1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment Heady Topper #1 on BA

Discussion in 'Site' started by joeebbs, Jan 8, 2013.

1. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

Searched to see if this has been posted yet (or maybe this is really old news) but I just saw that Heady Topper is now #1 most popular on this website.

http://beeradvocate.com/lists/popular
    sbrotschul, Squidly and josephwa like this.
  2. This is because of the Hads/Wants merge, not because of anything else, just be aware.
  3. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

I also thought it might have to do with the Westy XII bricks being released and the score going down. Westy is down to #6 now.
  4. It also got 6 reviews with a score of 5 (including the 4.98) in the past 24 hours....
    davey101, ant880 and yamar68 like this.
  5. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

I'm pretty sure it was #3 before the merge, so the hads/wants thing didn't change Heady's place much.
  6. I guess I better (finally!) get some of this, too many good beers not enough time or money! :D
    homebrewer88 and Lucidious like this.
  7. 3 to 1 in the the top 5 is a big jump lol
    franklinn likes this.
  8. ... what? the entire point of this thread is noting that Heady is now #1. all my post was saying is that the reason Heady is now #1 is because of the Hads/Wants merge. like you yourself noted, Heady was #3 before, and #1 after. that is all.
  9. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

i dont like the merge. the scores should be based on people who take the time to make a proper review. i liekd havign the different scores to glance at
  10. before the hads/wants merge, Westy was #2 still. but yeah, I imagine the bricks impacted the Hads pretty considerably.
  11. nulledge

nulledge Aficionado (170) Florida Jul 14, 2008

Actually, comparing the rankings to a scrape I did a few months ago shows huge movement within all of the lists. It also looks like we're seeing some ratings creep, in that all the ratings for 'Hads' on average were higher than the full reviews. The lowest rated beer in the top 100 a few months ago was rated 4.34, now the lowest rating is 4.42. A 4.42 on the old list would have been good for spot #50.
    writerLJBerg, irv2424 and Cascade77 like this.
  12. Yup.
  13. dunix

dunix Savant (460) Vermont Jan 26, 2011

As it should be.
  14. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

I'm always surprised how much people care about the rankings on here.
  15. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Yep, people drinking and reviewing a just-brewed beer that is meant to be aged is bound to bring down the score. Let's get everyone to drink really old Heady Topper so it too is being consumed when not at its best.
  16. I'm always surprised when someone would click on a thread clearly about the ranking of a particular beer just to say that they are surprised by it
    rholmes, Boomblaze, Squidly and 3 others like this.
  17. Because to me it's crazy that someone would come on a beer ranking website and talk about the rankings of beer. WILD.
  18. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (790) New York Dec 13, 2009

better get some of this before the ranking system changes again and this one falls off the list entirely!
  19. luisfrancisco

luisfrancisco Savant (275) Mexico Dec 1, 2009

I am always surprised when people get surprised by what surprises other people on this site. That stuff shouldn't surprise anyone anymore. I shouldn't even get surprised at all.
  20. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

I am not surprised by this statement at all.
    SadMachine likes this.
  21. WTF, you mean that I am not on Rate Beer.

Way to go Mr Kimmich!!!!!!
    Squidly and doopiedoopiedoo like this.
  22. I was surprised to see you have 75 hads with 51 of them being reviews.
  23. Shit, I better go today! ;)
    cosmicevan and afrokaze like this.
  24. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (375) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

ZOMBIE DUST HAS MOVED UP TO #7
  25. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Funny you mention that, I accidentally deleted a bunch of them a while ago. I was trying to use them to track my tasting notes for a while but it was easier to just use Untappd. I write reviews pretty sparingly but I don't care about how it affects the score, I like reading reviews. FWIW I don't like the new combined scores, the full reviews should have .25 increments now so there's parity between reviews and hads :D
  26. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

I'm surprised that people actually waste their time counting how many of their local beers are in the list

Vermont has 9 beers in the top 51
    kort27 and benart like this.
  27. nothing suprises me anymore.
  28. Anyone else just go through all their Hads and delete them? I used that just for thoughtless tracking, and I am assuming that I wasn't the only one....those Top Beers now mean less than they ever did before.
  29. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

No life matters.
    RobertColianni likes this.
  30. The rankings are only a small part of BA. Its not a "beer ranking website", rather its a forum for discussions regarding all things beer related while also allowing users to review, rate, and track beers. They also include rankings and lists based on review scores. There's a lot to BA besides Top Beers List.
    HokiesandBeer and Brunite like this.
  31. JulianC

JulianC Savant (335) Illinois Mar 9, 2012

Great beer, but no way #7... geez really guys?
  32. I just went through and dropped a bunch of my 5 hads down a bit. Knowing now that hads effect the overall score of the beer, I can't see giving something like Heady or Zombie Dust a 5. Great beers, but are they on the same level as Rare and Younger? Not IMHO.
  33. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

my hads have been a mess since they were initially integrated with only whole number scores. i ended up giving a bunch of things 5s instead of 4s bc that was the only option, but now i really need to go through and change them bc everything has been lumped together.
    RobertColianni and BeerThursdays like this.
  34. Heady Ain't No Alpine.
  35. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (375) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

Agreed, and im a huge fan of the beer. I buy at least a case every month.

There has to be more than 6 beers that deserve to be rated higher than Zombie lol
    JulianC likes this.
  36. mixed_master7

mixed_master7 Initiate (0) Florida May 16, 2012

The way I see it, is if any brewery were to brew a beer that they didn't want the consumer to drink until years down the line...They would just hold onto it with their own aging program until they felt it was satisfactory enough. Don't get me wrong, Westy I'm sure is good fresh as well, and improves over time(never sought after it), but to compare your example of old Heady in which a majority of people here would have enough sense not to tick it, and obviously The Alchemist wouldn't sell old heady, seems to be a bit of an unfair comparison...

...But I totally understand what you're trying to say.
    bozodogbreath, Horbar and pepsican like this.
  37. Only a blind man or woman could give Heady a perfect score. Amazing beer, but not perfect to look at.
    kojevergas likes this.
  38. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (690) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

Even ignoring the price & rarity, if I had unlimited supplies of those beers, I'd drink a lot more HT and ZD than Rare. So, I'm personally comfortable with them being more highly rated.
    MrMcGibblets and Horbar like this.
  39. Todd

Todd Founder (1,430) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

"Drink from the can." ;)
  40. I think my quick rating of my "hads" is still an accurate rating of what I think overall of the beer...but I do also agree now that it means less. I'm still not going to let someone tell me what the world's best beer is, that's all a personal preference anyways (as we all know).

When I see a beer on the shelf that I've never had or seen, the first thing I do is bust out my cell phone and check BA. I go through and read the actual reviews to see what people are writing but the score is generally a good guideline.