1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Heady Topper: can or glass poll

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cookiequiz, May 22, 2013.

?

Do you drink HT from the can or a glass

1. glass

220 vote(s)
    52.8%
  2. can

197 vote(s)
    47.2%
  1. cookiequiz

cookiequiz Savant (300) California Apr 15, 2013

I like it from a glass better.

(Not debating merits and demerits---obviously that's been/being done elsewhere---just curious about preferences.)

2. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Just pour into a nice snifter or teku, and do so carefully at the back end of the pour so there aren't much in way of floaties. That's game, set, match, at least for me.

I'll drink it either way, it's a great DIPA but definitely glass > can for me.

3. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I have a rinsed out Pace picante sauce jar I use. The hourglass shape is perfect for heady.

4. Don't really care.

BeerHunter76 and jRocco2021 like this.
  5. i have drank it before both ways but today will go home and have some fresh heady open 2 cans
    drink one from glass and one from can at the same time and see what is better or if difference is negligible

drbenzo and alex_hart like this.
  6. I have tried both ways and I find out of the can is a more hop forward experience.

jbertsch, BadJustin and cosmicevan like this.
  7. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (945) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

8. Never had one.. Anyone want to donate to the "Dan Desperately Needs to Try Heady Charity"?

9. Brodie91

Brodie91 Initiate (0) New York Jul 13, 2012

I like ^ that guy's post, I have a similar charity just change the first word to "Brodie" haha

10. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (945) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

I'm sure you have many beers that you could trade for some Heady seeing as you are from CA.

Scalzo likes this.
  11. Eh.. It's a whole process.. I am looking for a handout like a pathetic beggar.

12. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (565) California Dec 12, 2009

The few times I've had it it's been 2/3's from glass, last 1/3 from can!!

13. leedorham

- The "blanket of CO2" argument is bunk. That wouldn't happen any more in a can than it would in a glass. Just as much oxygen will hit the beer over an hour of tipping a can vs tipping a glass.
    - He advocates pouring roughly in almost the same breath as uttering aeration concerns.
    - Beer = working man = drinking from can = one man's opinion on the way the world works and, imho, an unnecessary label
    - Not everybody uses camping compatibility as their primary reason for purchasing beer. You can also bring a plastic cup camping with you, which I find preferable to a can.

Great painters aren't always great at displaying their work. That's why we have curators at galleries.

14. teraflx

teraflx Savant (395) Arizona Feb 4, 2013

I would drink it out of anything if given the opportunity since we don't get it in my area of the world.

15. cookiequiz

I think that counts as a glass.

edit: Also, wish I'd included a 'Don't drink it at all---pity me!' option.

FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  16. leedorham

Yeah, that's the option I picked.

17. cookiequiz

Nicely done, on all counts.

18. I am here to say I like IT in the can !!

19. jdklks

jdklks Savant (375) Nevada Aug 9, 2007

There would be A LOT fewer votes for can if the can didn't say to drink it that way, I suspect.

20. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (640) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

I like to see my beer, so glass. I also don't dig having a can in my face. Maybe if it's settled out and a bit ugly I won't like it in the glass as well, but I don't intend to let it sit that long.

21. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,120) Washington Sep 24, 2007

I've never had it, but voted glass anyway. Valid!

FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  22. jdklks

As long as you realize that is all in your head, because that isn't even remotely possible. And, to avoid confusion, it would be equally impossible for it to be more "hop forward" out of a glass. Drinkware doesn't chemically (not magically either) alter the chemical composition of the substance you pour into it. So unless the metal on your heady cans is hop flavored, I would suggest you reassess.

23. It is not an ‘in your head thing’. Heady Topper does indeed have more hop presence if you drink it from the can. Some prior postings on this topic:

“I took a totally different explanation for the benefits of drinking the beer from the can. John Kimmach stated that by pouring the beer into a glass can cause oxidation which will have an effect on the flavor of the beer (as you drink the last half of the glass).

I had a can of Heady Topper where I drank it half & half (half in a glass and half from the can). To my utter amazement I enjoyed the flavor better from the can.”

Another prior post:

“Also, wouldn't simply drinking from the can introduce oxygen? When you drink the beer, something has to replace that volume, which is air. By tilting the can up and down you are mixing in the air.”

If you listen to the video he explains that by drinking from the can there is a layer of CO2 which ‘protects’ the beer from to effects of air (oxygen).”

