1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Haymarket Brewery

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Mjmoser, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Just tapped Indignant. Unreal good. And growler fills!

2. What barrel treatment?

3. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (380) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

Templeton Rye for 7 months.

4. Mjmoser

And yes it is awesome. Even following 3 hours of Black Note!

5. immobilisme

I have enjoyed all batches of Indignant more than Black Note anyway. Never understood the hype.

6. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

Once they switched Indignant to Templeton Rye Wiskey it got much better. Not sure what bourbon they used before but it's insanely good now. Hopefully still on tap next week when I show up

chanokokoro likes this.
  7. immobilisme

I believe the first batch was Woodford Reserve barrels.

8. pschul4

That batch wasn't nearly as smooth as it is now IMO. I love what Haymarket is doing right now! Thanks for the info too :D

9. Yes, Woodford Reserve.

10. Mjmoser

No problem. Didn't want anyone to miss out!

pschul4 likes this.
  11. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

black note was pretty decent, i expected a little more actually. but i'm glad i got to try it. double dip. thanks for the heads up. i guess i missed you mjmoser, i was in and out after bridge bar at haymarket. picked up a growler from the back and left.

12. Mjmoser

Nice! I only had two, grabbed a growler and hit the road. Pete Crowley does some tasty beers!

chanokokoro likes this.
  13. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Me too. Htting on all cylinders...

No doubt. Black Note was an average brew. Perfect example of rarity causing hype when there was was nothing extraordinary. I would never turn Black Note down, but on a seconds notice I could name at least 20 better brews, probably more. Frankly, you ruin Expedition by blending it with Double Cream. A barrel isn't going to make up for that...

Same here. BA Indignant is clearly a much better brew.

Agreed. Pete does nice work with BA brews, but also with such a large variety of styles...

14. Thanks for posting this! Stopped by Three Aces for a couple glasses of BCBS, then to Haymarket for this delicious brew. Picked up 2 growlers it was so damn good.

15. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I don't understand how Templeton Rye barrels would be good for any beer. That whiskey sucks, and it is a prime example of the hype train in the whiskey world. My .02 cents.

16. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

Way too much confusion (and outright deception) when I tried to find out exactly what was in the bottles of this rye. Not going to buy it.

17. pschul4

I've never had the whiskey but the difference it made after trying indignant with the woodford reserve barrels (never had woodford reserve either) is undeniable.

18. MarcatGSB

From the research that I've done, it comes from the same Distillery in Indiana as Seagrams...lets leave it at that.
    They are "allowed" to call it Iowa Whiskey because it is in fact bottled in Iowa...bunch of smoke and mirrors there.

19. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (475) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

I personally think it should be two different beers. I had Indignent in November the night of FoBAB and it was amazing...and I also took a $41 growler of it home!! But if they aged a new batch in rye whiskey barrels...it should have a different name as it was aged in different barrels

That's my two pennies

20. I just hope it's still on tap Monday so I can get a glass after work.

21. I just want a growler :(

22. Its a nice Rye but horrendously overpriced and confusing about which bottles are actually Iowan and which are not.
    Youre better off buying two bottles of Rittenhouse Rye for the same cost in my opinion.

gpawned and MarcatGSB like this.
  23. MarcatGSB

I'm a Russels Reserve single barrel guy personally.

ObeMaltKinobee likes this.
  24. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (475) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

Turn that frown upside down buddy...I will bring you an empty Haymarket growler :D

25. Monsone

Monsone Savant (350) Illinois Jun 5, 2006

I believe Templeton has two different distillates in their different whiskeys. They get one batch of distillate from Indiana but they have a different batch that they distill in-house. Regardless of who distills a certain spirit, most places specify a recipe. So even if Seagrams is distills their stuff in the same place, it doesn't necessarily mean it is less of a quality product.

And the barrels that Pete supposedly used is a Iowa whiskey barrel, so that implies that it would be from one of the Templeton small batch brands.

mishuggah likes this.
  26. Already got one from a BIF...jerk!

raymo55 likes this.
  27. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (980) Ontario (Canada) Dec 25, 2006 Staff Member

Umm...they are two different beers.

Woodford - http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24445/71802
    Templeton - http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24445/79827

pschul4 likes this.
  28. Mjmoser

29. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (980) Ontario (Canada) Dec 25, 2006 Staff Member

It also says Templeton Rye on their current menu. Haymarket has always been quite clear about what barrels the various batches of Indignant have been aged in.

I was responding to the somewhat silly request by raymo55 that they be considered two 'different' beers. They are already, and always have been, considered two different beers on both BeerAdvocate and RateBeer. I guess he may have been complaining that the first batch wasn't called Woodford Reserve Indignant, but it was the *only* Indignant at the time so there wasn't much risk of confusion. However, to be fair to Haymarket, it WAS called Indignant BOURBON Imperial Stout and the menu description is exactly what is cited in the notes on the beer listing, which specifically reference Woodford Reserve. I'm not sure what else Haymarket or BA could reasonably be expected to do here...

30. MarcatGSB

http://www.dailyiowan.com/2012/02/27/Metro/27203.html
    That is just a more recent article, but I'm pretty sure it's all distilled in Indiana.

31. Meh.. that's moreso because the Templeton barrels saw longer aging time.

I believe the Woodford saw only 4 months in oak..

I'd take the Woodford any day, personally.. if aged the same time as the Templeton counterpart..

pschul4 likes this.
  32. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

Does anyone know if this is still available at Haymarket?

33. Monsone

Monsone Savant (350) Illinois Jun 5, 2006

Like I said. The Templeton Rye is distillate from Indiana. The distillate from Iowa goes into the small batch stuff.
    As stated on Templeton's website
    http://www.templetonrye.com/history/business/

I may have mispoke though regarding the barrel at Haymarket. The Templeton Rye BARRELS are still Iowa barrels. The whiskey is put into barrels and aged in Iowa. Your article states that as well.

34. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Do people think this will be around until thursday?

35. immobilisme

I will walk over later this afternoon and report back. The last couple of times they had Indignant, it did last like two weeks or so.

36. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Ya I remember it always taking awhile to kick. Would be much appreciated, I wanna grab one for a trading partner.

37. I was there on Saturday and the bartender said he expected it would last until next weekend. So you might be ok on Thursday.

38. Durb777

Durb777 Savant (415) Illinois Nov 30, 2011

How much is a growler?

39. It was right around $40

40. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

^^ correct. 36 bucks with refill, or 41 with a growler.