1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Headed to Park City, Utah -- what beers to look for?

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by UT-Alex, Jan 21, 2013.

1. UT-Alex

UT-Alex Initiate (0) Texas Sep 15, 2012

I'm headed to Park City for a week and I'm not familiar with the area at all. I'll have a vehicle so I was wondering what places were good to check out in either Park City or Salt Lake City for some good ol' craft beer.

I'm from Texas so there should be plenty not readily available in my state that I can pick up and bring back.

Also what are some good beers native to the area?

2. BlackElixir

BlackElixir Zealot (80) Wisconsin Jan 22, 2013

Make sure you make it out to the Squatter's brew pub in Park City. They should have their saison-brett, Fifth Element, & their oud bruin, 529 in stock. If you like russian imperial stouts, check out their Outer Darkness. Hop Rising is also a great double IPA that they brew.
    If you make it down to Salt Lake, stop by Epic Brewing. It's a fairly small operation, but they make quite a variety of some good brews. Check out their Big Bad Baptist if their is any in the cold case when you go.
    Uinta Brewing is also worth checking out. They brew some good stuff. Their crooked line of beers is exceptional, and they just released a new one called Sea Legs (Barrel-aged Baltic Porter).
    Hope that helps!

UT-Alex likes this.
  3. UT-Alex

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into all of that, I fly out tomorrow.

4. maxcoinage

maxcoinage Savant (485) Illinois Apr 6, 2012

I am also heading there in two weeks to hit the slopes-- I won't personally have a car, so I'm curious as to the availability of these brews / other local crafts at the resorts, specifically staying at Solitude ( couldn't gather any info from their site - http://www.skisolitude.com )

5. BlackElixir

BlackElixir Zealot (80) Wisconsin Jan 22, 2013

I am not 100% positive, but I think that there might be a branch of the Utah State Liquor Store actually within the Solitude resort where you should be able to purchase atleast some of these beers. I am not too familiar with Solitude, but I am assuming that there will be atleast one bar with some local beers at the resort. If not, the Silverfork Lodge, which is located a few minutes below Solitude as you drive up Big Cottonwood Canyon, should have some locals. Also, Molly Green's, which is located at Brighton, Solitude's neighboring resort, should have some locals as well. I would be willing to bet that there is some sort of resort shuttle that could take you to either of these places.

maxcoinage likes this.
  6. maxcoinage

maxcoinage Savant (485) Illinois Apr 6, 2012

Sounds good, thanks for the info. much appreciated. Cheers!

7. mikey451

mikey451 Aficionado (215) Utah Mar 11, 2003

Solitude's Bars & Restaurants should have many local beers, I'm not sure what their out of state selection is.

8. UT-Alex

I had no idea Squatter's had a brewpub IN Park City so that was awesome to find. They have some awesome food as well. Somehow they were out of Hop's Rising, I ended up getting it at another bar. I've had Outer Darkness before I left to Utah, but I did not expect to see it for $16.99 at the restaurant, ouch.

I also had Squatters IPA, Wasatch Ghost Rider White IPA, Wasatch Winterfest, Firestone Walker DBA, Wasatch The Devastator, Red Rock Elephino, Epic 825 Stout and Wasatch Polygamy Porter. I could get a few of those here in Texas, but not the majority, so I tended to stick to exclusively Utah beers on my trip.

My only frustration was not finding any Epic beers to go. I didn't spend much time in Salt Lake City but I stopped by The Beer Store on my way out and I was expecting it to be home to a lot of craft beers but it was Utah Brewing Cooperative (Wasatch/Squatters) beer and it was a fairly small collection. I did pick up Wasatch Switch Port Barrel Aged for a whopping $19.99, and I didn't see it on this site so I hope the cost is justified by the price

That city was amazing and I can't wait to go visit again, hopefully next time I can find a store that sells a lot of craft beer.

9. Justin_Neff

Justin_Neff Savant (255) Ohio Jun 21, 2012

I will be flying out there in a couple of weeks. Any other recommendations on additional bottle shops to pick up some local stuff around Park City? I am definitely excited to check out squatters.