1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Headed to Kansas City Wednesday Arpril 3rd - Sunday April 7th.

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Mumbler, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Mumbler

Mumbler Disciple (60) California Feb 17, 2013

I need to know where I need to go to get some good BBQ but, most importantly what beer bars, brew pubs, and breweries are a must. Also, if there are any bottle shares during that time frame, I will be bringing some Alpine IPA's out there to make some friends. Maybe a couple Russion River Sours as well.

2. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

I can help with BBQ suggestions (in order):
    1. Oklahoma Joe's
    2. Gate's
    3. Arthur Bryant's
    All 3 are fantastic and you can't really go wrong at any of them. Get the burnt ends or brisket at any of them.

3. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

Also, for BBQ consider Zartas (though not close to downtown) or BB's (They have live music and a very cool atmosphere). There is also Jack Stack but it lacks the soul of the other places. Also, if you go to OK Joes do not go to the new one in OP, its very stale and looks like it used to be an Applebees

4. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

Check out spots like The Foundry, Charlie Hoopers, Beer Kitchen, and Bier Station

5. I second BB's Lawnside Barbecue. The Flying Saucer is a pretty great place to go for beer.

6. udubdawg

udubdawg Advocate (505) Kansas Dec 11, 2006

I would imagine a bunch of the beer geeks will be with me, judging the NHC first round that weekend, at least Friday evening and all day Saturday...wouldn't be a terrible place to meet a bunch of great homebrewers, and maybe do some stewarding and taste some awesome beers...

cheers--
    --Michael

Mumbler likes this.
  7. Mumbler

[
    Sounds like a good time. I will be in contact with you.

8. Rob-P

Rob-P Aficionado (125) Iowa Feb 29, 2012

Did you say alpine and RR sours? I wish I could drive down from Des Moines that week!

I havent lived in KC for 7 years, so my bbq info could be old. I'll defer to others on beer ideas.

Overrated (with all due respect to other posters here!):
    ---- OK Joes
    ---- Arthur Bryant's
    ---- zartas

Under the radar:
    ---- LCs BBQ near the royals/arrowhead stadium. Probably recommended for lunch only. Endearingly crappy place with amazing food!
    ---- smokin Guns in North KC...best burnt ends I've ever had. Call first as they used to run out some days at lunch.
    ---- wabash BBQ in excelsior springs (can't imagine you'd want to drive that far though)

I always have a soft spot in my heart for Gates and would choose it over Arthur Bryant's any day. Some people feel the exact opposite though.

Jack Stack is nicer and worth going for the beans, which are amazing. Jack Stack near union station (freight house district) is a pretty cool place...better than the plaza or OP locations. There is/was a local chain called smokehouse that isn't very good except their beans rival jack stacks, which is the highest bean praise I can give.

Only went to BBs once but thought it was fun.

Thanks to other posters for beer recommendations! Hopefully I can check some of those places out next time I visit.

9. Mumbler

Can you fill growlers from other breweries in Kansas or Missouri?

10. They have REALLY stupid, complicated growler laws here, which has prevented virtually every brewpub from filling them.

It all depends where you're staying at, but...

You gotta hit OK Joes, LCs and Gates for BBQ.

Flying Saucer, Bier Station, Beer Kitchen and the Foundry are my favorite beer spots.

And, man, I don't know how much RR stuff you plan on bringing but I'd gladly meet up for a swap somewhere.

11. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (255) Nebraska May 25, 2005

ok joes is essential

12. Mumbler

IM STAYING IM LANSING, WOULD LOVE TO MEET UP. SUPPLICATION AND PLINY FORSURE.

13. jcarleton82

jcarleton82 Zealot (75) Kansas Aug 31, 2012

There is a few Places in KC that you can get growler fills. At McCoys brewpub right next to the Foundry in Westport,MO (KCMO) If they still have it on by the time you make it here. I would highly recommend Ursa Major Imperial Stout. It is also very reasonably priced!! Also, 75th St Brewery also (KCMO) Waldo area. As far as bars go. I prefer Riot Room, Foundry, McCoys, Bier Station. Flying Saucer is cool if they have special events. But, it is nothing special.

BBQ. OK Joes is a must, Gates, and Jack stack are also very delicious. Enjoy your time in KC man. If you wanna grab a beer or tow while you are in town give me holler. I have a pretty deep cellar too.

Cheers

Mumbler likes this.
  14. I would agree with OK joes, my favorite is Jack Stack- its a little pricey but Ive never been disappointed. Not sure what Zartas is but there is a Zardas way south of down town thats good.
    Beer Bars- Just like what everyone else has said- McCoys, Foundry,Beer Kitchen all in westport. Waldo Pizza always has a good tap list.
    Good beer stores- Lukas (1 off state line, 1 in Overland Park)