1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Have you ever had a weird IP trade?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by evilcatfish, Mar 13, 2013.

1. AlexFields

AlexFields Savant (465) Tennessee Dec 13, 2009

Well I did have an awkward situation this one time where I was trying to hook up with a BA for sex and when we met up at the hotel it turned out they though we were trading beer.
  2. I had an IP trade with Acurtis mom....Oh wait yeah that really did happen.
    jl28r1 and domtronzero like this.
  3. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

ehammond1 likes to get weird for sure. Would IP trade with again/10
    Steimie, pschul4, libbey and 4 others like this.
  4. I had an in person trade where I sat down to wait for the guy at Upright Brewing. If you've never been there, there are a couple of rustic picnic tables, and there was a guy across from me who had a bundle of beer as well. We both kept checking our phones (probably secretly wondering if we were supposed to trade for each other), but the IP trader kept pushing back the time he was going to show up, so we awkwardly stared at each other for about 45 minutes until the dude arrived, threw beer at us, then went off with his friends. Good times.
    JxExM, NABS, 7clutch and 1 other person like this.
  5. The first couple times I did an IP trade my girlfirend told me she hoped I wasn't going to get raped and murdered by some nut job. The only reason this is funny is that when I shared this story with a couple of BA's in a local tasting group, they all said "My wife said the same exact thing!" Now all the wives have learned that no rape will occur, because everything is consensual. ;)
  6. Only IP trade I have ever done was for Head(y)
    Topper that is.. No lie
    Went down smooth as silk !!!
  7. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Advocate (535) Indiana Mar 31, 2010

During my last IP trade, I learned there are 2 Babies R Us's within 3 miles or so on the northside of Indy. Depending on your opinion, trading beer in a Babies R Us parking lot may qualify as weird too.
    CurtFromHershey and Hermthegerm like this.
  8. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

Not nearly as weird as trading babies outside of a beer store.
  9. MarkFy

MarkFy Savant (280) Illinois Dec 18, 2009

Love the DLD trades, especially later in the day when you might not remember exactly what is happening. We were on our way to the car at the end of DLD '11 when time froze and I remember handing off some local Chicago beers out of my backpack to some guys who gave me some of theirs. Woke up the next day with some great stuff like batch 9000, Darkness and others. Weird....
  10. juliusseizure

juliusseizure Savant (420) New York Feb 11, 2009

An IP trade is as close as I will ever get to feeling the thrill of doing a drug deal in a parking lot.
  11. Did he get hauled off at Darkness Day 2011? LOL!
  12. no, he was callled a douche then he left.
  13. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

Oh .
    So that's how it is, huh?

Meet me up for a trade, have a few drafts, share an order of nachos(!), but when I run into you now I'm just supposed to pretend like it never happened?!
    JxExM, cosmicevan and thstevens12 like this.
  14. deadbody

deadbody Savant (335) Minnesota May 10, 2010

It's not you it's me. That night while it was magical, well, lets just say I was pretty high on x, and I don't normally do that.

But I'll always think of you when I eat nachos.
  15. cocoapuph

cocoapuph Savant (380) California Mar 4, 2011

ISO: Nachos FT: Magical night
  16. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

Anyone wanna get weird?
    JxExM, FTowne, sandman3479 and 4 others like this.
  17. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (615) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

So many people you could be referring to...
  18. You keep eye balling my 5 year old like he is an afternoon snack. You know it's bad when all he says is "That Christopher Walken guy keeps staring at me!!!"
    cfh64 likes this.
  19. deadbody

deadbody Savant (335) Minnesota May 10, 2010

What the hell are you letting your 5 year old watch that he can recognize someone and how much they look like Christopher Walken?
    JxExM likes this.
  20. My friend told me of a weird IP trade with a Postal Worker that pulled beer that he was trading from his USPS truck..
    jbuddle, cosmicevan and dtmets84 like this.
  21. 7clutch

