that showed up with the '12 this year was pretty rad.

40. They may not have answered my prayers, but they threw me a bone yesterday.
    I heard that my local distributor had some Lagunitas Sucks. Shot over after work, and sure enough, they still
    had a case. As I was paying, I saw a case of Nugget Nectar next to to counter. I assumed that
    it was being held for somebody, but when I asked, he said it was mine if I wanted it.
    I wanted it.

jglowe77, fmccormi and scootsmal like this.