1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Heading up to Oxbow this weekend

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by lukemroy, Jan 30, 2013.

1. has anybody been up there recently? What are the prices for growler fills and bottles? Will they fill other brewery's growlers?

2. ToasterChef

ToasterChef Savant (450) Maine Mar 26, 2008

I'm pretty sure Maine requires breweries to only use their own growlers. I'm headed there on Saturday. I'm excited to get some Midcoast IPA.

3. Bowdoinbeerboy

Bowdoinbeerboy Savant (400) Maine Sep 28, 2006

Random question for you folks either heading up to Newcastle or that have already been there, what size brewing system does Oxbow use? Thanks for the info!

PS. Love Spacecowboy!

4. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

I want to say 15 bbl but that may have changed since the last time I was in the brewhouse.

5. Had the Midcoast IPA (Freestlye 12 I believe) on tap at Novare Res last month. I enjoyed it. I'm really hoping to grab some bottles of the Barrel Aged Pale Ale that I've heard such great things about.

6. dasenebler

dasenebler Savant (490) Maine Jan 26, 2008

It's a 7BBL system.

7. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

Growler fills: $10 for standard beers, $15 for Freestyles & Noel, plus $5 for the growler.

Bottles: $15 BA FPA, $20 Oxtoberfest if they have any left.

It is illegal for breweries in Maine to fill growlers from other breweries.

8. Awesome, thanks for the info!

beerinmaine and Trevdawg like this.
  9. Get me a bottle of BA FPA!!!!

10. FYI: Three Penny Taproom here in VT is hosting Oxbow for a beer dinner end of February. Hosted a beer & cheese pairing event with them for Portland Beer Week in Dec. Their beers are super food-friendly and very unique - VT'ers, check them out!

franklinn likes this.
  11. You, sir, can get bent!

But yeah, I'll share with you :cool:

12. Awww it's not like there are bottle limits, right? :p

I pays you backs i swears

13. beerinmaine

No specific bottle limits @ Oxbow. I guess Celeste might have an issue if you tried to buy every last case, but within reason....

14. ToasterChef

ToasterChef Savant (450) Maine Mar 26, 2008

There are six barrels sitting in the tasting room now, all bourbon barrels. Two contain Farmhouse Pale, filled on 1/31. The other four each contain Saison Noel, but each also has a different wild yeast: brux, brett, lacto and one other (it wasn't written in the barrel that I could see). Plans are to release the BA Noel next winter!

Trevdawg likes this.
  15. Brez07

Brez07 Initiate (0) Maine Sep 29, 2009

I believe it will be the same deal as the Oxtoberfest released last fall - a blend of fresh and barrel aged

16. beerinmaine

Probably no wild yeast in the last one yet...only 2 of 4 were labeled last time I was there.