1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Head Hunter Bottling Date?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by proseberry, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Hey. Does Fat Head's Head Hunter show their bottling date. Either on the bottle ir on the carton? Thanks.
  2. nlmartin

nlmartin Advocate (530) Ohio Jul 26, 2005

I just pulled a 4 pack of Head Hunter from my fridge purchased last week. No dates on either carton or the remaining bottle. Its a major dick move for a brewer not to give a bottled on date for any product.
    KWMiles likes this.
  3. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Savant (305) Ohio Jul 15, 2012

Agreed. No date that I can find. Given the price of this beer, a bottle date would be appreciated and expected.
  4. Not that I know of. There is a stamp on the bottom of the bottle, but if it contains bottling date info I couldn't tell you how to read it.

In my opinion, this beer holds together very well if kept in the fridge. Even after 3-4 weeks of purchase, to me it's still very sharp and tasty with a great tropical fruit nose.
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  5. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (770) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

No, unfortunately they don't. It's probably not because they don't want to, maybe they can't afford it at the moment? Not sure. But I'd like to think it's in their future, we'll see..
  6. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

In addition to that, around me (and granted, I may be in the minority here) the bottles move fast enough that there's really not much need for bottle dating yet, IMO.
  7. Thank you everybody!
  8. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (770) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Around here in Cleveland, it's just about to that point where you can find it everywhere and there's no telling how long it's been on shelves, unless you ask or stay updated when your stops get shipments.
  9. MarkIntihar

Maybe they should start sending more to Warren then ;)
    Shagtastic and sirsteve42 like this.
  10. nlmartin

nlmartin Advocate (530) Ohio Jul 26, 2005

Speed of bottle movement is great until you grab an old 4 pack. Columbus brewing seemed to depend on speed of turn-over for Columbus DIPA. My very first experience with them was wretched. The beer was a muted and frankly a bland mess. Lucky for me the people at Columbus Brewing are good people and replaced the sixer. Amazing what a bad review will do?
  11. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (385) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

It's bad enough there's no date, but then on the label they have the audacity to tell you to drink it fresh and not to let it age.
  12. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Aficionado (235) Ohio Oct 20, 2007

Columbus bottle-dates now too.
    nlmartin likes this.
  13. WesM63

WesM63 Advocate (640) Ohio Nov 6, 2011

They haven't been distributing outside of Cleveland for that long. Bottle dates will come in time.

Take a few deep breaths people.
    MarkIntihar and jrnyc like this.
  14. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Aficionado (245) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

I'd like to see a bottled date but fortunately I have never had a bad Head Hunter
    Stinger80OH and BB1313 like this.
  15. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (460) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

no date. and i always wonder people ask why their is no date on the bottle. if i was a brewer and i knew of a way that would help to ensure a sale i would. for example if your in a store an you go to buy some head hunter but then you see its 2 months old theirs a chance you might put it back. i would appreciate the date but i understand why they don't put it on.
  16. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

I don't buy Head Hunter anywhere but the brewpub, and I have conveyed the worries to one of the brewers. I think they are aware of the problem and also know some product sits around in some stores. With all that said, there is a date on the cases but I know many stores don't leave them sitting out.
    fiver29 likes this.
  17. teamwiggum

teamwiggum Advocate (525) Wisconsin Nov 30, 2008

Gonna throw this out there but in no way am I saying my thought is a guarantee lock....I looked at the bottom of an empty bottle and the first four numbers were 2282, a possible way to read this is the first two represents 2012 and the 282 stands for the 282nd day of 2012. It's a code dating format we use at work (I work in the food packaging industry).
    Just a possibility....
  18. Though there are a few breweries date coding their beer near the base, in general those codes are from the bottle manufacturer and are the date when the bottle was made. Compare a few different brands that come in the same bottles and you'll find that same dating system. Many US breweries use Owens-Illinois bottles, which can be ID'ed by the O-I logo embossed around the base, along with a two digit year, along with some dots and other digits.

Those dates can be helpful with cellared beers or antique collectable bottles, but aren't much help with determining how many weeks since bottling a fresh IPA might be.;)
  19. As always, let me know if and when they date :)
  20. I don't seem to have their info. What is the format? I'll add it to my Fresh Beer Only list.
    Extravadanza likes this.
  21. RyanMcFly1985

They use Julian Code. The first two digits are the year and then the last 3 are the day that it was bottled. For example, if they bottled a beer on December 31st, 2012, the code would be 12365, meaning it was bottled on the 365th day of the year 2012. Cheers!
  22. Thank you, i will add them!
  23. When did they start this and where is it, couldn't find this on the couple bottles I have but maybe I'm just not looking in the right spot.
  24. I've had old HH before....its tastes like it was dry hopped with moth balls. It's usually fresh found around Cleveland though. Some bottle shops buy a shit ton of it and let it sit. When fresh, it's fantastic.
    nlmartin likes this.
  25. shuggy

shuggy Savant (300) Pennsylvania Dec 22, 2006

I haven't bought a case in about a month but of the many that I have purchased there has never been a date on the case either.
  26. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

They just started dating them.
  27. RyanMcFly1985

I am not sure exactly when they started it. Maybe in the middle of 2012? Tony Corder could probably chime in. The code is on the label, written somewhat small (I am at work and do not have access to a bottle to give you an exact location of the code).
  28. They do intend to. I emailed them back in June of 2012, and to my delight, I got a (very quick) response from their head brewer. It is planned. He didn't elaborate on why they currently aren't, but it would be my guess that you correct... the necessary equipment just isn't currently within the budget.

Others in this thread need to keep in mind that I think they've been using Troeg's old brewhouse for less than a year now... that likely was a major investment.

This is generally true in Western PA, as well. I normally just don't buy beer that isn't dated, but Fathead's beer is sufficiently excellent, and it moves quickly enough around here that it's generally a pretty safe bet. So I bend the rules for these guys.

Likewise, 3 Floyd's doesn't bottle date... but they're good enough, that when my buddy goes home to Indiana he picks up some bottles anyway. He's been burnt a few times, recently, though, with some Arctic Panzer that wouldn't have been purchased if a Freshness Date had been available.

EDIT: If this is referring to Fathead's, please disregard all of the above :)

Great news.
    BB1313 and MarkIntihar like this.
  29. I have a case of Head Hunter sitting in my basement. I coud have sworn there was no date on the case. I just turned, flipped it around many times and then my vision finally worked. In gray font it lists a bottled on date. The overall markings on the case (logo, 'advertisements' of winning awards, etc.) are very vibrant on the case. The bottling date is subtle in comparison (but it is there!)

Cheers!
    MarkIntihar, Lipsntoes and miketd like this.
  30. tcorder219

tcorder219 Aficionado (130) Ohio Mar 11, 2008

Ryan is correct on the Columbus Brewing Julian code. The 5 digit code should be stamped in black on the left side of the label. The "mother case" also gets stamped with mo/day/yr. We've been coding bottles on and off for the past 9 months or so. Had some insane issues with the machine...so it wasn't really consistent until a few months ago.
    Crossing our fingers the coder cooperates for a while.

Tony- Columbus Brewing
  31. MarkIntihar

Picked up some fresh Head Hunter last night. So gud.
    psuKinger, miketd and Bad_Trader like this.