1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Head to headed Citra, Heady, Bad Boy tonight

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by evilc, Feb 9, 2013.

1. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Heady Topper was seriously lacking. Alpine released Bad Boy on draft tonight after 4 months and was filling growlers. Got 2 growlers and headed home to my fridge which had 1 week old HT and 1 week old Citra.

Citra is the standout due to its more tropical heading ( mango, pineapple ) while Bad Boy has a massive malt backbone and piney notes.... so a bit of a preference there depending on the consumer. Heady while an excellent beer on its own merits just cannot hold a candle to the other two mentioned. Heady is in the same vein as Bad Boy and is killed by it. Citra like I said - a different note - but I prefer it above all.

This is the third time HT has failed to impress when in the presence of other world class IPA's - the last time was versus HF Ephraim, prior to that Bad Boy during August 2012. Thoughts from those who have done ALL THREE? No fanboys please!

GrumpyOldTroll, pmarlowe and ChanChan like this.
  2. evilc

Oh, and before any rabid HT fans try and gang rape me : I LOVE HT!!! It's #1 position here on BA just opens it up to more scrutiny.

3. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

Bad Boy > Citra > ... > Heady Topper...in distance from my home.

4. evilc

Hmm... agree with the HT placement easily. Had a rough call between Citra and BB! More research needed!

ehammond1 likes this.
  5. I'll second this. Try La Cumbre Full Nelson and your pack leader might change though.

6. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

Never had Bad Boy so can't comment. Citra was mediocre, Heady has always been outstanding. And both have been made available to me only via trade. YMMV.

Edit: Citra was actually so mediocre that I didn't bother again; whereas I still have to have a Heady that will disappoint me.

7. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

You and I don't always agree but I am with you 100%. Love all those beers, and would put a couple others into the equation as well, but Citra shines even brighter when tried next to other world class IIPA. Bad
    Boy has the perfect mouthfeel, and is just bitter enough, nearly perfect hop bill, def. 2nd. Heady is in the same league as Citra, but is a touch less delicious, for me that is the difference, Citra is so explosively flavorful yet refreshingly drinkable.

8. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (290) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

Who brews Citra? I've been on a fun exploration to find the best/my favorite IPA and would love to get a hold of this.

I've managed to have Zombie Dust, Hopslam, Elevated, Flower Power, and Heady Topper all in the last 10 days. It's fun to split hairs, but when I sit back and think about all that quality I've drank, I know life is alright.

cavedave, Bitterbill and ThatCracker like this.
  9. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

Never had Bad Boy, but KR Citra crushes Heady. I like Heady, but fail to see why it's so highly regarded... I have 2-3 local DIPAs I would rather drink.

ChanChan likes this.
  10. I'm drinking them all right now and have to say HF Double Galaxy is the best. The Citra is really nice, but not as nice as the Doub Galaxy. Citra is from last sat and the d gal is from Tuesday. Both very fresh. The Headies are all about individual batch, there can be a big swing. Some are very hoppy, others drink like a fruity pale ale.

bpfrush likes this.
  11. Tomorrow I'm doing Hopslam - Palate Wrecker - Abrasive - Simtra.

Next week it's going to be Citra - Abrasive - Hopslam - Sucks.

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  12. The most recent batch of Citra stands only slightly taller than Bad Boy, then leaps and bounds ahead of HT. It's not even a comparison in my book.
    Will have to get ahold of some BB and try a side by side.
    Like ehammond, it goes in the order of distance from my house.

13. ImJ2x

ImJ2x Initiate (0) California Jan 3, 2012

I've yet to try Heady, but Citra is my #3 IPA, just barely behind #2 Bad Boy.
    The difference, to my palate, is that Citra is the best single-note (citrusy, duh) IPA ever; whereas Bad Boy is a bit more complex.
    And, for a very different "single-note" beer, go with my #4- Nelson. Then, for a different "complex" beer, try my #5- Enjoy By.
    And then, get the best attributes of those 4 beers in a single bottle of Ruination 10th, my personal #1 fav. (Which, supposedly, will never be brewed again. That's unfortunate.)
    Anyway, just appreciate how lucky you are to have those 3 beers in your fridge. Damn you, Evilc.

