1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Heady Topper: can or glass poll

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cookiequiz, May 22, 2013.

?

Do you drink HT from the can or a glass

1. glass

220 vote(s)
    52.8%
  2. can

197 vote(s)
    47.2%
  1. nachos

nachos Aficionado (215) Minnesota Jun 4, 2012

Nerds. Beer does not have to be so freaking serious all the time. It won't kill you to drink a beer out of a can. Try to lighten up. This whole "I only drink shit out of tekus bro, only way to get those sweet ass 'romas" crowd is ridiculous. You make me want to beat all of you up and steal the money your mom gave you for lunch, but you were actually going to spend it on Settlers of Catan or some shit like that.

Ericness and SadMachine like this.
  2. I prefer drinking it from the machine that puts it into the can... and I mean it...

3. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

Glass!!!!

[​IMG]

4. I enjoy it more from a glass. Like any bottle conditioned belgian beer, I fill the glass and keep the particles behind, then after having a taste from the glass, drink the dregs out of the can. I am doubtful that the can helps keep a blanket of co2 over the beer any more than a glass does - and I think the last drop is just as delicious as the first.

Drinking from the can is useful when drinking outdoors when its sunny.

5. To each their own, the hop floaties kind of grossed me out while I was drinking mine from a glass this weekend, I think from now on I'll only be drinking it from the can. I don't necessarily mind the cloudy part it was the floating particulates that weirded me out.

6. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (600) California Aug 26, 2009

I'm fortunate enough to drink Heady on a fairly regular basis so it's not like each time is a religious experience. At this point I usually drink it from the can because I think it taste pretty fricken excellent as is but occasionally I pour a few ounces for a nice aroma.

7. So last night drank 2 heady at same time one from a FFF teku glass and other from can
    I think the fact that I poured it into the glass super slow and didnt pour out the very last where it has the bottom floaties may have added to the way it tasted, but I think I prefer to drink it out of the glass I finished the can first and the glass lasted a little longer but I did notice a change in the taste by the end of the glass it seemed not as much as bitter hop bite and tended to taste a little more fruity The can seemed to retain the initial hop bite through out although I went thru it pretty quickly
    All in all was great experiment and can't complain about drinking 2 heady topper except that I have 2 less lol
    I recommend giving it a try and see what you think yourself

DrLaFollette likes this.
  8. I had two cans last year. I drank 1 from the can and 1 from a wine glass side by side. Initially there was no difference, but I noticed the nose and flavour of the beer in the glass seemed to deteriorate over the course of the hour I spent on the beer.

JackHorzempa and SadMachine like this.
  9. You can do both as I posted previously: “I had a can of Heady Topper where I drank it half & half (half in a glass and half from the can).”

If you do this please drink the glass first and take note of how the last sip from the glass compared to your first sip from the can and reports back your experiences.

Cheers!

10. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

Yeah what a rube, he doesn't even know how to drink his own #1 rated beer.

11. RyFikes

RyFikes Savant (280) New York Jan 3, 2013

Is this horse dead yet?

12. Management’s solution to whipping a dead horse: get a bigger whip!;)

Cheers!

13. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

I prefer the can over the glass just because I don't want to see the floaties. I'very had it out of the glass and it's really not that different taste wise.

14. Can for aesthetics, glass for everything else.

15. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

i buy it weekly and I've only seen floaties once in the past year (about six weeks ago), and they were pretty tiny

16. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (270) California Aug 2, 2012

Glass (any) - love smelling as I'm drinking. One of the best aromas (as far as hops) around.

17. Who F*cking cares, just drink it!

18. Negative. Still ISO. I guess I got to up my offer. I thought this was a fair trade but Heady's value is higher than I thought.

19. Glass, although my brother is a straight can guy. Go figure...

20. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

I have had 8 cans of HT and I have drank all 8 from the can. Was it because I was too lazy to get a glass? Maybe. Was it because the back of the can said to drink it from the can? Maybe. Or was it because I really didn't give a fuck and just felt like drinking it however I wanted to and drinking it from the can at the moment seemed like the easiest option. Either way, this is an amazing beer and I don't think I would have enjoyed it any more had I poured it in a glass. Whichever way makes you the happiest is the way you should drink it. God I can't wait to get more of this stuff...

21. Brad007

Brad007 Advocate (620) Vermont Mar 28, 2007

Drinking my last one from the can. I picked it up a few weeks back actually so not that fresh but still good!

22. Frosted mug all the way

23. ndepriest

ndepriest Savant (290) Georgia Feb 21, 2012

I'd venture to say there would be a lot MORE votes for can if this poll was taken anywhere other than BA. It turns out people can (on a rare occasion) just relax and enjoy a beer, often times out of a can.

24. Miamilice

Miamilice Savant (285) Vermont Feb 6, 2011

I dig it both ways. Just sayin'! ;)