1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Heady Topper vs Abrasive

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by grynder33, Dec 7, 2013.

1. grynder33

grynder33 Savant (370) Wisconsin Jul 31, 2003

Frankly ,I'm getting a little tired of all the geeks posting their multiple 4packs of Heady Topper ,that they sold their youngest child to obtain. Don't get me wrong,its a great beer. But I seriously challenge you to blind taste test Surly Abrasive and Heady Topper. The blind taste test is a beer geeks worst nightmare. Many are terrified of it,rightfully so. Many geeks are so lemur driven,the blind taste test is the ultimate result. I think many would be surprised at the Heady Topper vs Abrasive result. I can tell you my group was stunned at the Dark Lord,Darkness,Expedition,World Wide Stout,Big Eddy RIS blind taste test results. Go ahead,clear your mind of all the hype,depend solely on your taste buds,be honest ,if you dare
    McRyan and ZAP like this.
  2. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Doubtful that you will find much argument in this sub-form about Abrasive > Heady. Or at least, I know you will find many that agree.

And with that said, I think I'll go grab an Abrasive.
  3. Abrasive will always > Topper ;)
    jawzman likes this.
  4. morimech

morimech Advocate (665) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

And I think you would be surprised by the Abrasive vs Lagunitas Sucks blind taste result.
    DemoniChris, McRyan and Ish1 like this.
  5. Curious what the results of the stout tasting were. I'm a big fan of the Big Eddy especially for the price point.
  6. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

Abrasive more Grapefruity. Heady more of the orange color citrus fruit. Anyone who knows them wouldn't be stumped because of blindfolds.
  7. MCImes

MCImes Savant (350) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

Abrasive and Heady are both great, and pretty much equal in my mind.
    Abrasive is over the top grapefruity/piney/hoppy
    Heady is more balanced and resiny, just a totally different hop profile

Basically, do you want a hop bomb, or a more balanced IPA? Either are great. What mood are you in?

I'd take either equally, but since heady trades high and abrasive is plentiful, so Ill take Abrasive while I can get it. But I trade for Heady semi regularly too...so there's that.

(But "Surly for life" since I'm a good Minnesotan, so Abrasive!)
    (also agree with @Msudukie that the 'right' answer is whatever you decide)
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    Msudukie likes this.
  8. Msudukie

Msudukie Savant (325) New York Oct 26, 2013

Sorry, East Coaster jumping in here (originally from Nebraska so maybe it counts). I think the highly regarded DIPAs I have tried (e.g., Abrasive, Heady, Pliny, Double Citra, Permanent Funeral, Double Dose) are all great and also VERY different. I personally have my rank ordering but have really enjoyed them all. Surly seems to get a lot of press and 4-pack posts like the rest of them which just speaks to how good it is. Agree with idea of blind tasting, just don't think there is a right answer or should even be one. Just my two cents. Cheers.
    NeedBeerHere likes this.
  9. Abrasive and it is not even close for me.
  10. NeedBeerHere

NeedBeerHere Initiate (0) Minnesota Nov 21, 2013

If my memory isn't failing me they are just two different beers. Both great. But sorta hard to compare. Personally I would love some Heady in my fridge right now but I'm damn happy that Abrasive is there now. I REALLY love Heady, Abrasive, and Zombie. Those would be my three favorite if I had to pick three at this point. Admittedly it's been a couple years since I've had Heady and haven't had Zombie since I was at 3Floyds in January.
    Msudukie and MCImes like this.
  11. alexsergio

alexsergio Savant (290) New York Mar 7, 2011

They are both f'in awesome brews.
    tgchief and Msudukie like this.
  12. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (925) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Abrasive is wonderful and I have access is to it. Heady is incredible and I don't have access to it. Moral of my story is that I don't need to trade for Heady. But anyone one who hasn't had it, sees that it is the #1 beer on BA, so they want to try it.
    tgchief likes this.
  13. MNPikey

MNPikey Savant (475) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

This.

RyanOooh likes this.
  14. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Savant (325) Minnesota Jun 18, 2008

I love Abrasive, probably my fav beer. But the one time I had Heady i was blown away, like I've never been before. Wave after wave of favorite hit my tongue like nothing I've had before or after. No doubt Abrasive is amazing, but heady was unlike anything I've had before or since. Even Pliney on tap was equal to heady.

