Heading to Salt Lake and Moab

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by gratefulbeerhead, Jun 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gratefulbeerhead

gratefulbeerhead Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2009 Indiana

Not familiar with the beer scene out this way. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Flying in for a family wedding and some hiking with the family, so unfortunately, I won't be able to bring any midwest beer with me for trades. However, I might be able to purchase some bottles and send them home with extended family that is driving.

Thanks, Eric

2. MtnSoup

MtnSoup Initiate (0) May 20, 2013 Colorado

Epic, Uinta and Squatters are your best bets. When in SLC, hit up Squatters Pub, Beer Bar and Beerhive - all have great beers...keep in mind anything on draft will be low ABV, so you'll want to order bottles unless you're looking to sample session beers (which are among the best anywhere as Utah has been doing it for years now).

Most of the Utah State Liquor stores have the same variety to choose from. Epic has a spot downtown where you can buy their bombers to send home. Also make sure to keep an eye out for Uinta's Birthday Suit (21st anniversary beer) sour farmhouse ale. Also, if you're into Rauchebier, Uinta has a great one (Tinder).

3. gratefulbeerhead

Is there an ABV limit on draft beer? Is there a total limit on ABV for all including bottles?

4. MtnSoup

There's a 3.2 ABV limit for draft, but no limit for bottles.

5. gratefulbeerhead

I can drink a lot of different beers at 3.2%. This may be a fun adventure in session beers!

6. MtnSoup

Yeah, I'd argue Utah is poised to dominate the session beer trend...they've been making these beers for a loong time (not by choice), but are pretty good at. I actually loved the choices of session draft lines at Beerhive late one night last time I was in SLC. The last thing I needed was a high-ABV beer at that point. I'm in Utah two times a month or so for work, so I'm constantly checking out the latest and greatest spots. Definitely check out Beer Bar too in SLC if you can - it just opened, and they have some really interesting bottles.

7. bfields4

bfields4 Savant (1,147) Dec 11, 2007 Colorado

Just an FYI, but the 3.2% limit is alcohol by weight not alcohol by volume. they're two different calculations. a 3.2% ABW beer is about 4% ABV. I think there's a explanation somewhere on this site too if you'd like more information.

8. MtnSoup

Correct. I misstated - it's 4.0 ABV...3.2 ABW.

9. Wasatch

Wasatch Grand Pooh-Bah (5,406) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Exactly. I would diffentently checkout Squatter's and the Bayou.

Cheers!

10. Wasatch

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

When in Moab, checkout the Moab Brewery.

Cheers!

Schmittymack and MtnSoup like this.
  11. gratefulbeerhead

I did check out Moab Brewing after some great hiking in Arches, including a sunset hike up to Natural Arch. Unfortunately, only had water in my water bottle. Drinking a Squatters Full Suspension right now at the hotel in Tooele, and hope to hit Epic before we leave. Also picked up some barrel aged bottles of Unita at the State Liquor store. Not a huge selection, but also nice to find some FW there as well. Thanks for all the help.

MtnSoup likes this.
  12. Wasatch

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Cool!

Cheers!

13. concealed

concealed Initiate (0) May 7, 2009 Georgia

Utahers might be interested to here that Uinta is in the process of selling itself. Saw the investment banking book, looks good. Optimistic expectations about the future, to say the least. Wasn't sure of the most appropriate place for discussion.

14. mikey451

mikey451 Crusader (457) Mar 11, 2003 Utah

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

Jsteez likes this.
  15. Schmittymack

Schmittymack Pooh-Bah (1,760) Sep 3, 2008 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

On a semi related note, is Eddie McStiff's still open in Moab? They were good eons ago but went downhill shortly after Moab Brewery opened.

16. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2012 Utah

They're still open. Was around there a few days ago.

Schmittymack likes this.
  17. concealed

concealed Initiate (0) May 7, 2009 Georgia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.