1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Heady and G Bot thoughts

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by MVP09, Mar 4, 2013.

1. MVP09

MVP09 Member

I have tried both finally, and as fresh as I could in a can. Heady is hoppier and more bitter, resin? G Bot is more juicy and smooth, malty? Am I totally off on these impressions? Two totally awesome east coast DIPAs!
  2. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Member

Agreed, GB maltier
  3. jtdolla911

jtdolla911 Member

I haven't had Heady, but as someone who is not a "hophead" I really enjoyed G Bot, mostly because of the malt presence and understated hops.
  4. MVP09

MVP09 Member

I drove 4hrs round trip to get a few 4 packs of G Bot, totally worth it this stuff is awesome! Had Elm City a few years ago it was a good larger. NEBCO moved outta Mass, so having fresh G Bot has me psyched for more NEBCO. Lucked out and got Premeditated Murder (barley wine) too.
    Genuine likes this.
  5. FrankLloydMike

FrankLloydMike Member

I'd love to try them side-by-side. The first time I tried Heady, on-tap back at the old brewpub, I was very disappointed based on the reputation: it had a lot of that cloying sweetness that can be found in lots of DIPAs. Upon revisiting it in the can about a year ago, though, I really enjoyed it. It had a much clearer, drier taste. It's hard to say, not having Gandhi Bot in about two months and Heady in about a year. Both are killer beers, and different takes on the style. If I had to choose a favorite based on my current memory, I'd go with G-Bot: less intense, but a smoother drink for the long-haul. But if I was able to have them side-by-side, that opinion my change--who knows. Anyone who can have them side-by-side to decide, though, is in for a real treat.
  6. smutty33

smutty33 Member

I've had Heady canned on the same day.Same for G-Bot as I live close to the brewery.Heady just edges out the Bot for me but I tell ya.....G-Bot isn't far off at all.Now that NEBCo. can get the hops they need more consistently,that pop-lockin Robot has been tasting better and better.(Like I thought that was possible...lol.)Visiting NEBCo. this past saturday,I mentioned to Matt(Head Brewer)that the latest Bot which was just put on tap was simply outstanding.He then mentioned that the last 2 batches in particular are probably his best yet,and was only gonna get better.......;)
    Honored to have such a delicious brew in my own backyard.

For me,Heady Topper.........5
    Gandhi-Bot..........................4.75

Cheers All.........
    pjs234, T-RO and jamvt like this.
  7. CharlatanSin

CharlatanSin Member

Haven't had the most recent batch, but the one before that was absolutely sublime. Like maybe the best beer I've ever had. Haven't had Heady yet (that's changing next week!), but right now I'd put G-Bot up against the Plinys. Aren't we freaking lucky?
    smutty33 likes this.
  8. Pahn

Pahn Member

gandhi maltier and sweeter. heady hoppier and a bit dryer.

both fantastic. personal preference which one is better.

incidentally, the 1-off NEBCO hoppy beers like fuzzy baby ducks and coriolis are (in my opinion) better than both gandhi bot and heady (or maybe heady and coriolis are about equal, and fuzzy baby ducks is a perfect beer). just my opinion of course. in my head, there's a top tier of hoppy pale ales, occupied by lawson's beers, NEBCO one-offs, and hill farmstead beers, with heady topper marking out the bottom end of the 1st tier. the 2nd tier is like stone one-offs, zombie dust, ultra fresh better-batch versions of various popular beers (sculpin, gandhi bot, maine beer lunch), etc. hopslam is at the bottom of tier 2, and fresh pliny is at the top. haven't had PtY.

3rd tier and below gets more complicated. flower power. i don't know. who cares.
  9. T-RO

T-RO Member

I have a 3 week old gbot and a 1 week old HT on hand. I will take one for the team and do a direct compare this weekend.
    smutty33 likes this.
  10. jamiebbates

jamiebbates Member

11. Takeanotherswing

Takeanotherswing Member

when both fresh...
    Heady is more resiny, bitter and citrus,

Gandhi Bot has more fruit, malt flavor
  12. PetieP

PetieP Member

So, i'll cancel plans on a new thread and ask here.

Does NEBCo sell cases out of their brewery? Cash only, or do they take plastic? Im planning on heading thru on my way to VT, and Im hoping to grab a treasure of beer. Mostly G Bot and whatever else looks good. Am I on the right track, or am I on my way to disappointment?

Sorry to thread jack, just dont want to crowd the forums.
  13. RMoeNay

RMoeNay Member

They sell cans very rarely, due to the demand from distributors.... NEBCO is cash only, and will usually have three beers on tap. If you want Gandhi its on now for Growler fills for $15.00 plus $4 for the 64oz glass

Edit*** there is a store called Amity Wine and Spirits right down the road that will sell anything currently out from NEBCo, I would to there after a trip to the brewery
    Pahn likes this.
  14. PetieP

PetieP Member

KILLER. Thanks for the heads up!
  15. Providence

Providence Member

These two are my all time favorite DIPA's. Both are fantastic. Heady gets the sligh edge because of the extra mango/pineapple stuff that's going on. But again, G-bot is no slouch.
  16. omniscientcause

omniscientcause Member

I had them side by side at the begining of the year...I was very happy that night.
  17. ILOVESTOUTS

ILOVESTOUTS Member

So I picked up a 4 pack of GBot today and wanted to do a blind side by side with week old Heady...
    [​IMG]

I opted not to take a whiff because I felt that it would tip me off to Heady immediately. But rest assured the taste did that anyways, I prefer Heady, I get a lot more citrus and the 2nd wave of hop resin is much more floral with Heady. Where Ghandi Bot is definitely a tad more bitter on the finish. I LOVE the fact that I get the opportunity to do this! Cheers New England!
    [​IMG]
    pjs234, davey101, smutty33 and 2 others like this.
  18. T-RO

T-RO Member

Nice! I hope to do this experiment this weekend and also throw in a 3 week old Lunch. I am a feared though that by end of tasting I shall be thoroughly confused :)
    smutty33 likes this.
  19. smutty33

smutty33 Member

Anytime you need more G-Bot......I'll be glad to help my friend.

Cheers
    T-RO likes this.
  20. RMoeNay

RMoeNay Member

I can not agree with you more... this last batch at NEBCo is amazing... so hoppy and delicious.
    smutty33 likes this.
  21. Pahn

Pahn Member

for what it's worth (probably not much, since a quick glance at my post history will show that i'm a huge NEBCO fan), the last batch of gandhi was noticeably better than usual. i picked up a 64oz growler the day they canned that batch, brought it to a party, and it was mercilessly killed before i could have a 2nd glass for myself. (the coffee oatmeal stout was thoroughly enjoyed as well)
    davey101 likes this.
  22. PenningtonNY10

PenningtonNY10 Member

I got two four packs of Gandhi Bot today. Went to three stores and scored twice, good enough to me. Great birthday gift to myself! :) These are definitely floating around the area now...small shipments though.
  23. davey101

davey101 Member

Very different beers IMO. I love the bot and heady for very different reasons.