1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Have you ever had a weird IP trade?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by evilcatfish, Mar 13, 2013.

1. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (515) Missouri May 11, 2012

As the title says, has anything strange ever happened to you in an IP trade? Maybe you didn't know the person and they turned out to be a nutcase? My old roomate use to buy and sell event tickets and he was always dealing with some seedy characters.

Luckily, all my IP trades have been smooth as most craft beer folks are cool, but you never know who you'll meet on the internet...

2. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

"Event tickets" ;)

yamar68, kojevergas, smutty33 and 5 others like this.
  3. evilcatfish

And while its not exactly "weird" I was once waiting for a guy for a trade and sitting on my trunk in a Lowe's parking lot when a car flies by only about 10 feet from me with a cop chasing him. I was actually a little frazzled as they were going about 80mph in a parking lot and only feet from where I was sitting

4. evilcatfish

HAHA, not beer related I promise. Mainly concerts and sporting events

5. Haha, I don't think that was the implication.

yamar68, sandman3479, zrab11 and 2 others like this.
  6. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

ABisonEgo, libbey, MarkFy and 5 others like this.
  7. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (725) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

I'm always prepared for them to be awkward, but I'm a huge introvert so there's decent odds I'm not going to particularly enjoy having a the nearly compulsory beer with a stranger.

The weirdest IP trade I've done was probably the one outside Cantillon (not the best neighborhood) at dusk in the rain, rooting around in the trunks of our respective cars. I'm sure the rest of the characters hanging about on that street assumed something rather more illicit was going down.

Jnorton00 and Shmeal like this.
  8. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

One of my IP traders had an insanely hot girlfriend. My sincere apologies if I seemed distracted. Then again, I can't really say I'm sorry :p

9. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (645) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

Almost every trade I've done at DLD.

10. All of my IP trades have been fine. Really cool people that I've enjoyed drinking and talking about beer with. It probably seems this way because I'm the weird one.

11. clegolfski

clegolfski Savant (315) Ohio Jul 13, 2008

Great thread. When I was getting ready to move back to Cleveland I posted a bit on here trying to get the lay of the beer land. I avoided grabbing beers with folks for fear of weirdoes. Turns out all the people real close to me are cool. And that my friends was an anticlimatic story.

JxExM, MarkIntihar and Eriktheipaman like this.
  12. clegolfski

clegolfski Savant (315) Ohio Jul 13, 2008

Join the club.

13. I've done an IP and it went well. Then evey time I saw him out no matter if it was with my family or out drinking, he would come over and wouldnt take the hints to leave.

14. Yes. It's OK though, he's on the bad trader list now though.

15. Y'know what, I have. It has more to do with the implications than the trade itself...

Maybe a year ago I set up an IP trade with FritterFlip - awesome guy, btw - at a bar near where he worked. It was in a neighborhood I've never been to before. So I get there a few minutes early. I sit at the bar to wait for him, when I turn to my right to see an acquaintance of mine - my best friend's girlfriend's sister. Yeah, a bit removed, but we know each other.

"Nate! What are you doing here??"

Without thinking about it I reply, "oh, I'm here to meet a guy."

So a moment later he shows up, asks me if I'm Nate, then sits down at the bar and orders a drink. We have a beer and shoot the breeze, then go leave to make the trade. As we're passing my acquaintance, he turns to me and says, "so...where did you park?"

I thought nothing of it at the time, but she could have been forgiven if she thought it was a Grindr hookup.

16. BeRanger

BeRanger Savant (465) Michigan Dec 11, 2011

I travel for work often and I'm usually with a few co-workers who don't share the same passion for beer.

For some reason, "Meeting up with a guy from Beer Advocate for a trade" is always super creepy to them and results in a, "Oh, so you're having guys come back to your hotel room that you met on the internet? Whatever man - you dont have to lie and say it's about beer."

Luckily I've met all stand-up people, including an old BA SilentJay who drove an hour to deliver me a case of Heady Topper.

lvoutlawjlh, Hopsiam14 and Jnorton00 like this.
  17. hannydawg

hannydawg Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 4, 2010

Well, you did say she knew you, so you have to forgive her if she thought that.

