1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Heading to Russian River for the tapping of Pliney the Younger

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by 1beergeek, Dec 21, 2012.

1. 1beergeek

1beergeek Zealot (90) New Mexico Oct 26, 2012

Has anyone ever been to a tapping of the Russian River Pliney the Younger. I've heard great things about this beer and cannot wait to taste it. The tapping is scheduled for Feb. 1st. through the 14th. Will be doing a mini tour of Northern California brewery's Plan on visiting as well as Russian River, Bear Republic, 21st Amendment and Drake's. Can't wait!
  2. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I would suggest not going on the very first day, it's really crowded and can take quite a while to get in. From what I've heard the middle of the week is better. Also Superb Owl Sunday is supposedly pretty dead, that'd be a good time to go if you don't care about the game (or even if you do since they'll have it on).

Also, don't forget Lagunitas. Definitely worth a stop.
    MontereyBay831 likes this.
  3. 1beergeek

Thanks, we definately will consider that advice. Lagunitas is another brewery on our consideration list.
  4. hey you should try to hit up Triple Rock brewery in burkeley much reccomended
    it is on the way from drakes and has good food
    i like the IPAX ipa and the stout is real good but great college atmosphere and good beer for sure
    i also do love drakes
  5. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

Depending on where you live, there are plenty of Bay Area beer bars that get the Younger if you want to avoid the crowds at Russian River. And like stu above said, I'd definitely avoid day 1...maybe even days 1-3. Last year, I went the second week it was out on a Wed, and sat right down.
  6. forget that my pic right there is drinking pliny the younger in los angeles area avoided the crowds lol
  7. premierpro

premierpro Savant (290) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

I was there 5 weeks ago and enjoyed most of there beer. In my opinion Pliny the Elder was not their best beer. Second Amendment has some nice beer also. Have fun!
  8. Lagunitas should be on your definately list.
    RobertV916 and pinkgrenade like this.
  9. GRG1313

GRG1313 Champion (770) California Jan 15, 2009

Russian River is great fun and all of the beers are good IMO. I get the tasters which are very inexpensive to go with a sandwich. Big portions of food that is very good, as well.

Lagunitas is a must do. I've only been there a few times but each time there were lots of beers on tap that don't get bottled. For me, that's most of the fun of going to a brewery - getting stuff you can't otherwise try.

Bear Republic - same as above. Good food in a great location and many beers to try that aren't bottled.

The three above are all among the best breweries anywhere. You'll have fun.
  10. mrelizabeth

mrelizabeth Initiate (0) California Jan 22, 2012

Moonlight Brewing Company, if you can find any on tap. Amazing beers from a very small brewery.
  11. Go to Flavor just down the street from RR. They always have a full tap list of Moonlight.
    RobertV916 and flexabull like this.
  12. Dagsy

Dagsy Aficionado (210) California Dec 21, 2012

I've been the past two years, and has been mentioned already try and avoid the opening weekend. If that's your only option, plan on getting there around 7am. You definitely won't be the only ones out there either at that time. The people in line are generally pretty cool too, so you probably won't be too bored waiting in line.

Also, Lagunitas is only about a 20-25 minute drive from RRBC, and well worth the trip.
  13. mrelizabeth

Good tip. We rarely get Moonlight in San Diego.
  14. True that. Their Shotgun Stout and Pistol Porter are tops!
  15. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

So if one were to go to Russian River midweek, midday, it would probably be pretty easy to get PTY? It's on every day for two weeks right? Does it ever run out during the day? Also planning a trip.
  16. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Definitely go mid-week. You can walk right in most of the time (during the day at least). If you go on a weekend, just plan on staying there all day. Once you get in, you won't want to leave.
  17. 1beergeek

Thanks to everyone that posted reply's to me. I love this beer community and appreciate everyone's suggestions. Can't wait to get to Northern California!
    jrnyc likes this.
  18. And once you get in it's not that crazy at all. I had a Younger in hand about 1 minute after I got in the door. Line during the week went pretty quickly - I waited maybe 20 minutes on a Wednesday.
  19. SageO

SageO Savant (360) California Jul 13, 2010

Just FYI, there's a Motel 6 within like 2 minutes walking distance to Lagunitas. Earlier this year I did a trip that involved going to RR, then Bear Republic, then swinging back down to Lagunitas and drinking entirely too much, then stumbling over to the hotel. Perfect setup.
    Hatzilla likes this.
  20. Was utterly confused at this for a second, then figured it was the attack of Stu's-phone's-auto-correct!
  21. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Nope. It's just one damn fine owl.
    MrFootstones and CurtFromHershey like this.
  22. May be there for the stupendous hooting bird day... will depend on my cohorts' desire to be my favorite people ever.
  23. Make sure that you don't ask for "PLINEY".
    MADhombrewer likes this.
  24. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

People usually don't spell it out when ordering.
    modern likes this.
  25. APreacher

APreacher Savant (260) California Jun 6, 2012

Hype train goes up (mostly down) coast so no need to fly into town and b-line up to RR.

