1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Heading to TX, Austin and Houston, Looking for Help

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by ljkeats, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Hi,

I'm heading down to Texas for a week starting this Thursday (April 12th) with my wife and daughter to visit some of my wife's extended family for a few day. I think we're splitting the time between Austin and Houston pretty evenly.

As you can guess, "beer vacation time" will be at a minimum since we're coming primarily to visit family. I've already blocked out about 2 hours on Saturday April 14th for a tour and tasting at Jesterking, but after that I'm lost.

Austin - We'll be on the East Side of Austin mainly (Dripping Springs area), so I'm hoping for some info on places to get local/TX beer (JK, Live Oak, whatever else you suggest) for drinking while on vacation, and maybe to bring back to the Boston area. Also, a store with a selection of beer from other parts of the country that's not available in Boston would be great (New Belgium, Deschutes, etc..)

I hope to pack a couple of Pretty Things bottles in my luggage, in case anyone interested happens to be at Jesterking on Saturday. If they allow that sort of thing.

Houston - looking for a beer bar and/or store to escape to for an hour or two. I know that we'll be downtown somewhere, but not exactly sure where my sister-in-law's condo is. Plus, we won't have a car in Houston.

Thanks!

2. starrrrrrrrr

starrrrrrrrr Initiate (0) Texas May 6, 2008

look up google on drafthouse they hzve goods beers

3. BgThang

BgThang Savant (445) Texas Dec 23, 2007

Thirsty planet is very close to jester king and they have their tours after jester king. thirstyplanet beer is average though.

4. Crack2000

Crack2000 Aficionado (200) Texas Dec 10, 2010

There is a pretty good beer bar in Dripping Springs called The Barber Shop. Flying Saucer in Downtown Houston is a great bet. If you can get a ride, D&Q is just outside of downtown and a great bottle shop in addition to the massive Specs downtown location on Smith street.

5. kevinscott

kevinscott Savant (335) Texas Oct 21, 2008

Assuming you're flying into Austin and driving West to Dripping Springs: I would suggest stopping at the Spec's off of Brodie Lane. If you're unfamiliar Spec's is a TX chain of liquor stores that are the size of warehouses. This one in particular was formerly an Academy. So it's huge and conveniently on your way out West. Pretty much any bottles you'll hope to find will be available here, TX brewers and otherwise. The only place that I know of in Dripping Springs is the Barber Shop, which a cool little bar with about 20 taps and a decent selection of locals. It's also a brewpub but I've never seen more than one of their house beers on at a time.

In Houston, if you're not going to have a car it may be difficult. One of my favorite spots is Liberty Station off of Washington Ave. It's a great place when the weather is nice as it's almost entirely outside. Also the Cedar Creek/Onion Creek restaurants are nice for a meal and a beer. They seem to have local beers available too.

6. Frozenmoses

Frozenmoses Aficionado (230) Texas Nov 23, 2010

+1 on Liberty Station in Houston. One of my favorite local watering holes. I also recommend BRC gastropub, just a couple miles down the road. Spectacular food, and solid draft selection. They have about 20 taps and try to cater to a lot of different styles.

7. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

You will be near Whip In in Austin. A great store and beer bar. Also heard they have some killer Indian food, though I did not get a chance to try it when I was there.

For Houston, there are several places around downtown.

Liberty Station as mentioned above. Very chill.
    Hay Merchant is the new it place for beer bars. Awesome selection, and very interesting southern inspired food. Just west of downtown. You might want to check out Underbelly as well. It is attached to Merchant, and more of a wine bar. The food is out of this world, and they have a few interesting bottles like Jester King.
    The Flying Saucer is right downtown. This might be your best bet with no car. The metro train stops right in front.
    Specs Downtown/Midtown is the best place option for stores.

8. OK, more info. Looks like I'll be near Discovery Green while in Houston. According to Google, Flying Saucer is about 6 blocks away - so I should be all set for a beer bar. Tips for a store in Houston would still be appreciated!

9. lindsey624

lindsey624 Aficionado (125) Texas Feb 14, 2009

The Mcgowen stop on the rail puts you about 3 blocks away from the Midtown Specs on smith

10. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

The Hay Merchant and D&Q both do growler fills. D&Q does almost exclusively locals only, there are a few exceptions here and there. The Hay Merchant has a pretty solid beer list, but if you're staying downtown, Flying Saucer will definitely be a closer stop.