14. Siggy125

Siggy125 Advocate (505) California Nov 10, 2006

I thought Aroma Coma was fantatstic and wonder why it's not in the conversation. Due to timing of release?

15. it's not in the conversation because the topic at hand was citra vs Heady vs Bad Boy in a three wheel motion comparison. :)

16. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Had to reply that I think that complexity is not always the result of a buncha differrent hops. I mean, a buncha different hops for sure are complex, but a single hop used in all the different time locations and techniques of a beer can yield a lot of flavors.

ImJ2x likes this.
  17. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Kern River.

dachshunddude86 and JxExM like this.
  18. ImJ2x

Furthermore, I agree that Aroma Coma is a well-crafted ale, but certainly NOT in the conversation with these serious "big" beers. Coma pales in comparison- it's (intentionally) lighter and less "in-your-face." But I love in-your-face monster beers...

Siggy125 likes this.
  19. Bitterbill

I've also never had Bad Boy but the Kern River Citra that I got handed to me in person, 2 bottles filled from a Growler, got a well deserved 4.93 from me. Thanks again, Tom!(tkunkel)

20. grandmeaulnes

grandmeaulnes Savant (275) Ohio Oct 18, 2010

I'll take this order too.

21. When was this? They haven't done growler fills of Citra for at least 4 releases.

22. ImJ2x

To support your point, while Citra is undeniably a citrus bomb, trying to pinpoint a particular citrus doesn't work. For instance, when I drink regular Ruination, I taste white grapefruit, period. (And I love it.)
    Citra, on the other hand, gives me more of a pink grapefruit, cara cara orange flavor, but even slightly sweeter (honey tangerine?). In that regard, Citra does have it's own (limited) claim on complexity.

cavedave likes this.
  23. Bitterbill

July 2010.

glitchedmind likes this.
  24. yeah, that sounds about right then.

25. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

The one time I had Bad Boy I wasn't impressed at all. Way worse than Citra or Heady. I'd put Citra above Heady too, just because citrus > pine.

26. ImJ2x

Bad Boy isn't "way worse" than ANYTHING. Ever.

27. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I thought it was. I'd rather drink a whole heap of IPAs before it, including almost anything else Alpine makes.

drgarage, match1112 and eyeenjoybeer like this.
  28. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (575) California Dec 12, 2009

I've only had Citra and Heady side-by-side and I was amazed at how good Citra was, its significantly hoppier than Heady Topper. The last sip of a pint of heady VS the last sip of a pint of Citra is where you'll know for sure that Citra is the better beer!! For those who think Citra is mediocre try it side-by-side with Heady and report back!! That being said, I would walk 500 miles for a Heady any day!!
    Cheers!!

29. Schmaltzy

Schmaltzy Savant (275) California Oct 13, 2009

Bad boy has a new contender in my book, Societe The Roustabout. Haven't had citra yet but ht is nowhere near any alpine or Societe ipas IMHO.

30. There's something to be said for a beer that is released twice a week vs a beer released twice a year.

31. So here they are side by side...
    [​IMG]
    The Citra is great, but not close to a really hoppy batch of Headies. Unless you've had a bunch of FRESH Headies and Citra you can't accurately say what's what. I've had one batch of citras(last sat batch) and they are nice, but not nearly as hoppy as some batches of heady.

32. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

I've had them, and have heady way ahead of bad boy. Don't get me wrong, I loved the bad boy. It just wasn't even close to heady IMO.

33. Amber, Double Galaxy, HF Citra, and Ephriam all outshine KR Citra and Bad Boy in my eyes. To me Heady's herbal profile make its incomparable to the others that have been discussed. It's not intended to be a hop bomb. It even says so in the can.

34. cfrances33

cfrances33 Champion (760) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

I just popped my first Citra... and I gotta say it's near perfect. I personally think Society and Solitude #5 is my own favorite DIPA, but Citra might be the perfect execution of the style.

35. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

I don't know about Roustabout, but I had The Pupil from Societe and it was outstanding. Would love to try more of their IPAs.

36. iadler

iadler Savant (415) Illinois Aug 12, 2009

Have had all three. All are really damn good. I would happily consume them every day of the week if I could. That is all.

37. Heady > Bad Boy > Citra.

I loved all three (the lowest score (for Citra) was a 4.4) but this is my preferred order.