JohnB87, iguenard, Rempo and 9 others like this.
  18. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (380) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

Holy shit...this is exactly what has happened to me several times...I've been outside the hotel and another co-worker, that I just met, comes down waiting for a pizza...he's like, "what you doing?" I'm like, "waiting for a dude to pick me up and bring me to some beer bars." haha...we've talked about it since, and it's a laugher now...but at the time he was like, "what the fuck?"

19. The weirder the better.

yamar68 likes this.
  20. evilcatfish

These are good points, I've gotten some weird looks from friends when I say I have to go meet a guy in a parking lot somewhere to trade beer. They are used to it now though

21. I met ArchEnemyBrew at Russian River a few years ago. He was young, he had no beard, and he was not overweight. It was weird.

Hopsiam14, Bay01, Ruddick and 11 others like this.
  22. My gf gives me crap all the time about meeting up with guys from the Internet I've never met..

ediaz, jebsinger, cosmicevan and 4 others like this.
  23. CasanovaCummins

CasanovaCummins Savant (430) Nevada Jan 10, 2012

I met with a fellow BA who is local and he pulls up to my car in the middle of the parking lot and after some chit chat we both are like, damn, this looks like a drug deal, hunh? Which wouldn't be funny except my wife comes out of a store nearby and says, Hey, do you guys realize this looks like a drug deal? We got pretty nervous when she said it. But since then, I just invite him over to our place and have given up on the whole parking lot thing.

24. evilcatfish

In that case, lets do a trade sometime and meet at Larry Flynt's Hustler Club

MarkIntihar likes this.
  25. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I met you in a parking lot!

26. I've actually met a decent number of people on here and ALL have been stand up people. Beer Advocate breeds the best of the best. There are some flakes but most of us are weirdo's.

27. I've only had great experiences so far but I have had people who don't know me well give me the, "you're meeting some strange person you met on the internet to exchange beer?!?!"

semibaked likes this.
  28. Gotta be sure to wear your sweatpants, better yet class it up and goto roxys in Brooklyn!

sandman3479 likes this.
  29. evilcatfish

Ah yes, Roxys, a classy establishment. And F the sweatpants, I'm wearing gym shorts with no underwear

sandman3479 and jaminjohnson like this.
  30. mishuggah

mishuggah Savant (265) Illinois Jul 14, 2009

All of them.

31. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (380) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

I did a trade with yeahnatenelson at DLD... Awkward!

yeahnatenelson and mishuggah like this.
  32. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

I has a sad :(

mishuggah likes this.
  33. I once did an IP with ehammond1. He gave me a bottle of Westy 12 for a happoshu I found. What a weird dude.

yamar68, crushedvol and MarkIntihar like this.
  34. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (675) Texas Oct 14, 2009

I've never done an IP trade but I'm willing to try anything once.

35. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

How many high fives did he give you? (as extras)

36. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (215) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

I've never had any issues, but apparently people freak out when you show up naked.

37. They are just worried about where you keep the bottles.

jebsinger, JxExM, Kuemmelbrau and 2 others like this.
  38. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

My first trade I ever did was IP with acurtis. I learned what NOT to do more during my second IP trade...

39. woodchopper

woodchopper Savant (355) Illinois Jul 31, 2010

I personally consider beer releases BEER DRINKING EVENTS ;)
    AND IT TAKES A LOT OF TRAINING TO START DRINKING AT 4 A.M. AND FINISH UP AROUND 10 P.M.
    HA

some of us are athletes of beer :)
    we just don't make as much :(

I have met some absolute Freaking wierdos during beer trades..... and we've become great trading partners
    just sayin ;)

It can't possibly be me ...... could it :(

OneBeertoRTA likes this.
  40. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Haha I was about to say basically the same thing. Last IP trade was in a Sears parking lot (convenient in-between for both of us) and as I handed the guy (lokieman - cool guy) a wrinkled up brown bag the only thing I could think was "this HAS to look like a drug deal going down."