1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hazelnuts in beer..oils causing BA

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by APreacher, Dec 17, 2012.

1. APreacher

APreacher Savant (260) California Jun 6, 2012

Whoa, iPad typo fail.

I have an amber in primary that I mashed with 9 oz. hazelnuts.

Anyone added tstd hazelnuts to secondary? If so, how much and how was it added.

I am thinking of either adding cold steeped liquid (3-5 day steep) or just crushing and racking onto.

My main fear is oils causing lack of head retention. However I will be kegging , so not sure if oils matter.

Any thoughts/insight are appreciated.
  2. Haven't added nuts to secondary, but I made a beer with pecans in thr mash that had good head retention. I drained oils off in a series of brown paper bags while toasting them a bit at a time, 2-3 times. This beer was kegged. I think that it doesn't if you keg or not, though. As I understand it, oils causing head retention problems basically make it harder for co2 bubbles coming out of solution to affix to the surface of the beer and thus foam up. I could be way off, but i read that somewhere and it seemed to make sense. Im not sure if it matters how you got your co2 into the beer, be it via a tank or priming sugar.
  3. boddhitree

boddhitree Advocate (610) Germany Apr 13, 2008

You might want to make an extract of hazelnuts, as I did. Put the hazelnuts in vodka for a few days to a week, then add in 2ndary, which is how vanilla extract it made.
  4. My questions are:

1 Why are you mashing nuts? : ) Is there a lot of sugar in hazelnuts? "I mashed with 9 oz. hazelnuts"
    2 What does BA mean in your banner? "...oils causing BA" http://www.acronymfinder.com/Slang/BA.html : )

does it have something to do with this? "Whoa, iPad typo fail." : )
  5. APreacher

Thanks for the tips! I have thought of extracting with booze but I considered doing something similar to what others have done by cold steeping coffee. However, I would guess booze is safer than h20.

1) My hazelnuts are free and I thought it would be worth a shot to get flavor/sugars from them. Are there "alot"..not really. 1 oz. raw=1 g. sugar...hopefully more sugars are present after roasting.
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/sugar-hazelnuts-3847.html

2) BA means nothing in banner..yes it was an error, all of a sudden it posted while I was coming up with a clever title.
    Editing thread title not found. ;-|
  6. If you soak them in some form of liquor (I'd suggest vodka), you can freeze the strained liquid and scoop off the junk that solidifies at the top. I don't know much about the chemical makeup of nuts, but I'd wager this process mostly removes the oils and fats you're worried about. I like this method a lot because you can add a little at a time in the bottling bucket and really dial in the flavor you want. Just be careful about how much vodka you add--it can change the abv quickly.
  7. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (425) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I've used hazlenut extract before and it's POTENT stuff. I don't know if you'd want to try to make your own. There should be some good info on fat washing your nuts. Seriously. :)
  8. boddhitree

boddhitree Advocate (610) Germany Apr 13, 2008

I've made hazelnut extract, 50% ground nuts, 50% vodka. And yes, it's quite potent stuff and tossed it into a brown ale. I didn't toss the whole thing, just about 50 g by weight (nuts and vodka) into the beer. It was a subtle flavor.
  9. APreacher

Thanks for all the tips. The extract has been started & will marinate for 4 days followed by filtering through cheesecloth.
  10. APreacher

8oz. roasted/crushed hazlenuts + 4-5 oz vodka, however after absorption on day 4. I needed to add a few more oz. of vodka.
    Pitched 2-3 oz into keg on day 14. no straining necessary as everything fell to bottom.

I need to find recipe, but OG was 1.07 and FG 1.01..no problems with head retention whatsoever.