Haven to Take Over Provisions

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by blguillen, Jan 25, 2013.

1. blguillen

blguillen Savant (300) California Apr 19, 2011

From OC Register:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/shop-409206-haven-provisions.html

Ever since the sudden closure earlier this month of Bruery Provisions in Orange, I've been hopeful that a savvy owner would take over the shop.

Tonight, fans of the craft beer, wine and cheese shop are jumping for joy as the team behind Haven Gastropub has announced plans to reopen the store next month.

"The Bruery founder Patrick Rue and his team are friends of ours – they came and strengthened our confidence in the future of craft beer in Orange County when they opened Provisions shortly after we opened Haven Gastropub," stated Wil Dee, beverage director of Haven Gastropub. "Provisions is about community and togetherness – it’s about sharing a great appreciation for beer; and we want to help carry on the vision that was started a few years ago."

Haven will call the shop Provisions. It is slated to re-open next month with the same food and craft beers selections and an expanded selection of wines and takeout foods.

"Executive Chef Greg Daniels will oversee the culinary aspect of the operation, with emphasis on great cheeses, charcuterie, fresh breads, deli sandwiches and an expanded prepared food selection," the Haven team said in a prepared statement released late Thursday night.
    Daniels adds: "There will be a few more surprises to look forward to – we hope to make the most of this great space."

pmarlowe, KevSal and MarkIntihar like this.
  2. ejyoung

ejyoung Savant (325) Arizona Feb 24, 2005

That's great to hear. Glad I'll have another place to visit when I go to Orange for Bruxie.

vurt and ScottO like this.
  3. Such great news, super happy to read this. I hope the folks from Haven will give the ex-Provisions employees a shot at their jobs back - there were some good people working there.

If I could make a couple suggestions, should they keep selling bottles:

1) Remove the tip field from the receipt when you are buying bottles from the bottle register.
    2) Bring the pricing closer to Bevmo/Total Wine prices. I wouldn't expect the same price, as the volumes moved are vastly different - but a 10-25% pricing premium is prohibitive.

OR just remove the bottles altogether and add more seating and taps. :D

DrAwkward82 likes this.
  4. As a former Provisions fan, pardon me if I don't smack my dome on the ceiling whilst jumping for joy. In my experience (3 visits), Haven = mediocre beer selection (each time didn't have the posted beer available) + average grub + crummy service.

All I can say is I guess it's better than opening another shop in Old Orange that sells knitted squirrel cozies.

jp7161, nocturne1 and huadog like this.
  5. That is great news. I have been impressed with Haven in the past and this is a great move on their part.

6. Have you been to the Pasadena location? Much better in my opinion.

7. sirtomtom

sirtomtom Savant (260) California Dec 10, 2010

From Haven's Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/HavenGastropub

8. I look forward to the overpriced beer, rude service, and general air of elitism I have come to expect from the Haven chain.

9. just came to post about Haven taking over. Regardless of your opinion on Haven... I think we can all agree that it is a positive for the area that Provisions remains near the Orange Circle. I for one, am stoked on this. I also like that the culinary options are going to expand a bit also. Obviously the connections they have with their Beer distributor will decide what brands they stock heavily.... but I think it is a good thing all around.

10. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I had fine experiences at Haven. The beer available wasn't amazing, but then again, neither was the non-Bruery stuff at Provisions (admittedly this is based on limited experience, ymmv). I don't know if I'll stop by next time I'm down there, certainly less likely to do so than if it were still Bruery-operated, but there's more reason to go than if this hadn't happened. Seems like pretty good news for Orange locals, given that the alternative for that block seems to be overpriced antique shops.

11. radium

radium Aficionado (130) California Feb 17, 2010

+1

Haven Orange is the worst. I can't imagine the bottle prices will be reasonable - I'd rather walk to Rod's Liquor for beer. Hopefully they won't serve imperial stouts in small, tiny glasses and charge me what a bottle of Black Tuesday costs. Really disappointed Provisions is now run by Haven.

