1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Heading to Germany

Discussion in 'Germany' started by spartan1979, Mar 10, 2013.

1. spartan1979

spartan1979 Member

My wife and I went to Germany with a group of friends in 2010 and we have been wanting go back to Bamberg since. We found this tour, bambergbeerme.com, and decided it decided like fun. We were planning to arrive a couple of days early and, since I've brewed several alt several times, go to Dusseldorf for a couple of days and then to Miltenberg for a day to visit the Faust brewer since I've tried making the Schwarzviertler recently.

The trouble is that it turns out that there's a big trade show in Dusseldorf the days we wanted to be there. Supposedly this fair brought in 242,000 people in 2007! Hotels are hard to come by and ridiculously expensive, like $400+ per night.

So it looks like we're going to scrub Dusseldorf. I could see spending a night in Cologne but not two, but since we've been there before, we could live without it. I've been to Munich twice, so I don't particularly want to go there either.

So I'm looking for suggestions on where to spend a day or two, preferably along the rail lines. We're planning on flying into Frankfurt.

Thanks.
  2. spartan1979

spartan1979 Member

As I think about it, since Dusseldorf is out, it may make more sense to fly in and out of Nürnberg.
  3. einhorn

einhorn Member

It's not a beer destination, but Berlin is quite the place to be right now.

Or, fly into Brussels...
  4. mjtierney2

mjtierney2 Member

Can you really fly into Nürnberg? I like the idea of Berlin above, and here are two other thoughts:

1) You could spend the night in Cologne (or another neighboring city?) and still have an easy day trip to Düsseldorf, unless you are afraid that the whole town will be overrun, which it sounds like it might be. In that case I understand scrubbing it altogether.
    2) I had a friend come visit me here in Heidelberg. He flew into Frankfurt, we spent a few nights here, then we went to Bamberg, Dresden, and Berlin and he flew out of Berlin. It was a fun itinerary, although again, not really beer based (outside of Bamberg). You could do it in reverse, fly into Berlin and spend a few nights, train to Dresden (~2:00 from Berlin) and overnight there, then train to Bamberg (~4:00) and fly out of Munich(/Nürnberg???). Berlin and Dresden are not beer destinations in the way that Bamberg is, but they are still very much worth seeing in my opinion.

Good luck with the planning.
  5. FrankenBier

FrankenBier Member

If you substituted Leipzig for Dresden you could up the "beer quotient" of the trip. And on your way from Leipzig to Bamberg you could hop off at Jena and take a taxi to Wöllnitz (Talschränke) for their wonderful sour Wöllnitzer Weissbier. The two hours between ICEs gives you just enough time for a couple quick beers.

I often fly in and out of NUE when going to Bamberg (DL/KLM thru Amsterdam mostly). A quick U-bahn to the Hbf and then hop a train to Bamberg. If your flight out isn't too early (10am or later), you can stay in Bamberg and make your flight.

If you have to connect in FRA to get to NUE you are better off ending in FRA -- unless it saves you money (which happens).

When are you going?
  6. spartan1979

spartan1979 Member

Right now, the plan is to fly out of St. Louis on 10/19 and return on the 30th. Unfortunately, I have to be at work on 11/1 otherwise I'd add Dusseldorf to the end of the trip.

I think we may fly into FRA and leave out of NUE. The cost is about the same and since the hotel in Bamberg is part of the cost of the tour, we might as well spend the last night there.

I am concerned that Dusseldorf will be overrun, so we'll avoid it entirely. Maybe next time.
  7. FrankenBier

FrankenBier Member

Well, I'll be in Bamberg Oct 17-21 so we'll probably just miss each other. Say "hi" to Stu.
  8. Stahlsturm

Stahlsturm Member

It would and from there it's only a very short trip to Forchheim (There's even a comuter train to Forchheim), to Neumarkt, to Amberg. Going to Nürnberg will put you in an ideal place for beer :)
  9. spartan1979

spartan1979 Member

The bike tour includes a day trip to Forcheim. I decided I could add one day on the end of the trip to get to Dusseldorf. We'll spend our last night there and that will also put us closer to the Airport.

We're going to spend two nights in Miltenberg before the tour. My wife and both wanted to spend some time exploring one of the small towns we just saw out the window of the train the last time we were there. Miltenberg seems as good a choice as any.

If the Beer and Bike tour doesn't get enough participants, we're going anyway and we'll just figure something else out.