1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Haymarket Hoppy Birthday Party This Saturday

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by JakeT469, Jan 7, 2013.

1. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (330) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

Don't remember seeing a thread about this but are any of you kats planning on going to this? I know myself and 2-3 others will be in attendance. Can't wait to see what brews they have in store.

2. marcgo2

marcgo2 Aficionado (235) Illinois Nov 16, 2010

Uh oh, you dared mention it, prepare for backlash.

3. JakeT469

Yea fuck that. It's on the main page of their website and while I don't have a FB I would imagine its all over their FB page as well. Just cuz it hasn't been mentioned on the all mighty BA board doesn't mean it's a secret. Def not lashing out at you Marcgo, just any potential ppl that are gonna throw a shit fit.

davey likes this.
  4. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (430) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

BA great lakes forum is no longer a place to post about bottle releases and/or parties because people get upset that the secret got out and reminding people of the party that only the 'cool' kids are invited too or the bottle only the 'cool' kids get to drink. I for one didn't know about this, and now will be going and probably with my wife and taking up valuable space that should have went to those in the know. Thanks for the post.

(Hell I might even bring some of my BMC loving hipster friends (really PS loving (Pabst-Schlitz)) and try to turn them onto good stuff)

5. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

Clicked on this thread expecting some Alpine related goodness.

pschul4 and burica2020 like this.
  6. davey

davey Savant (275) Illinois Aug 18, 2006

I'll be heading down there for my first visit.

7. me too! now just dissapointed...

8. cadaugherty

cadaugherty Savant (465) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

Just a few details for those who are unaware. Event starts at noon. 12 beers with a new one being tapped every half hour. Many of the beers will run out quickly as quantities are very limited. Expect some old favorites and new twists.

9. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Not that I care all that much, but I think you're interpreting these people's behavior wrong. A lot of people that get pissed about stuff being posted on here seem to get pissed because one of their usual spots gets overrun by people that never visit it at all outside of it getting posted here. Call it entitlement if you want, but it's slightly aggravating knowing that people are only there for a special event or release when they don't ever go there otherwise.

10. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (430) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

I hear ya,..... people lurk and do that shit and there's nothing you can do about it. Go to the event, have a good time and laugh at the dudes looking for high abv, barrel aged and sour who never tasted a decent gose. I just get bummed that people get nervous about posting stuff or starting threads because of backlash when I could use the help as I'm not on Facebook all day or at thirty pubs a week.

11. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Back on topic, who else will be there at 11:30 for a seat at the bar? Haven't done some serious day drinking in some time....

12. Flabbyjandro

Flabbyjandro Savant (495) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

Any chance the have some fobab beers on tap or will this be a hop bomb typa party given the name?

13. Mjmoser

Heard a rumor about Clare's Thirsty Ale....

You going?

14. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (400) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

If it's anything like last year, so. much. barrel. Also, hops. 12 special tappings will no doubt include a fair amount of both!

Mjmoser likes this.
  15. immobilisme

I would be disappointed if Clare's didn't make an appearance, I would also be surprised.

16. Mjmoser

Any insight into growlers during the day on the special beers?

17. Flabbyjandro

Yeah, wife loved Claire's so this makes day drinking that much easier of a sell with the wife

18. immobilisme

I truly doubt it, but I have been wrong before.

For the special beers, they are usually riffs on their regular line-up, so probably only a 1/6 barrel of each. Last year it was a couple BA Imperial Stout variations (coffee and raspberry) and some BA Barleywine variations (lemon zest and another that escapes me at the moment). Then Uber Mathias, Angrier Birds, Angrier Fruitier Birds, and a messy blend of everything.... I was messy too.

19. mishuggah

mishuggah Savant (265) Illinois Jul 14, 2009

I'm hoping for 12 different Belgian IPAs.

immobilisme likes this.
  20. cadaugherty

As usual Todd has hit the nail on the head. There will be no growler fills.

21. JakeT469

I love me some day drinking for sure. My group and I will be there early as well. Not sure exactly what time but before noon. I'm hoping we're able to hang long enough to watch both of the NFL playoff games. Could get a little rough by the start of the SF/GB game as we'll already have put in a solid 6-7 hours of drinking by then. Very much looking forward to this event tho. Also hoping for some Janna Montana.

22. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

I wont be going sadly but i highly recommend Amrimonious if they have it on tap. So, so damn good

23. i may well poke my nose in early. day drinking is fun

24. Drucifer

Drucifer Savant (495) Illinois Apr 16, 2012

Been going there quite often since they opened so I will definitely be there. I'd be willing to bet Clare's, templeton aged indignant, BA Nina's Quad, Acrimonious, and Uber Mathias will all make appearances as well as some new goodies.

25. nucmedmario

nucmedmario Savant (330) Illinois Sep 1, 2010

FTFY.

26. DaBears83

DaBears83 Aspirant (45) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

I wonder if they'll have any of those delicious safeway frozen pizzas

MasterSki and jebsinger like this.
  27. Mjmoser

Does anyone know if the special beers will be poured from the front or back bar? Or both? Trying to determine logistics and timing.

Pete's Tweets yesterday sounded very promising!

28. JakeT469

Two posts from Pete's twitter yesterday:

Saturday so far: 19 month barrel aged barley wine, 7 month barrel quad, 13 month Clare's thirsty, 7 month woodford indignant

Saturday-cranberry saison, new cascade #IPA , ├╝ber #mathias, girl & goatee III. @StephAndTheGoat @HaymarketPub two year party!

Well that's 8 out of the 12. Excited for Clare, Uber, Barley Wine and Indignant the most. Can't wait to hear what other goodies they have in store.

thetomG likes this.
  29. JakeT469

Clare's Thirsty getting tapped at 2. That's the only tap time they've released yet. More to follow...

30. moefriedman

moefriedman Savant (260) Illinois Feb 15, 2012

Janna Montana please oh please!!

robbiemoy13 likes this.
  31. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

Noon: First Chance American IPA-dryhopped with Centennial 6%
    12:30: Cranberry Saison-80 gallons of Cranberry juice 5.3%
    1:00: Uber Mathias-Double dry-hopped Imperial IPA-citra-10%
    1:30: Clare's Thirsty Ale-Raspberry Imperial Bourbon Stout aged 13 months in Templeton Rye Whiskey Barrels-12%
    2:00: Nina's Belgian Quadruple aged for 7 months in Templeton Rye Whiskey Barrels-11.5%
    2:30: Indignant Imperial Bourbon Stout aged in Woodford Reserve barrels for 6 months 12.5%
    3:00: Barley wine aged 19 months in Woodford Reserve Bourbon Barrels on lemon zest- 12%
    3:30: Girl & Goatee III-Imperial Red brewed with apple cider and cocoa nibs collab with Stephanie Izard-8%
    4:00: Acrimonious Imperial Stout aged for 7 months in Angel's envy port casks 12%
    4:30: Barley Wine aged 19 months in Woodford Reserve Bourbon Barrels on cocoa nibs and cocoa powder-12%
    5:00: Raspberry Wit-Belgian wheat ale on raspberries-4.5%
    5:30: Barrel aged special anniversary blend ??%

<drops mic, walks off stage>

dsal89, crushedvol, davey and 5 others like this.
  32. JakeT469

Holy liver damage!! This is gonna be amazing

33. DROOO

DROOO Aficionado (205) Illinois May 5, 2009

i would include grabbing my crotch, and spitting into the crowd before walking off stage, but that's just me.

34. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

Uber Mathias, Clares w raspberries, 19 mo bbbw? I'm there.

35. Drucifer

Drucifer Savant (495) Illinois Apr 16, 2012

I hope I can get a growler of the anniversary blend, because there is no way I will be able to taste it at 5:30.

36. JakeT469

^^^So True^^^ I'm willing to bet I won't be able to taste much around the 3:30 mark of the day but we'll see

37. Mjmoser

Taste? Shit, I am hoping I can still be a functioning human being by the time my wife joins me at 3:30!

Drucifer likes this.
  38. Flabbyjandro

Set your inhibitions for Saturday real low and you can't lose

39. Growlers?

Are you guys familiar with how special events work at Haymarket?

I'm pretty sure this is gonna be a lot more like those.. and a lot less like the 1st year Anni - though non-BA stuff may still allow 8/12 oz pours.

40. cadaugherty

As I mentioned above the special beers will not be available in growlers (maybe first chance and cranberry saison).