I'd rather go to Smoqued where the food, service, and beer prices are way better. Their tap lists keep improving every time I go, and have seen some damn good beers on draft.

12. I'm glad that the location will serve a similar purpose, but I anticipate lots of very expen$ive beer and food pairing events. Prohibitively expensive, but we will see...

BeerNFixed likes this.
  13. jp7161

jp7161 Savant (345) California Dec 22, 2011

I second this. I live in old town and refuse to go to Haven for all the reasons above, plus the food is just okay and not worth the price in my opinion. Maybe the new provisions will be different?

BeerNFixed likes this.
  14. jp7161

jp7161 Savant (345) California Dec 22, 2011

+1

15. Come to think of it, I don't anticipate a change in their pricing habits. The food is a tad overpriced and the beer is drastically overpriced, but the place is almost always busy. If it works, it works.

16. I respectfully disagree, since Haven and The Bruery run their respective establishments very differently from each other. The Bruery cares for and responds to its customers needs, whereas Haven has a "it's Haven's way or the highway" approach to customer service. Because of these totally contradictory philosophies, I see no reason why "Provisions" will be anything like the Bruery Provisions.

EDIT: Yes, a beer shop in Orange is better than another antique shop, hair salon, or ninja dojo, just don't bite off the Bruery's brand and overall steez by calling the place "Provisions".

DrAwkward82 and BeerNFixed like this.
  17. miadw3

miadw3 Aficionado (240) California Mar 17, 2009

I'm actually a bit disappointed in the news. While it's nice to know Provisions will live on (to a much different degree I'm sure), Haven taking over doesn't excite nor entice me to visit again.

BeerNFixed likes this.
  18. I too am glad that Provisions will live on, but not that it is Haven that will reincarnate it. I will say I have the smallest sliver of hope that their pricing may not be outrageous after visiting Haven for the first time in quite a while. I went a couple months ago after not going for probably a year at least, I had been avoiding it like many of you because of their insane beer prices. But I ordered a glass of Firestone Walker XVI for $9, which isn't an especially great price but I expected it to be much more from Haven. The last time that I had been there I got a glass of Avec Les Bons Voeux which they charged me $13 for. I expected the FW XVI to be around the same from them, but was pleasantly surprised. I'm not sure if they have lowered prices somewhat as that's the only beer I've ordered from there in a long time, maybe somebody who has been more recently can comment. Anyways I guess we will all find out the pricing structure in about a month when they reopen.

19. baybassboy

baybassboy Savant (380) California Feb 23, 2011

ISO: knitted squirrel cozies

20. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (260) California Jul 7, 2012

+1 on smoqued being my go to restaurant of choice when visiting the circle. Funny story, all of the red bows they had on their Christmas tree were assembled by my fiancée one afternoon when she noticed the owner struggling at the bar. The service staff still needs some work/haven't been genuinely knowledgable in my experience, but for a place that's only been open four months they're definitely doing more right than wrong. The fact that they'll give me a complimentary taster of any beer before I actually order is icing.

And while I've only actually had one negative experience at Haven, I found after three-ish visits I could predict what each menu item would taste like. Once the "gastro-pub" novelty wears off, the food is just boring (also looking at you, chapter one). I do look forward to the bottleshop aspect reopening though, and doubt there will a markup any more severe than what the Bruery Provisions had in place.

I wonder if I can sweet talk them into giving me an RS discount ;)

21. I remember when Provisions first opened they had really good prices on bottles. They were selling Ten Fiddy four-packs for like $12. But over the course of its existence the prices all seemed to go up, which was a bummer. Who knows what Havens markup will be but their bottle prices at the pub are insane. I know bottle prices at bars are always much higher than retail, but theirs are astronomically so. Hopefully that doesn't bleed into the retail shop.

