1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Hazelnuts in beer..oils causing BA

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by APreacher, Dec 17, 2012.

1. APreacher

APreacher Savant (295) California Jun 6, 2012

Whoa, iPad typo fail.

I have an amber in primary that I mashed with 9 oz. hazelnuts.

Anyone added tstd hazelnuts to secondary? If so, how much and how was it added.

I am thinking of either adding cold steeped liquid (3-5 day steep) or just crushing and racking onto.

My main fear is oils causing lack of head retention. However I will be kegging , so not sure if oils matter.

Any thoughts/insight are appreciated.

2. Haven't added nuts to secondary, but I made a beer with pecans in thr mash that had good head retention. I drained oils off in a series of brown paper bags while toasting them a bit at a time, 2-3 times. This beer was kegged. I think that it doesn't if you keg or not, though. As I understand it, oils causing head retention problems basically make it harder for co2 bubbles coming out of solution to affix to the surface of the beer and thus foam up. I could be way off, but i read that somewhere and it seemed to make sense. Im not sure if it matters how you got your co2 into the beer, be it via a tank or priming sugar.

3. boddhitree

boddhitree Advocate (630) Germany Apr 13, 2008

You might want to make an extract of hazelnuts, as I did. Put the hazelnuts in vodka for a few days to a week, then add in 2ndary, which is how vanilla extract it made.

4. My questions are:

1 Why are you mashing nuts? : ) Is there a lot of sugar in hazelnuts? "I mashed with 9 oz. hazelnuts"
    2 What does BA mean in your banner? "...oils causing BA" http://www.acronymfinder.com/Slang/BA.html : )

does it have something to do with this? "Whoa, iPad typo fail." : )

5. APreacher

Thanks for the tips! I have thought of extracting with booze but I considered doing something similar to what others have done by cold steeping coffee. However, I would guess booze is safer than h20.

1) My hazelnuts are free and I thought it would be worth a shot to get flavor/sugars from them. Are there "alot"..not really. 1 oz. raw=1 g. sugar...hopefully more sugars are present after roasting.
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/sugar-hazelnuts-3847.html

2) BA means nothing in banner..yes it was an error, all of a sudden it posted while I was coming up with a clever title.
    Editing thread title not found. ;-|

6. If you soak them in some form of liquor (I'd suggest vodka), you can freeze the strained liquid and scoop off the junk that solidifies at the top. I don't know much about the chemical makeup of nuts, but I'd wager this process mostly removes the oils and fats you're worried about. I like this method a lot because you can add a little at a time in the bottling bucket and really dial in the flavor you want. Just be careful about how much vodka you add--it can change the abv quickly.

7. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (470) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I've used hazlenut extract before and it's POTENT stuff. I don't know if you'd want to try to make your own. There should be some good info on fat washing your nuts. Seriously. :)

8. boddhitree

boddhitree Advocate (630) Germany Apr 13, 2008

I've made hazelnut extract, 50% ground nuts, 50% vodka. And yes, it's quite potent stuff and tossed it into a brown ale. I didn't toss the whole thing, just about 50 g by weight (nuts and vodka) into the beer. It was a subtle flavor.

9. APreacher

Thanks for all the tips. The extract has been started & will marinate for 4 days followed by filtering through cheesecloth.

10. APreacher

8oz. roasted/crushed hazlenuts + 4-5 oz vodka, however after absorption on day 4. I needed to add a few more oz. of vodka.
    Pitched 2-3 oz into keg on day 14. no straining necessary as everything fell to bottom.

I need to find recipe, but OG was 1.07 and FG 1.01..no problems with head retention whatsoever.