1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Heady Topper in SoCal

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by jamvt, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Best Buy price matches Amazon now, and Amazon collects CA sales tax. I stopped using Amazon for things that are at Best Buy.

2. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Off Topic, but with these new changes, I priced out several items via amazon (brewing hardware included) and it's only a few bucks more for me to go get it locally. I'm not going to sweat a few bucks And I get it today And if something goes wrong I can bring it back to the guy I bought it from.

3. They had Knuckle on the floor? Nice, warm DIPA! My Fav!

4. Besides breaking California ABC rules, I personally see it as being unethical and morally backwards. If a shop doesn't care for rules everyone else plays by, who knows what other laws they break without care for repercussions.

I have the same feeling towards stores who do beer tasting without obtaining the proper license.

pinkgrenade and domtronzero like this.
  5. Not from NH to MA

6. I'm willing to bet that Bootleggers asked them to put that display up.

7. Not sure if that makes it any better. o_O

PeterJ likes this.
  8. I sure hope you don't like to trade beers. I mean, besides breaking federal laws....

Not to mention I hope you don't go over the speed limit. Besides breaking California driving laws, who knows what other criminal activities you would be associated if you were actively speeding on America's highways.

kotayk and MoistPope like this.
  9. I see your point but what my point is that it creates an unfair competitive advantage.

And yes I speed along with everyone else on LA's freeways. :)

10. kotayk

kotayk Aficionado (180) California Feb 22, 2011

Capitalism
    #merica

11. MoistPope meet Capitalism. Capitalism, this is MoistPope.

Unfair competitive advantage? That's business as usual.

kmatlack likes this.
  12. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Savant (410) California Apr 5, 2006

I like all the BA armchair loblaws who think they know everything about beer laws as a reason for/against shopping at Bev4Less....when a rational person goes in that store they should know the reasons to walk out within the first 2 minutes.

Also, any return customers buying a $10 IPA there deserve what they get.

domtronzero and Eriktheipaman like this.
  13. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (260) California Jul 7, 2012

Not into Utah.

14. This is a point that I tried to make earlier, but not nearly as clearly. It bears repeating over and over.

15. Amen to that! Where can I report trader's on this site who want $100 worth of beer for a bottle that cost 25 when it first comes out.
    LoL.
    This sounds like the whole ebay debate again.

16. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

how is this all that different than trading for the beer?

17. JISurfer

JISurfer Champion (950) Hawaii Dec 10, 2002

I've got some 'shine from VA, which is known as some of the best. Wanna trade some West Coast hopiness for it? 8)

18. You can report them. If you feel like it.

Stupid people buy Heady Topper from a person online who sells it out of his shitty store in Santee for who only knows how much.

#fuckthelakers

domtronzero likes this.
  19. Nobody in this thread that has defended that store in Santee has ever been there. They are defending the concept, the principle of it. I think they should be forced to go there and buy Whales, or concede the argument.

domtronzero likes this.
  20. Obsidian

Obsidian Savant (305) California Dec 9, 2012

He has Heady in now. I just did an online order via email. The Heady is $10.99, I would hardly call that price gouging considering he is (apparently) the only guy in SoCal who gets it.

He emailed me a tracking # and called for payment, said it will ship in the morning. I would say it is a very smooth transaction at this point ... will update when I receive the beer.

Shipping & packing is $32 for 6 beers which seems a bit steep, but 1 1/2 hours from Orange County and back in a 370Z would use up about that much gas anyway I suppose.

StarRaptor likes this.
  21. You make me laugh...thanks I needed that. You understand he gets it through others he knows? He then takes it and sells it online illegally. Enjoy :)

domtronzero, Xul and jodan like this.
  22. Obsidian

I'm glad. Yeah he even mentioned this thread when I talked to him ... had some interesting things to say about some of the haters in this thread ... which made me laugh.

Anyway I'm about the beer, don't care much about the haters, drama, and internet politics of it all.

23. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

Poor Freddy just wants to be loved. :(

24. And he's laughing to the bank.

25. Is that why Bevmo is suing him???

26. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Savant (410) California Apr 5, 2006

.....in Santee

27. Plenty of people here who haven't read my earlier comments in this thread I see. That wasn't a positive statement, in any way.

28. Why don't you just trade for it? You can get fresher beer, possibly develop a good trading relationship, and help someone in the Northeast get some West Coast goodness while you get yours as well. A 4-pack of Heady costs in the realm of $12-$15 so yeah I would think your rear end is feeling sore at the moment.

29. bird22

bird22 Savant (415) California Jan 2, 2011

That would be $98 to ship a six pack of Heady. You wouldn't call that price gouging? Wow. I'll stick to trading Pliny for it.

30. It's not only about Internet politics. I've had three different people that I've met in three different places (Hess, Toronado, Green Flash) tell me in the midst of discussing where we got beer to avoid Bev4Less at all costs - and this was information that was volunteered without me asking about the place. Most of the San Diego beer community think this guy is a flim flam man.

BrianTheBrewer30 likes this.
  31. Again...he he just wants to be loved :)

32. Story?

33. Stroso

Stroso Aficionado (115) New Mexico Mar 25, 2006

What's the secret to trading for HT at under $10/can? With everything included my trade came out to $14.5/can, of course we don't really have any heavy hitters to trade, but still. At this point, paying $10/can seems like a steal.

34. The key is to just make great trading partners or find someone who bought alot more then they thought they would need and wanna trade. Recently traded a melange 3 for 9 headys. Well worth it.

35. Obsidian

My order from Fred arrived this morning with no issues whatsoever. We finalized the order Monday at 9:30 PM and received Wednesday at 10:30 AM.

Just to shoot down some of the misinformation in this thread ....

His packaging is solid, two rows of protection between beers and an extra layer of packing. The box is clearly labeled as fragile and containing alcohol.

All my beers with a bottle date are fresh ... the Pliny was bottled 04/17/13 which is about the freshest I have ever gotten it.

Other than the Heady at $10.99, his prices are right in line with my local wine shop, and about a buck more per beer than Total Wine & More.

Whether he is doing something illegal or not is speculation. I have a hard time believing he would post Heady to his Facebook, his website and his email newsletter if there was a chance of him losing his license. It's not like he is doing backroom deals, it's all very upfront.

All I can say is I am very pleased with my transaction. Will definitely buy more rare beer from him in the future. A friend of mine in L.A. also ordered Heady, and should be receiving it today. I will post if he has any problems with his order. Heady is chilling right now, will drink it tonight.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

36. What misinformation are you shooting down?

JasonFromLA and bird22 like this.
  37. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

That's some serious misinformation right there. It is illegal. Just because he's an asshat and flaunts it publicly for all to see doesn't mean it's not. He's not the brightest star in the sky by any means.

Xul likes this.
  38. Sweet summer child.

domtronzero likes this.
  39. LOCAL

LOCAL Savant (315) New Hampshire Oct 29, 2006

11 bucks to try a beer that you might not other wise get to try if you're not into trading seems fair enough to me. Personally, I could care less if its legit or not.

40. jamex

jamex Savant (275) California Feb 13, 2010

Can someone PM me a reputable trader for fresh Heady? Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.