1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Heading to Ridgecrest in Feb.

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by Tibi81, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Tibi81

Tibi81 Aficionado (150) Dec 12, 2012

I will be flying into LAX and staying with a friend in Ridgecrest for a week in February. Would anyone have suggestions on good brewpubs in the area or places to find good beer?

I would like to find some Russian River and The Bruery products while I am out there to bring back to Pittsburgh.

Thanks!

2. ScottO

ScottO Savant (280) California Mar 4, 2012

You will only be about 1 hour from Kern River Brewing Company. Don't know much about Ridgecrest itself.

3. EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge Advocate (530) California Mar 26, 2011

You're heading to Ridgecrest? Sorry to hear that. ;)

4. Who is going to be the first wise ass to say "Indian Wells Brewing"? Oh, I guess that was me.

PeterJ likes this.
  5. Tibi81

Yeah I hear there isn't much around Ridgecrest! That's why I am looking for good beer to drink and good beer to take home that I can't get out here.

What is up with Indian Wells Brewing?

6. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/619

They make very average to below average beers that you see in Whole Foods, among other places. In the absence of anything else, you might as well go to their brewpub.

Somebody mentioned Kern River, but you might run into weather issues that time of year - it's up in the mountains. There is precious little in the BA database on Ridgecrest liquor stores. Maybe you'll find a gem, but it is unlikely. Ridgecrest is primarily a military town, even though it is the "Gateway to Death Valley".

You probably need to focus on what is near LA for picking up beer.

7. Tibi81

Well thanks for the heads up on Indian Wells and the lack of good beer near Ridgecrest!

8. ScottO

ScottO Savant (280) California Mar 4, 2012

I'd definitely recommend the drive to KRBC. Weather shouldn't be an issue. Won't be balmy, but Kern River is only about 2,500 ft. elevation, so won't have lots of snow (if any). Drive from Ridgecrest to Kern isn't too bad either.

9. EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge Advocate (530) California Mar 26, 2011

10. The pass from ridgecrest to kernville (and kern river brewing) is only 5000 ft, and being on the dry side of the Sierra, it is very rarely affected by weather. There are also a few places in ridgecrest with a surprising selection; just be aware that beer may sit warm on the shelves for a while; so be careful buying certain styles of beer.

You are also within striking distance of mammoth brewing, kinetic, hangar 24, and a few others I sure I am missing.

11. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

If you look at KRBC's website you will find a list of stores that they distribute their beers to in Ridgecrest and else where. I think they have 3 stores in Ridgecrest listed. I've been to all 3 and they do carry other micro brews from SoCal. And they will have Kern Rivers beers there also. But if you want certain beers to take with you then I would stop at beverage warehouse or whole foods near LAX before driving to Ridgecrest. I would def make an effort to drive the hour to KRBC, weather permitting. In Feb. it's prob a good chance the road will be okay to drive. Haven't seen Citra released in a while. Maybe in Feb?

12. Tibi81

Awesome! Thanks for all the recommendations. I will plan on stopping at beverage warehouse. Will also for sure talk my friend into stopping by Kern River Brewing.

13. sloelco

sloelco Savant (260) California Dec 25, 2012

I end up in Ridgecrest quite often for work. The two shops I have been to are called 1-Stop and the other is Lucky Liquor and Deli. I found these places because they were listed on Kern River's website.

At 1-Stop you will find a good selection of Stone, Fullers, Coopers, Alaskan, Mission, Rogue, Sierra Nevada, Allagash, and a few others. They have had Kern River Just Outstanding IPA and Isabella Blonde every time I am in there but only those two. I was there yesterday and picked up a Stone Imp. Russian Stout and a 2011 Alaskan Smoked Porter and a Barlewine as well as a couple of the Kern River 2012 Winter Ale. The girl that rang me up asked if I had tried Citra which they have gotten in the past.

At Lucky Liquor you will find the same as above plus some more. They have a bigger selection but there are a lot of old bottles so you have to be careful. I have seen stuff from The Bruery, Bear Republic, Anchor, Port Brewing, Ballast Point, Dogfish Head, Flying Dog, Lagunitas, Mission, Deschutes, Abita, Sam Adams Limited Series,Lips of Faith. There is also selection of good Belgian's and some european beers. They did also have some of the stone collaboration beers like Perfect Crime, More Brown than Black. They have a better selection of Kern River here including Isabella, Class V, Pumpkin, Winter, and Just Outstanding. Picked up a Ballast Point Victory at Sea Coffee Vanilla.

There is also Tehachapi Liquor with a similar selection.

albertq17 likes this.
  14. Tibi81

That is good news! Thank you very much! Would be pretty excited to pick up som Lips of Faith, The Bruery, and Allagash!

15. You can go to a multitude of places depending on which way you take to get to Ridgecrest from LAX. If you go down the 10 then up through the desert I would meet you at Hangar24 for a beer.

16. Tibi81

So I will be heading to Ridgecrest next weekend and the one beer I am in complete search of is Pliny the Elder or any Russian River sour. I looked at the Beverage Warehouse website and did not see Russian River on their beer list. Does anyone know if this list is up-to-date and if so, any other place I could find Pliny in the LA area?

Thanks!

17. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

It's a hit or miss with the Elder. After landing at LAX you could drive to Bev Warehouse to see if they have Elder in the back (or ask for it). Whole Foods in El Segundo will occasionally have it. I think their deliveries are on Friday's. So they may still have some bottles left. Next to LAX is El Segundo Brewing Co and they will be releasing their Two 5 Left DIPA once again. They do have growler fills. I think Beachwood BBQ Long Beach is to far out of the way for a stop before driving out to Ridgecrest. There are a few liquor stores in Ridgecrest that have a decent beer selection. You could call Kern River Brewing Co to see if they still have Citra on tap. If not it's still worth the 45 minute drive to the brewpub to hang out. They may still have Dirty Hippie and Class X and Winter Ale on tap. And you could always bring back a growler or two.