1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment Heady Topper #1 on BA

Discussion in 'Site' started by joeebbs, Jan 8, 2013.

1. I haven't poured it in over a year. I stick to the can now. Not like the look turned me off, but I couldn't give it a 5 in that column.
  2. bobv

bobv Advocate (505) Vermont Feb 3, 2009

nah, about 2ft. away!
  3. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Yes! I do rather like that lamp! It's perfect. Too bad there is a glass of beer in the way.
    Squidly likes this.
  4. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (945) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2002 Staff Member

Heady Topper in my fridge since September still tastes fine.
  5. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Not that it wouldn't, but the higher ratings of Heady might be due to the higher turnover.
  6. In honor of this thread, I'm thinking about lowering my score for Heady Topper by a full point.

Just because I can.
  7. If thats your accurate opinion of the beer then do it, but to change it just to change is seems pretty silly to me.
  8. bobv

bobv Advocate (505) Vermont Feb 3, 2009

Don't shoot the message, shoot the messenger!
    writerLJBerg likes this.
  9. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (385) New York Aug 21, 2012

I will boost my score up a point to even it out boys. Oh wait, its a GD 5 already.
    omniscientcause likes this.
  10. RandyKemka

RandyKemka Savant (290) New York Dec 13, 2011

Yeah, I would use it to track the beers that I've HAD and just quickly rate it to remind myself how I felt about the beer.
    bbrown12 likes this.
  11. RandyKemka

RandyKemka Savant (290) New York Dec 13, 2011

Drinking a can of Heady Topper makes me happy.
    frankthetank86, bbrown12 and bobv like this.
  12. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

Look forward to trying Heady Topper one day. I got a bottle of Cantillon Gueuze for anyone who sends me some!
    frankthetank86 likes this.
  13. IPAyForHops

IPAyForHops Savant (270) California Apr 24, 2010

Why u mad doggie?

Get your definitions right before posting the link to my account and calling it a troll account, in case you don't know how to look it up:

In Internet slang, a troll (pron.: /ˈtrl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Seems like your the troll, huh? Direct your online aggression somewhere else, perhaps 4chan.org.
  14. honestly i cannot tell the difference between drinking from the can or the glass. how noob of me.
    Beerandraiderfan and UncleJimbo like this.
  15. alucard6679

alucard6679 Savant (260) Arizona Jul 29, 2012

Gotta love being in a state where its not available : (

There are plenty of amazing DIPAs I can get here in AZ though
  16. DJButters

DJButters Savant (310) California Jun 23, 2010

I apologize. At the time your account had some of the poorest ratings for the finest beers in the world. Those reviews are now mysteriously gone.
  17. IPAyForHops

Don't apologize, just delete your original post and we are good. No hard feelings.
  18. DJButters

DJButters Savant (310) California Jun 23, 2010

Sorry but it wont allow me to edit or delete. Just know you have my apology.
    IPAyForHops likes this.
  19. IPAyForHops

no worries! I deleted the original "beers had list" in my profile as I mistakenly put the qty of beers I had instead of its reviews. I would never give Melange No. 3 a 2 rating hahah, its a wonderful beer IMO.
    DJButters likes this.
  20. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (375) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

Does this mean that the beer that was #1 before the merge and now isn't #1 sucks?
  21. Knapp85

Knapp85 Advocate (690) Pennsylvania Dec 25, 2009

If there is ever a time when you do that again maybe put x2 or x3 behind it. that way some people don't snap on ya haha!
    IPAyForHops likes this.
  22. mnphish

mnphish Savant (365) Minnesota Aug 19, 2012

Westy will always be #1 in my book.
  23. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (945) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2002 Staff Member

Yes, every beer that is not #1 sucks. o_O
    SenorHops likes this.
  24. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (385) New York Aug 21, 2012

Personally rank each style separately. I can't compare a Westy to a Heady. Then, its really beer-by-occasion for me. Campfire in the snow = FIS, Steelhead fishing on the Great Lakes in July = Anti-hero, Raking leaves in the fall = Southern Tier Pumking, rare gathering with college friends = the best lineup I can find. The rankings are a fun way to catalog and discuss different beers over time.
    Jfriz25 and Flashy like this.
  25. sdpaul

sdpaul Savant (285) California May 2, 2012

great beer not sure if it is Number 1 worthy though...love the can aspect
  26. I agree. 98% of the time you can read the last 10 reviews and at least three people will take the time to tell you what you need to know
    Jason likes this.
  27. Yea, that's only 48 1/2 of them (limited distribution in MA = the 1/2) not counting mules.
  28. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Where is the limited distribution in MA? They don't distribute outside of northern VT
  29. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (270) Connecticut Aug 21, 2012

That would be 49 of them.
    WeymouthMike likes this.
  30. dougfur

dougfur Savant (310) New York Jan 24, 2011

I feel like I've written this two or three times in the past few days, but one more won't hurt: Whether you think Heady Topper deserves #1 , #10 or # 25, it's a really impressive brew, both from the taste dept. and the brewing skills dept. And, sitting at # 1 currently, it costs 12 dollars per 4 pack of 16oz cans! It's one of the cheapest DIPA's on the whole list and that's pretty cool of them. They could charge more.
  31. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (360) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

It has made it to Boston before, but that hasn't happened in a few months as far as I know.
  32. See below...and there we go...but let's call it 48 7/8ths states without HT.

33. willbm3

Haha not sure I would count a one time shipment last summer
  34. You're probably right but at least it did make it out of VT besides via a mule. Carry on.
  35. Boston has had a few shipments, with promise of more "soon", although "soon" has been said since the last shipment. we used to get it before the brewery washed away, and a couple times after, then they focused on the local market only for a while
  36. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

Is it really that good? or is it that fact that so few people can get it on a regular basis? I assume it is wonderful, but how much does the hype play into that?
  37. willbm3

It's easily the best IPA/DIPA I've ever had and has an incredibly unique flavor that I've never experienced in any other beer. I haven't had every beer so I can't tell you it's the best on the planet. What I can tell you is that it is really fucking good. If you like hops, you will love it.