22. I thought I was just high or drunk recalling ten fidy for around $12

Glad I wasn't crazy

Yeah the prices want up

23. I doubt they kept the name Provisions without some sort of blessing from The Bruery.

24. RedBeeron

While I'm not a haven fanboy by any stretch (I stopped visiting their old town orange location when 9 of the tap handles were dedicated to their entirely lackluster, disappointing self branded beers) I never found their prices to be significantly higher than any other place carrying comparable bottle only offerings. Living within the confines of the service industry, I've adjusted to the premiums charged for bottles in a restaurant context, and have adjusted my drink choices accordingly.

When you take Bruery Provisions corkage fees into account for onsite consumption, Haven was fairly competitively priced, albeit with a more static lineup of offerings.

DrAwkward82 likes this.
  25. With them offering pints, did people actually pay for the corkage fee to drink something they just bought at provisions? Their tap list offered a fairly decent variety.

26. vurt

vurt Advocate (555) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

I didn't have a problem with their bottle prices, which I expected to be significantly higher than retail (they always are at a restaurant, which makes them easy to pass over). I _DID_ have a problem with paying $9 for a goblet (8 oz.? 6?) of acrid coffee stout which was imported all the way from Pasadena.

27. Agreed. I guess beer makes for strange bedfellows.

Oh, wait.

afrokaze likes this.
  28. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Savant (480) California Nov 16, 2009

This makes me very happy. As others have said, I hope they keep the Provisions staff. They have always been friendly and helpful. Haven...not so much. The food was always just "okay"...and the service was never very good. This being said, I have been to Provisions countless times and only Haven three times.

29. When Haven first opened they had great prices, as did Bruery Provisions. For reasons that I can't explain (as someone who lived in Old Towne Orange for three years), the overhead is outrageous. I get markup. Will D. explained to me on several occasions the markup for Haven beers was 50%. Much Higher than Bruery Provisions (granted running a restaurant is more costly than a bottle shop), but with the expanded food menu, distribution chain, and Haven business model, I am not hopeful for better selection and prices than Hollingsheads, or restaurants in the Santa Ana art district.
    Just as Bruery Provisions took over the Frogs Breath model (with modifications) and license, so too, is Haven taking over Bruery Provisions licensen and model (with modifications). There is no 'blessing' needed.

30. RedBeeron

Kinda like paying $7 for a 4 oz "pour" of smoking wood imported all the way from the fermentor you're looking at while you drink it?

31. vurt

vurt Advocate (555) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

Fair point, but I don't remember Smoking Wood being that expensive for a pour at the tasting room. Was it last year's vintage?

Also, Smoking Wood is 1) twice the strength of Brewmasters Breakfast, 2) seasonal (limited), 3) barrel-aged, and 4) delicious. Decent mitigating factors in my book, though I'm not sure I'd pay $7 for 4 ounces.

Carbon14 likes this.
  32. RedBeeron

Don't get me wrong, I'm all aboard the "haven's beers suck" bandwagon. But lately at the tasting room, smoking wood, melange 3, and every other BA offering has been $7 for a 4 oz pour. All recent vintages. I only really noticed when I saw that what seemed like a disproportionate number of beers at the tasting room were priced $7. Admittedly, this is anecdotal, so I'll have to swing by tonight to confirm. For, you know, science and shit.

radium and vurt like this.
  33. Yes, Haven is pricey, the food doesn't live up to the expectations set by the price and they don't always have the best service but them taking over Provisions is better than not having Provisions. I would have rather had it stay in the Bruery family but whatever Haven does to it is still better than it not existing so for that I say thank you to Haven!

34. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Savant (250) Nevada Aug 16, 2010

Everytime melange 3 has been on at the tasting room old and new it's has been at around that price and that pour size give or take an oz here and there. Same goes for BA Coton when it was on tap at the old tasting room. I could be wrong but I'm 99.9% sure of this!