1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Heady Topper Clone?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by geneseohawk, Mar 24, 2012.

1. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (540) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

What is your wort temperature at the end of the 30 minutes?

2. Over the summer I ended up around 175-180. I just did this a few nights ago when it was 30 degrees out and I was down at 162 after 30. I have read about some homebrewers that use the burner on low to keep the wort at the right temp. I think it's easier on a commercial scale to keep the batch warm for longer because of the thermal mass or something scientific like that.

3. koopa

koopa Champion (825) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

Actually, your ABV is off because your starting gravity is too low. Heady has an OG closer to 1.071 and the FG is indeed 1.010 for an ABV of 8.0%

4. I posted that earlier too. This was kind of more of me wanting to brew an IPA. As I sat down with one I followed with a Ht. I am not calling it a clone as it wasn't meant to be but is very very similar. I am sure if I web up to that OG my hops would also need to get changed too.

5. Anyone had hop stoopid before? Getting a very similar aroma and taste with that and heady topper. Obviously not the same beer, because of the yeast and more dryhopping on HT, but the underlying taste is there from the hopshot extract. Dry hop of Columbus, Simcoe, and Chinook.

6. a few comments on your comment and on the above recipe.

1. i don't think it has any 60 min additions. i may be wrong. i'd move the 1st addition closer to 30-40 minutes.
    2. whirlpool from flameout until around 170 F, then chill. that's what I'm gonna do when i make this in a month.

7. skivtjerry

Now that you mention it - never thought of this but Stoopid is a little like a stripped down Heady. Most of the same flavors are there but they just don't explode in your mouth like Heady does. And we know both beers use extracts.

theveganbrewer likes this.
  8. skivtjerry

I also don't think there is any 60 minute addition, just some isomerized extract added at some point to balance the bitterness with the malt and hop oils. I think the first addition is closer to 10-15 minutes, or maybe even a huge amount at flameout.

The idea of chilling below 170 and then adding the whirlpool hops is that you can extract the hop oils without much isomerization, i.e. additional flavor without additional bitterness. I was reading a German textbook (Handbook of Brewing) the other day and German brewers have apparently been doing this for 50 years or so... and I thought I was onto something new.

Hey, ALCHEMISTBEER, are you reading this thread?:)

9. Great explanation. If you drink a few-months-old Heady, the similarities are more glaring. I just wonder how much of the difference is recipe and how much is technique. I wonder if you brewed Stoopid with Conan and the whirlpooling and dryhopping quantities we expect from HT, if they'd be really close.

10. i brewed my version of HT on sunday. used Cry Havoc as the yeast (just cuz. and thought the peach character may or may not stand out, which could be fun).

went for more of the citrus/orangy angle and used hops like Amarillo, Simcoe, Nelson Sauvin, etc. 2 oz of centennial to bitter at 15 min.
    everything else was dumped at flame out. think we had 8 oz of hop addition. stirred the hell out of it for 20 min as the temp dropped. once it hit 175 F, the flame went on low. held it there for another 5-10 min, then tossed in the immersion chiller. bang!

smelled damn nice. smooth, perfumy smell.
    dry hopping of amarillo and one other (i forget...left the hops at my friend's house) for 5 and 14 days.

11. Hey guys, I haven't been around here in a while, but I thought I'd come back with my 4.0 recipe and the results, which are very good. I have been working on this recipe for about 9 months now, and I think I might be done, but for a few very minor tweaks on future brews, but nothing revolutionary.

This was the closest I've ever gotten to Heady and I've had 3 people say it tasted just like it. Here's the recipe:

http://www.signpostbrewing.com/heady-topper-clone-brew-4-0/

The hop aroma is spot on. I want just a little more orange flavor, I think I might move a little Amarillo to the 5 min or the flameout. Otherwise, body is fantastic, taste is amazing, etc. I really think the caramalt and fermenting at 68 are super important, it really gives this thing a unique taste.

Thank you to whoever found out about Apollo hops and the turbinado, I think telejunkie was on the Apollo. If not for that, wouldn't be at this point right now. Thanks also to the guys over at my thread on HBT for over 90 pages of discussion on this clone. There were some big breakthroughs over there that really helped pin this recipe down. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/heady-topper-can-you-clone-390082/

The remaining parts of the recipe differ from the BYO clone based on my conversations with John at the Alchemist, I have verified caramalt (17.5 srm), turbinado, hop extract, and most of the hops. Also the OG/FG numbers were verified.​

SatlyMalty likes this.
  12. Thanks for all the hard work Vegan. I've been following that HBT thread for months and the work you guys have done to nail down the recipe is above and beyond. Gonna queue this one up soon.

13. I would love to check the final version, but I'm not going to. v3.0 and the commentary will have to do since I will not share the recipe to find out what it is.

14. Thanks for your support, I appreciate it. I'm sure someone will come in and post the recipe anyway.

15. So you have to be active on social media to see the recipe?

16. Look around the homebrew forum there are two heady threads goin. The other one has it.

TheBungyo likes this.
  17. Boonedog

Boonedog Savant (250) Illinois Apr 10, 2013

16oz of hops!! WOW. a whole pound