1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Heady Topper in SoCal

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by jamvt, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yes it is - interstate commerce is regulated by the federal government, and shipping beer across state lines without paying the proper taxes is definitely illegal. It doesn't matter who you ship with.
    jtmartino and JasonFromLA like this.
  2. vacax

vacax Advocate (620) California Jun 3, 2008

True, but you could also say the same thing about beers that are distributed normally. I bought a can of Deviant Dale's a couple months back without checking the date... oops. Normal distribution does not guarantee freshness either.
  3. Besides that, say one store has a better connection with a distributor than the next. I know Ramirez Pico had like, 8 cases of Knuckle Sandwich on the floor. Should we cry foul when businesses conduct their own methods to ensure consumers walk in the door?

Should Amazon be curbed because people are now treating Best Buy as a display floor, seeing the products and going online to purchase it at a much cheaper rate?

As for misrepresentation the beer... eh, again, I've seen the same beer vary within a $5 price difference between stores of stuff like Stone and other locally distributed beers. If someone is plopping down money for a unique product like that, then they'll know what they're buying and would check the dates of the beer if they were concerned about freshness.
  4. True, but at least it does give distribution, or the stores, a chance to fix it. Out of market beer isn't even given that chance.

In regards to KS, that's irrelevant as KS is a locally distributed product and not out of market. If a store was purchasing 8 cases elsewhere and then reselling at their store, it would be a similar situation.

The Amazon/Best Buy comparison is also irrelevant because beer trading is nowhere similar to Amazon/Best Buy. Heady being sampled less than fresh at Bev4Less and then being sold fresh directly from Alchemist? Fresh from a trader? That person can't just click on a website and order Heady. And if the "sample" is old and not a proper representation of the beer, why would they go out of their way to acquire FRESH Heady which is outstanding? An electronic device at Best Buy isn't going to look different than the final product, but an old Heady will most definitely tase different than a fresh Heady.

And people paying money for a product they fully understand? BA isn't the world, and a lot of these people DO NOT post or even know what BA is outside of a scoring system. "Oh, Heady has a high rating? I better buy it!" I would never pay $11 for one can of Heady when I can trade for it $4$ and most of you would do the same. You are NOT the same crowd that's paying $11 for a can.
  5. If I walked up and saw a $10 can of beer and didn't know anything about it, I would either just chuckle and walk away, or investigate what makes this can so much. I will find out that it's an out of market beer. Simple as that.

And you sort of do pay $11 for Heady. Shipping isn't free, last time I checked.

Freshness window aside. I lost count how many times I've seen a dusty bomber of Sculpin or a very very old bottle of Racer 5.
    kojevergas likes this.
  6. kotayk

kotayk Aficionado (180) California Feb 22, 2011

That was point
    U can justify it how ever u want
    It's illegal
    JasonFromLA likes this.
  7. Would everybody be mad and think he is corrupt if he sold Heady at the average $12 a four pack? Still illegal, right?
  8. 395er

395er Aficionado (180) California Apr 29, 2011

Seems like sometimes the brewers themselves object, not on the lost revenue, but because their beer has a good chance of being consumed and judged in less than it's ideal condition. Thereby hurting their most likely well-deserved reputation.
    JasonFromLA likes this.
  9. Right, I believe the biggest objection is the price. But like I said earlier if somebody wants to pay it then that's fine. But if we're talking about Freddie, his selling of out of market beers is the least of his offenses.
  10. This is a hypothetical with no basis in reality. And you forgot about the date / storage condition issue.
  11. vacax

vacax Advocate (620) California Jun 3, 2008

Yeah and I bet you go over 65 mph on the freeway, right?
    KaslD and davey101 like this.
  12. Some states have better things to do. Anyone remember when that bar in NY got busted for selling New Glarus and some other Wisconsin beer because some ass told the police? I just like a level playing field. There is a bar near my work selling Yuengling that the owner proudly says he has shipped in because it is a Steelers bar. Totally illegal. he also sells Pliny for 9 bucks which I think is worse, but some people are in it for the beer, and some people are in it for the cash.
  13. I have posed that question before and was informed that most packaging is universal on the off chance it reaches any of those places. I only saw one report of a recycle place telling a guy they would turn him in to the police for not having "legal" beers.
  14. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Well, a few Boston spots have been known to sell Pliny....
  15. rrryanc

rrryanc Savant (375) California May 19, 2006

The playing field is level though. If a business wants to engage in illegal activities, there are potential consequences that are known ahead of time. If the potential consequences aren't enough of a deterrent, whether because the odds of getting caught are slim (like speeding) or the punishment is trivial and the reward is worth it, then some people are going to break the law. That's their gamble.