And another:

“Beer has CO2 in solution (carbonation). As you open a can (or bottle) the CO2 will come out of solution. Since CO2 is heavier than air there will be a layer of CO2 which ‘covers’ the top of the beer in the can (or bottle). This layer of CO2 will protect the beer from air (oxygen).”

And one more:

“But, at the same time pouring a beer that gives a head builds a CO2 layer also doesn't it?” Yes, as you beer a beer into a glass the resulting filled up glass will have a CO2 layer on top. I believe that the ‘bigger issue’ is that the empty glass is full of air (which is approximately 20% oxygen). The action of pouring the beer into an empty glass exposes the beer to lots of oxygen. Once the beer has been oxygenated, the oxidation processes begin right away. One of the oxidation processes with hoppy beer is hop flavor/aroma fade. That is why John Kimmich emphasized the point that as you get to the bottom of the glass (he arbitrarily picked a timeframe of 20 minutes) the beer will taste different. The oxidation processes will have caused the hop flavor/aroma to fade.”

Cheers!

24. jdklks

Since I can only "like" this once, I will point out the fact that I would like to like it a bunch more times. The internet has some great resources, but is also home to a devastating amount of garbage masquerading as "science." The worst part? People believe it without doing the proper research. "But John Kimmich says so!"

25. jdklks

Jack: the top half of your examples are all anecdotal (and thus "in your [the poster's] head") and the bottom half (two) are pseudo-scientific mumbo jumbo.

edit: none of this is to say oxidation doesn't occur. Just that if you're to actually perceiving its effects you are drinking your beer much too slowly.

26. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

Never had it. Send me some and I'll let you know what I think

27. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I've only had it in a glass, however I recently discovered that I enjoy mamas little yella pils straight from thhe can and think when poured into a glass it tastes different, and not as enjoyable. Next ht I get will be consumed from the can.

28. First time I got it, I tried it both ways. Thought the can was better, and I've been drinking it that way ever since. Then about 2 weeks ago I decided to drink it from a glass. It was awesome. Sticking with the glass for a while. Makes it seem like it's a brand new beer. It's like banging your girlfriend from behind after she dyes her hair.

29. I have only recently had Heady, and followed the instructions and drank from the can. Next time I am trying the glass (picking up not one but two cases on Saturday!). In the video he talks about having it sit around for 30 minutes or an hour in the glass, that simply does not happen when I drink a great beer so not at all worried about that. And I much prefer a beer in a glass so guessing that will be my top choice. Also, if he is so interested in the "working man" perhaps I could get it cheaper than $75 a case next time!

lukemroy likes this.
  30. Oxidation does indeed occur and it is noticeable.

My 'expeiment' was to pour half of the can into a glass and drink the glass first. I then started drinking from the can after the glass was empty and the first sip from the can was like "wow" compared to the last sip from the glass.

There is no pseudo-scientific mumbo jumbo going on here!

Cheers!

31. So.. no takers for the "Dan Desperately Needs to Try Heady Charity"?

32. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (815) New York Dec 13, 2009

Seriously. What is the next poll going to be - pliny, drink it fresh or age it?

regularjohn and jrnyc like this.
  33. amp138

amp138 Savant (295) Rhode Island Dec 21, 2011

How about "can I age a barleywine?"

cosmicevan likes this.
  34. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Can. Hard to say it , but I like it better from the can than on tap , the hop hit seems more Intense.

SadMachine likes this.
  35. allies_dad

allies_dad Aficionado (145) Texas Mar 19, 2013

Glass... always

SteelersX likes this.
  36. soughtbygod

soughtbygod Savant (290) California Apr 27, 2011

CAN CAN CAN CAN CAN CAN

37. juliusseizure

juliusseizure Savant (420) New York Feb 11, 2009

Can - Taste
    Glass - Smell

38. The only thing I know about Heady, is that you should swallow it.

jRocco2021, mecmd, yamar68 and 2 others like this.
  39. grumpy

grumpy Savant (405) Missouri May 24, 2005

Had our Vermont law limit of tasters at the brewery - which were ON TAP.....crystal clear with lovely taste and aroma. Took away a 4-pk, drank it the next 2 days from a glass, and it was crystal clear with lovely taste and aroma. There were no floaties. The taste experiences were identical. I'd be willing to try it from the can, but if it's so important to consume in that manner, why is it ON TAP at the brewery? There again, perchance my query is rhetorical.

MrMcGibblets likes this.
  40. cookiequiz

Fortunately the Pliny bottle doesn't say 'drink it aged.'