1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Heading to Minneapolis/St Paul

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by hurleymanvw, Apr 1, 2014.

1. hurleymanvw

hurleymanvw Savant (345) Georgia Jan 9, 2007

I will be heading to the twin cities later this month and want some inside tracks on the local beer scene. Now I know about surly and Town Hall but I want to know if there are any places I need to eat that have great beer or bars I need to hit that have great beer. Also are there any new and upcoming breweries I need to check out. Any one in the area do Sours? Just let me know what to be on the look out for. Thanks for any input in advanced.

2. Both Indeed and Dangerous man are pouring some delicious beers right now. Plus they are only like a mile apart so you have to go both.

3. Harriet Brewing has some excellent sours. For beer and food, I'd recommend Butcher and the Boar, Muddy Waters, or Bulldog (see more). Happy Gnome is always a St. Paul staple.

leezy, KarlHungus and ToadiesForCody like this.
  4. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

I definitely agree with ToadiesForCody, Dangerous Man always seems to have something different on tap and it's always well done. You can check their website to view their current list to make sure it fits your palate. Steel Toe is also one of my local favorites and you can check their website for a current tap list. If you are a fan of Old Ales/barleywines, I'd check out Barley John's to get a taste of Rosie's - this stuff is outstanding, but personally am not big on their other brews.

Aside from Misanthrope by Surly, I've only heard good things about Harriet's sours.

Edit: Where are you staying?

5. hurleymanvw

hurleymanvw Savant (345) Georgia Jan 9, 2007

Not staying this is an afternoon excursion and possibly on the way back. Heading down to Iowa after I land and have the afternoon in Minn/st paul.

6. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Champion (810) Minnesota Feb 19, 2005

If you're in the mood for smoked meats and great beer you should check out Northbound Brewpub. If you're in the mood for a great, unique burger check out the Blue Door Pub.

7. if you are sour focused there are a few options in the area, both of the noble stars from schells are excellent berliners and still floating around. Wolf brewing also does a Berliner Weiss that is good not great, but pretty reasonably priced from what I recall. Harriet typically has two of their three barrel aged sours on tap in the taproom which opens daily at four. elevated is in the same general area and is a pretty good beer store from what I hear. bent brewstillary is a merger of a good sour brewery, but I don't know how the merger is going to effect their sour program and they still haven't announced a reopening date for their taproom, they brewed a very good gose and a barrel aged Berliner Weiss that is downright amazing. I hope this helps.

8. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Savant (470) Minnesota Jul 23, 2013

In that case make sure you try and lock up some Toppling Goliath when you are in Iowa.

And all of the above comments are a great start. If you want to get a good 'combo platter':

Northeast minneapolis has Dangerous Man and Indeed. Both are amazing. Also, Surdyk's liquor is in the area, and north loop wine and spirits is close too, both great little shops for good beer selections.

ToadiesForCody likes this.