PTY is damn good, but flashing camera tourist status is not needed.

Travel to SF>OC>SD>LA plenty to be had along these lines. (not in that order):cool:
  26. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

I'm sooo over the Younger. I'll be heading back soon to RRBC for some fresh Elder and a few others.
    If you do go for the Younger during the two weeks I would think about going that first Monday after the weekend rush. The first time I went to the release was when all the growler fills were going out like crazy (the last year for Younger growler fills). And that's when Younger was gone that Friday evening. I waited over 3 hours in line and another 20 minutes before getting the Younger. The year after I went I was the first in line Monday morning at 1030am. The pub was almost full by the time I left at 1pm. I'm sure the Younger will still be fresh that Monday after its release on Friday. There are so much better TIPA/DIPA/IPA's than the Younger these days. IMO.
  27. penniwisdom

penniwisdom Initiate (0) California Sep 10, 2010

I hate the hype train as much as the next guy but Younger is pretty freakin amazing. Can't think of any other tipa that's quite that delicious.
    NWer likes this.
  28. mrelizabeth

A great alternate trip is to Alpine, CA. Stay across from Alpine Beer Company for a few nights, get to drink plenty of Nelson, Duet, PH, and probably a few rarer beers as well. No PTY, of course, but plenty of incredible hoppy ales. Great food, to boot.
    grandmeaulnes likes this.
  29. vacax

vacax Advocate (620) California Jun 3, 2008

No, nobody has ever been to a tapping of Pliny the Younger. Who knows where all the reviews come from.
  30. mrelizabeth

Last year we had a magical PTY experience. Established local bar, got the heads up from a grizzled local bartender that we might want to show up around 7 pm on a weeknight in Feb. Went in, sat down, had a few beers. At 8pm, said bartender walked in, and made an announcement to all of us at the bar: "Don't tweet this shit, don't facebook this shit. I'm tapping PTY right now. I'm announcing it in one hour. From now til then, it's all yours. Don't text all your asshole friends- this is for you guys." We drank (free) PTY for the next hour. That was a great night. By 10pm, the keg was blown.
  31. This past year, my neighborhood brewery posted a facebook update on a weekday morning that they had just tapped PTY. You could only get it by checking in and showing the bartender your facebook update. There was just me and one other guy drinking it at the bar. Not having to wait in a line made the beer that much better.
  32. mjl21

mjl21 Advocate (535) California Apr 3, 2008

If you like the hops, Sonoma County can't be beat right now. Bear Republic is pouring Cafe Racer 15; RR has Happy Hops, Row 2, Blind Pig, and Pliny; Lagunitas has Wet Dog, Fillmore Fusion, and Sucks.
  33. I love Superb Owl Sunday, the owls are so superb.
  34. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Savant (285) California Jan 12, 2009

No PTY on the first Fri, Sat or Sun....save youself the grief. The following week is primo.
  35. It's the first two weeks in Feb. right?
  36. Yes February 1-14 according to RRBC site
  37. NWer

NWer Advocate (635) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Been there done that the last two years. Hit first Tuesday. Two years ago no line to speak of. I showed up 30 minutes early and I was the only one there. First one in the door. Last year different story. Long lines before open even on Tuesday and subsequent days but the weekends were much much worse. Will be there for the second week this time around & plan to raid Bottle Barn given RR is pulling out of Washington State.
    And to those who think PtY is just hype, you certainly are entitled to your opinion. Mine is it's awesome for what it's worth.
  38. NWer

Forgot to mention. San Francisco Beer Week is Feb 8-17 http://www.sfbeerweek.org/
    Also a tip if you want to avoid expensive old hotels and outrageous parking. Last year we stayed at the Courtyard at Larkspur Landing & took the commuter ferry to SF. Nicer hotel for less $$, free parking & a nice boat ride into town. Get an all-day transit pass to get around town - good for trollies too. And the hotel was a block from Marin Brewpub.
  39. Madskill

Madskill Savant (255) California Nov 25, 2012

DO they have PtY in growlers during the tap week? I just had sculpin and mine was not bitter at all, what gives?
  40. NWer

No PtY growlers - thank God. They allowed growler fills three years ago and it was a disaster. The by-the-glass only sales policy was a stroke of genius. A lot of people in a festive atmosphere enjoying great beer for two whole fucking weeks not counting the distribution where the experience is repeated.
    Just curious: What does Sculpin not being bitter have to do with PtY? I missed the segue.
    Cheers