1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Heady Topper: can or glass poll

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cookiequiz, May 22, 2013.

?

Do you drink HT from the can or a glass

1. glass

220 vote(s)
    52.8%
  2. can

197 vote(s)
    47.2%
  1. Everyone likes it in the can. Heyooooooo.

AwesomeSquad likes this.
  2. first sip from the can - just to say "I followed directions"
    But I do prefer in a glass if handy...of course I deff give the last 1/3 a nice swirl before pouring out...

johnsonni and alysmith4 like this.
  3. Both ways have their benefits. As far as I'm concerned, if you're consuming Heady Topper in any way then you're cool in my book.

4. shawnp

shawnp Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

I've tried both glassware and can and both are amazing. I'm cool either way.

5. I voted can, but I had it at a bar (the cannery had "record sales" that Friday :() with a pint glass. Can > pint glass.

6. Jack, I believe in a separate thread you were curious if other hop forward beers taste better in the can. I tried this with Uinta Wyld and Wachusett Light IPA recently. Both were significantly better from the glass.

Granted one is a light IPA and the other is a pale ale. I've noticed these "light" hop forward beers have an amazing nose, and a thinner body, so perhaps these are more sensitive to a flavor drop-off if the nose is muted from the can.

7. I am house broken therefore the glass most everything in the Duvel tulip.

alysmith4 likes this.
  8. skinsfan

skinsfan Advocate (600) Maryland May 24, 2005

My answer is actually both, I usually pour it into my stemless HT glass after taking a couple swigs from the can.

mdfb79 and alysmith4 like this.
  9. I've tried it side by side both ways multiple times, and while it smells glorious in a glass the taste is just so much juicier and hoppy out of the can! While I love a good smelling beer I drink beer to taste it, so the can gets my vote!

bahnfire and JackHorzempa like this.
  10. Jeremy_H

Jeremy_H Aficionado (205) Illinois Apr 16, 2013

Have you done this yet? What is the result?

11. You also need to take note of the difference between the glass and can after a period of time (e.g., 15 - 20 minutes). The idea is that the beer in the glass will taste great initially but after some time (15 -20 minutes) the hop flavor/aroma will be different. For the beer from the can, you shouldn't notice as much change over that same time duration.

Cheers!

12. cyrushire

cyrushire Advocate (620) Florida May 25, 2012

I prefer mine doused in a soy wasabi slurry and served with a side of spicy mayo.

SadMachine likes this.
  13. mdfb79

mdfb79 Advocate (680) New York Jan 11, 2010

I usually pour about 10-12 ounces into a tulip and then drink the other 4-6 ounces out of the can. It's great either way so not a huge deal.

FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  14. bahnfire

bahnfire Savant (490) Vermont Jan 17, 2011

This has been my experience as well. I completely agree.

SadMachine likes this.
  15. Have done it 3 ways..... 1. drink the first 2/3 from can rest from glass. 2. All can. 3. All glass.

I prefer to keep it in the can because I think it's an ugly beer and tastes better out of the can. Don't know if the look is affecting the taste for me mentally but that's my $.02.

Go pens

16. haruspexvic

haruspexvic Savant (265) Illinois Aug 23, 2012

I got my first heady ever today, and am debating how to drink it.. probably gonna go can for my first time.

Hopsiam14 likes this.
  17. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (445) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

The can clearly states, "drink from the can". Who am I to argue with them?

Dank26 and cosmicevan like this.
  18. I can taste the metallic quality of a can. Good beer deserves glass.

glass is more green

19. John Kimmich says it all and so does the can. AND IT STATES: "Drink from the can!" Says that for a reason and the man who brews it himself says it all. (watch the video from Ri0 above) End of story beer snobs/geeks. STFU and just drink it from the can like a man!!!

20. dar482

dar482 Advocate (670) New York Mar 9, 2007

Any reason why it's not dated?

21. I always drink the first sip or two from the can, then pour the remainder into a glass.

22. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Love this debate, but I do think, if the look of a beer plays into your enjoyment, better from can. For me look doesn't matter. I like from a glass better for the reasons dry hopped beer always tastes better poured.

Wish JK would be honest and just say,"Conan yeast doesn't like to settle out, and if you drink Heady from the can you won't have to see the floaties," which I believe is the truth of it.

Hop resins and oxidation in under ten minutes, GMAFB.

jdklks likes this.
  23. John Kimmich says drink it from the can...who am I to argue.

24. Esper1

Esper1 Aficionado (100) Connecticut Jan 22, 2013

I'm sure some of it is suggestion from the can but I actually do prefer the taste from the can. To tie it to BMC I like it better in the can. At least with heady but with some of Oskar blues like g'knight I can't stand the taste out of the can but enjoy it in the glass more. To tie it all together with something semi foul get head(y) and take it in the can.

SadMachine likes this.
  25. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

I pour it in a glass slowly. try to keep it like it is in the can as much as possible. i think the taste is a bit more intense from the can, but I like to look at it and prefer glass than aluminum on my mouth. like to put my schnoz in the middle of the glass and inhale deeply.

The site of Heady properly poured and stored is a work of art. Nice and hazy.
    [​IMG]

some of the glass shots I've seen here though are pretty damn ugly due to age and probably temperature changes - clear with giant floaties. i'd probably drink those from the can because I don't want to look at that.

26. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (950) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

Glass but usually because I'm sharing it with friends.

27. This is the thing that struck me about HT the first time I drank it (from the tap at the old pub)- the pour was gorgeous. Some people don't care for a cloudy look, but I love the dramatic pour and the sense that your literally drinking hop floaties. It's a beautiful beer to pour in my opinion, which is why I do so when I have that option.

28. For keg stands of course, duh!

29. dougfur

dougfur Savant (320) New York Jan 24, 2011

Well, any time you want to do a Kern River Citra/Heady trade, just let me know.

30. skinsfan

31. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Where is the "any way I can get it" option?

SadMachine and rlcoffey like this.
  32. skinsfan

so riddle me this, why then also make a specific HT glass??? Decoration?

33. celfan

while i like it in a glass, i actually prefer it in a glass from the can rather than in a glass from the tap (I've had it at brewery and The Pig). heady is the only beer i can say this about, i otherwise always like tapped versions better.

As great as it tastes, the fact that Alchemist can deliver such a great beer from a container is just as astounding.

34. celfan

they make the glutten free ale too

35. From the can - I just like drinking beer from the can.

36. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

And since most of what we call taste is actually smell....

37. If I am ever lucky enough to come across some of that, I will let you know. Haven't seen it yet, though.

38. dougfur

dougfur Savant (320) New York Jan 24, 2011

Alas, it is not easy to procure, but gaawwwwd is it tasty!