1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

Heady Topper in SoCal

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by jamvt, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just saw on Facebook that Beverages 4 Less Liquors in Santee posted they have it. Very curious how it got there, but enjoy! If anyone gets the 411 on how and why, please share.

2. Freddy has a history of illegally selling beers that are not distributed in CA. He probably had somebody on the east coast ship him some so he can charge you something like $15 a can.

Eriktheipaman and StarRaptor like this.
  3. Illegally reselling product at an extremely high price. Bev4Less is fairly notorious for this.

I would love to know the cost. $15 or $20 a can?

4. penniwisdom

penniwisdom Initiate (0) California Sep 10, 2010

SKETCHY!

5. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (640) New York Mar 21, 2010

Any one on West Coast has plenty of ammo to trade for HT. Screw that guy, make a trade with someone to get the HT, share the love of West Coast beer and make a good trading partner.

mborden, Pelican5, ICCULIS and 8 others like this.
  6. There are spots around LA that are selling it too.

7. Xtent

Xtent Savant (270) California Jan 16, 2013

I won't support a shop like that and I love Heady Topper.
    Just finished off my last one a few days ago, time to trade for another case.

davey101 likes this.
  8. I currently have it in my fridge. Does that count?

9. Douchenozzles4Less.

10. Only if you want to sell your cans for $20 each.

11. Xtent

Xtent Savant (270) California Jan 16, 2013

Anyone know what he was selling them for?

12. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (270) California Aug 19, 2011

so lame when places out here sell beers that arent distributed here. disrespectful to the breweries and the consumers

MoistPope and StarRaptor like this.
  13. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Savant (250) Nevada Aug 16, 2010

Just out of curiosity why doesn't anyone ever report Freddie?

14. PG2G

PG2G Savant (470) California Dec 26, 2011

I keep seeing posts like this and I can't help but wonder "Why?" This is probably the only community I have ever seen where people look down on retailers that give consumers the opportunity to buy a product that isn't distributed in their area. Can't imagine why someone would boycott a store, let alone report one for doing it.

15. Please explain why?

Disrespectful?

jmgrub, DJFairhurst and kmatlack like this.
  16. Because they'd rather report people for esoteric violations of growler laws.

Seriously, BA threads and line cutting aside, I think San Diego has more of a "leave it alone" attitude.

17. EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge Advocate (530) California Mar 26, 2011

Care to share?

18. drgonzo2k2

drgonzo2k2 Savant (470) California Aug 24, 2012

Vendome Beverly Hills always had it the last few times I made it in there. They were even bold enough to put it on their Facebook.

19. EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge Advocate (530) California Mar 26, 2011

I hate Beverly Hills.

kojevergas and Wowcoolman like this.
  20. kotayk

kotayk Aficionado (180) California Feb 22, 2011

I honestly dont see what the issue is here. He knows people want it, so he has it.
    You are telling me if anyone on here walked into a store and HT was on the shelf, you would walk away and not buy it - unlikely, you might get priced out and not buy, but lets get real, if it was reasonable you would buy.
    People are obviously buying it for the store to do this.
    Need i remind people that trading is also illegal, shipping beer across state lines with out a license.

21. penniwisdom

penniwisdom Initiate (0) California Sep 10, 2010

Wow. How much they sell it for? Such a blatant breaking of the law.

22. It is not illegal to ship alcohol via a 3rd party shipping party.

BrewerRev, StarRaptor and jrnyc like this.
  23. No1Smitty

No1Smitty Savant (395) California Nov 7, 2011

If you look on top of the can it does have a CA redemption option. I would probably not buy it out here simply not knowing how old it is. One time is all it would take to find out though.

24. kotayk

kotayk Aficionado (180) California Feb 22, 2011

Please elaborate, Im curious

25. It is illegal to send alcohol via the government entity USPS because they would want to tax it.

UPS/Fedex aren't part of the government, so you are pretty much paying someone else to cart your goods around. It is against their terms of service, but it is not against the law.

iparaez likes this.
  26. drgonzo2k2

drgonzo2k2 Savant (470) California Aug 24, 2012

I never bothered to ask actually.

27. I'm pretty sure beer trading is illegal for most people. Trading is basically selling beer without a license.

28. mjl21

mjl21 Advocate (540) California Apr 3, 2008

You're not selling, you're gifting.

29. Wrong.

http://www.winesandvines.com/template.cfm?section=news&content=102427

30. Not talking about businesses bruhski

31. I'm pretty curious on the price. Legality aside Freddy is a d bag and stopped receiving my business long ago.

32. CoolEthan

CoolEthan Savant (430) California Jan 9, 2013

10.99 a can.

33. if California ABC wasn't so chronically understaffed, they would have a field day perusing BA forums...

afrokaze and RaulMatisse like this.
  34. If I hadn't had it before and it wasn't at his shop I would pay that once.

35. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (415) California Mar 13, 2009

Lol 11 dollars. Fuck him.

36. I understand the frustration some have, but it seems more in line of anger towards it not being MSRP, which is seldom the case for even local beers. What is $5.99 in one store can be marked up to $7.99 in another.

Know what you do? You simply do not buy those items that are priced beyond your comfort level. Vendome in Bev Hills typically has all that stuff. I mean, if you want a Bolt Cutter and not want to trade for it, there it is. Sure, you're paying $35 for it. But eh, probably come out paying that in trade beer+shipping. Or at least close to it.

There's a grey market and it's difficult to find a shop that doesn't practice it. Which should tell you something, there's a demand for the product. When did this Alpine Brewing mentality become so accepted that only those who are in the distribution area should be able to enjoy it? And if so, should we shut down the trading on the site?

heatwaves and jmgrub like this.
  37. What are you talking about? None of the shops I frequent participate in this grey market. I stopped going to Bev4Less when I lived in SD after seeing him selling Dreadnaught bottles for an insane price. If somebody wants to pay exorbitant prices to enjoy some beers they can't normally purchase, that's fine.

38. vacax

vacax Advocate (630) California Jun 3, 2008

I don't have a problem with it. More consumer choice is not a problem in my book.

The only thing that annoyed me was when I noticed one place was selling 3 Floyds Dreadnaught that was not at all fresh. Heady Topper is such an aroma-driven beer that is notorious for dropping off after only a week or two... I would be really weary of purchasing such a beer via gray market retailers.

jmgrub likes this.
  39. This is where my largest issue comes in. Often these beers, and the breweries, are being misrepresented to the people who are actually buying them. Most of us posting here are aware of what Heady costs and the aroma/freshness factor involved in creating a highly-regarded beer (and we likely also trade for it). To the customer buying a can for $11 out of market? They're not trading for it like us, and as a result probably don't realize they CAN trade for it or even what it should cost/taste like. They may taste an older product and be completely underwhelmed by the beer and brewery, on top of charging $11. The products sold like this are often NOT indicative of what the brewery hopes to achieve.

40. Selling grey-market beers does create unfair competition with other liquor stores that play by the rules. Customers will skip visiting their local stores to hit up the store that has Heady, and likely buy some other beers while they're there.

MoistPope and JasonFromLA like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.