1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Heading up to Oxbow this weekend

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by lukemroy, Jan 30, 2013.

1. lukemroy

lukemroy Member

has anybody been up there recently? What are the prices for growler fills and bottles? Will they fill other brewery's growlers?
  2. ToasterChef

ToasterChef Member

I'm pretty sure Maine requires breweries to only use their own growlers. I'm headed there on Saturday. I'm excited to get some Midcoast IPA.
  3. Bowdoinbeerboy

Bowdoinbeerboy Member

Random question for you folks either heading up to Newcastle or that have already been there, what size brewing system does Oxbow use? Thanks for the info!

PS. Love Spacecowboy!
  4. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Member

I want to say 15 bbl but that may have changed since the last time I was in the brewhouse.
  5. lukemroy

lukemroy Member

Had the Midcoast IPA (Freestlye 12 I believe) on tap at Novare Res last month. I enjoyed it. I'm really hoping to grab some bottles of the Barrel Aged Pale Ale that I've heard such great things about.
  6. dasenebler

dasenebler Member

It's a 7BBL system.
  7. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Member

Growler fills: $10 for standard beers, $15 for Freestyles & Noel, plus $5 for the growler.

Bottles: $15 BA FPA, $20 Oxtoberfest if they have any left.

It is illegal for breweries in Maine to fill growlers from other breweries.
  8. lukemroy

lukemroy Member

Awesome, thanks for the info!
    beerinmaine and Trevdawg like this.
  9. Trevdawg

Trevdawg Member

Get me a bottle of BA FPA!!!!
  10. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Member

FYI: Three Penny Taproom here in VT is hosting Oxbow for a beer dinner end of February. Hosted a beer & cheese pairing event with them for Portland Beer Week in Dec. Their beers are super food-friendly and very unique - VT'ers, check them out!
    franklinn likes this.
  11. lukemroy

lukemroy Member

You, sir, can get bent!

But yeah, I'll share with you :cool:
  12. Trevdawg

Trevdawg Member

Awww it's not like there are bottle limits, right? :p

I pays you backs i swears
  13. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Member

No specific bottle limits @ Oxbow. I guess Celeste might have an issue if you tried to buy every last case, but within reason....
  14. ToasterChef

ToasterChef Member

There are six barrels sitting in the tasting room now, all bourbon barrels. Two contain Farmhouse Pale, filled on 1/31. The other four each contain Saison Noel, but each also has a different wild yeast: brux, brett, lacto and one other (it wasn't written in the barrel that I could see). Plans are to release the BA Noel next winter!
    Trevdawg likes this.
  15. Brez07

Brez07 Member

I believe it will be the same deal as the Oxtoberfest released last fall - a blend of fresh and barrel aged
  16. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Member

Probably no wild yeast in the last one yet...only 2 of 4 were labeled last time I was there.