I don't think this is an actual moral issue (again, largely like speeding - though you could argue that's worse for society). Selling beers from a different state isn't going to send you to hell (or destroy society, or whatever you believe in).
    KaslD likes this.
  16. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (250) California Aug 19, 2011

PG2G likes this.

17. In L.A. we have the same thing at a bar or two that caters towards folks of the Yuengling area and boast about having it shipped in and offered at the bar. You know what I say? Good for them. If they want a piece of home, they should damn well get it. Sure, it's going to cost them. What's the difference between that and having a Maine lobster flown in? Silly government laws put in place to protect revenue collection.

I'm not going to pay triple the price for the beer, but if someone wants to, we do live in a capitalistic free market system. Perhaps we should act like it some times.
    Hatzilla, kojevergas and KaslD like this.
  18. Why does Bev4Less surprise anyone anymore for doing this??? Really move on. People here will still bitch about him doing this but at the same time will keep shopping there...again...move on.
    cocoapuph and domtronzero like this.
  19. kotayk

kotayk Aficionado (180) California Feb 22, 2011

Of course i do, and its illegal, as is shipping beer, as is selling beer not distributed in your area.

My point is they are all illegal, I'm not taking a moral high ground and saying i dont do any of them, because i do, i speed as well as trade beer. So why are ppls panties in a bunch cuz buddy is selling HT in his store, do those people who are bitching on here not trade beer ? course they do.
    In regards to the freshness issue, buy at your own risk. Bitch at Alchemist to put a freshness date.
    AdamSimpson likes this.
  20. Did it ever occur to you that people might be having fun with it? Get a sense of humor!
  21. or maybe it is just bitching and crying :) Dont know bro #senseofhumorlol
  22. In Sherman Oaks?
  23. After reading through this whole thread, I just want to know where they are pouring Yuengling in and around LA so I can go and have a few. Thanks
    kojevergas likes this.
  24. In principle this is nice, but what you do not realize is that a good number of Freddy's beers are obtained via mulez, and transported at body temperature or higher.
  25. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

Yah and I was super stoked to see Sede Vacante on Freddy's website this morning after narrowly getting shut out on Saturday (it has since been removed - probably only for "online customers only" and at some incredibly offensive markup). Not that I care that much, but I sure love bitching about him.
  26. Did anyone make it for the Ron Jeremy autograph last year?
    [​IMG]

iso
    ehammond1 likes this.
  27. BdubleEdubleRUN likes this.
  28. domtronzero

Nah, not at Freddy's. I just happened to be at Palm Springs Liquor last year when he was there. Gross.
    BdubleEdubleRUN likes this.
  29. Did you get tested after?

[​IMG]
    domtronzero and StarRaptor like this.
  30. AndrewK

AndrewK Savant (345) California Oct 20, 2006

Except that it is not commerce. Did you and your aunt Betty pay interstate commerce taxes on the toaster you sent her for Christmas or the sweater she sent you in exchange?
  31. domtronzero

At first I regretted not shaking his hand. But now I'm thinking that was probably for the better.
    BdubleEdubleRUN likes this.
  32. huadog likes this.
  33. UCLABrewN84 likes this.
  34. MoparGrease

MoparGrease Initiate (0) California Jul 26, 2012

I love you Heady!!!
  35. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (850) Texas Aug 15, 2010

That's a good point. But I'm pretty sure that's exactly why they do it.
  36. I had a dream last night that my fridge was full of Heady Topper. I've never even had this beer.
  37. On a somewhat related note, I'm hyped on the fact that I've got roughly 30 cans of Heady heading my way this week through various trades. Nevermind the cost of shipping, I'd much rather do that than pay $10 for a can. That's ridiculous
  38. I had a dream; I had an awesome dream.
  39. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Can I carry a cooler full of beer across State lines?
    StarRaptor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.