7clutch Aficionado (245) Florida Sep 14, 2012

Just did an IP trade with baybum and grabbed something to eat. Then he proceeded to crack open one of these: [​IMG]
    (couldn't upload actual image from my phone because I'm a dumbass)
    What a weirdo ;)
    franklinn and dachshunddude86 like this.
  22. it is in reference to Alewatcher's uncanny ability to do a deadpan impression of Mr. Walken.
  23. Please tell us he does the watch scene from pulp fiction
    YaKnowBrady and 7clutch like this.
  24. Demer

Demer Aficionado (215) New Jersey Dec 13, 2010

All mine have been cool but its always looks sketchy when dudes are parked trunk to trunk moving shit back and forth.
  25. This past year I did an IP trade on Thanksgiving afternoon on the NY State Thruway off of exit 21 in Selkirk, NY in a park and ride lot with SteveC32( good dude BTW). I was on my way to my gf's parent's house in VT, and she was with me. Believe it or not, she didn't find it ammusing!
  26. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (595) Illinois Apr 15, 2011

The only thing that makes my IP trades weird are my girlfriend's "Internet boyfriend" jokes.
  27. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (290) Florida May 16, 2011

I did a couple iP trades at huna day and I had 3 buddies with me when I made 1...they were flabbergasted that I was doing this. Took pictures and posted on Facebook as a joke with funny caption. But all my friends are the same"why are U trading beer and meeti g people"....my fiancé said one day "I don't want u to give out our address to people. They could track is down and kill us." I fell over laughing. Maybe if I didn't send box I was supposed to lol. She is a little irrational.
    Eriktheipaman likes this.
  28. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

One time I sent my 11 year old nephew Dylan to do an IP trade for me. I don't exactly know what happened but the kid hasn't talked to me ever since.
  29. As long as he brought you your beer it's all good...
    yamar68 likes this.
  30. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (285) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

Well, I did an IP trade when I lived in Chicago with Pschul4 that went well (great guy), but what happened afterward was weird and somewhat a result of the IP trade.

I went to the South Loop Binny's (which I had never gone to) after the trade and picked up a lot of things, probably $80 worth of beer. I filled up my backpack I had brought and had 2 bags to carry as well, but when I tried to get a cab, the people at the store told me a cab garage was right across the street. I went over, only to find every cab driver was "off the clock." Standing there, trying to figre out the best way to get a cab, I had one homeless man call me a cracker and threaten to stab me, but did it in stride as he was walking into the gas station, and another decided to take a leak on the side of a building next to me in broad daylight. Kind of weird when you don't have a good idea of where you are. I left and it took me about 20 minutes to find a cab carrying about 20-30 pounds of beer.

I never went back to the SL Binny's.
  31. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

If I were you, I'd blame Peter.
  32. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

If you're gonna lie, at least make it conceivable. Pics or it didn't happen.
    sandman3479 and daysinthewake like this.
  33. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

Hahahaha awesome
  34. Says the dude spending the night at my house next weekend. My wife keeps telling people that "some guys from the internet we've never met are getting drunk at our house and spending the night."

This is how my wife refers to every BA that texts me.
    sliverX, FTowne, ehammond1 and 2 others like this.
  35. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (615) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

I told my friends this weekend and naturally they thought you were going to chloroform and rape me. Psh as if it would be rape..
  36. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (790) New York Dec 13, 2009

i spotted yeahnatenelson on line at a release and requested a high 5. haven't washed my hand since (my wife is getting concerned...there is this weird green thing that seems to be growing in the spot where said high five occurred).

as for IP trades, i find that you need to involve opening a bottle or sharing a beer at a bar to avoid the weirdness. i've met people in parking lots and even sent my wife and other family to meet people for trades...in the end, beer trades tend to seem way more sketchy than actual drug deals since drug deals seem to be smooth and seem like they have happened before whereas trading bottles of beer is like kids swapping nintendo games...just odd.
    7clutch, JxExM and domtronzero like this.
  37. Not that they were weird but my IP trades at the Southampton release last year were awkward. Trying to find who you are trading with in the dark, during a huge bottle share and amongst 100 or so beer geeks isn't the easiest thing.
  38. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

Not exactly an IP trade, but I did do an IDB trade once with MarcatGSB.
  39. jamvt

jamvt Savant (470) Massachusetts Aug 5, 2005

never tire of this.

40. that's fantastic.
    BrownAleMale likes this.