Just my opinion.
    psychotia likes this.
  15. MNPikey

MNPikey Savant (475) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

16. mjryan

mjryan Savant (455) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

Abrasive is a heck of a beer, but I have to doff my cap to H Topper. The best DIPAs, in my opinion, are hop bombs without all that sweet malt getting in the way. Also, I'm a big fan of blind tastings. They can certainly be an eye opener.
  17. RyanOooh

RyanOooh Savant (310) Vermont Nov 25, 2013

Come on over to VT and bring your brew! compare to Double Sunshine and some of Hill farmstead's dipas too, mighty fine taste test. Don't care who wins...all these fucking dipas rock. I'm sure if I lived 8 mins from surly, I'd be way into it.
    Don't forget your cases/cans!
    Cheers fellas
    McRyan, gatornation, Msudukie and 2 others like this.
  18. NeedBeerHere

Funny this is making news here. Maybe it's not a good thing. Don't want to bring too much attention to shipping beers. I saw another thread about this in another section this morning. Pretty interesting the lady was a lawyer that got busted. There was another thread about this earlier today in a different section but I can't find it to post the local links or even link to the thread.
  19. NeedBeerHere

That sounds like one fun taste test. Never had any HF. They seem to trade so highly.
    RyanOooh likes this.
  20. NeedBeerHere

Sounds like I may be heading to a wedding in California in March. I'll have to hit up the shops for some great beers. Ironically I really didn't care for Pliny (one of the other highly rated) but I would love to give it another try. There are tons of great beers that fit the category and it's pretty hard to compare them. They're all great in their own way. Everybody has different taste. I wouldn't trade for Pliny again but given it would be so easy to find I would like to give her another shot. With that said, there are so many great beers in California. I'm sure I'll be on the road half the time going to stores and more importantly breweries.
    RyanOooh likes this.
  21. RyanOooh

RyanOooh Savant (310) Vermont Nov 25, 2013

HF porters are nuts good. Their IPAs are crisp, simple. Getting their beer is time consuming, but I guess that's part of the allure to some.
    Of course Lawson's is really incredible. A real shame more ppl can't taste it, but man when you do? So pleasing.
    It's all in the water, right?
    Msudukie and NeedBeerHere like this.
  22. NeedBeerHere

I'm interested in the results of your taste test. They seem like quite different stouts although I've never had Big Eddy. When I had World Wide Stout it was a drain pour. Such a high ABV without much that I liked. Just my opinion. I know tons think different. I haven't had it for years so I might think tons differently now (I was REALLY into Belgians at the time). What were your results?
  23. NeedBeerHere

I'm sure one day I'll trade for them. They just seem to take more ammo than most of my beers that I would trade. It's hard to miss what you don't know.
  24. jawzman

jawzman Aficionado (210) Minnesota Mar 20, 2010

I hate these threads, but since I've gone side-by-side the last two years with HT vs. Abrasive, I'll chime in... Personally, I think it's Lamborghini vs. Ferrari - personal preference will dictate the winner. Though as I mature as a beer drinker, I find myself loving the dryness of HT. And all Ipa's... I like dry Ipa's. Not saying HT is better, but I like it more.

BTW, it amazes me how often the debate doesn't include dryness. It's a huge part in the flavor and overall appeal in many beers, and seems totally disregarded or unappreciated when I waste the time reading threads about who likes X beer over Y beer.
    Ungertaker likes this.
  25. NeedBeerHere

Yah as many times as I commented in it they are pretty pointless. Everybody has their own tastes. Drink what you like and do I with a smile.
  26. I guarantee I could differentiate between the two in a blind test....I can also tell you what it taste like when you mix the two together.

Oh, and Fwiw ...Abraisive all day.
  27. NeedBeerHere

Even though these threads are pretty dumb, it would be better if it were in a place where people who can heady easier than abrasive can see it and comment as well too. To be honest I just wanna find somebody who wants to trade fresh heady but I can't post on the trades forum yet. Got out of beer for a while and forgot my username and password.
  28. ZAP

ZAP Advocate (700) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

Never had Heady Topper so I can not weight in although I think Abrasive is fantastic......I do love your thoughts on blind tasters.....I do them all the time and am surprised a lot.....then when I post results I get a lot of comments either concerned with dates, or palate fatigue or whatever reason why so and so fared so poorly....some of that is legit but I wish more people would actually do that to see what they enjoy...
  29. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Advocate (505) Minnesota Feb 23, 2013

Why is everyone assuming that Big Eddy came out on top? I think the OP may be hinting that Darkness didn't fare very well. I would believe that. Darkness, while alright, is pretty fuckin overrated.
  30. MRC711

MRC711 Aficionado (155) Minnesota Oct 22, 2007

Just did the taste test. My results: Abrasive a little too one dimensional (hoppy). HT is more complex. Love them both and they both kick ass on Pliny which is good but over rated. (Oh no. blasphemy!)
  31. NeedBeerHere

I didn't get the idea that Big Eddy was a big favorite. I haven't even tried it although I probably should quit ignoring it and try it. Have to agree. Darkness is pretty overrated. At the IRS tap takeover at Senior Wongs, I thought Darkness was pretty bland but it was up against some big beers including BCBS.
  32. NeedBeerHere

Interesting to hear your results. Really Abrasive is supposed to be a hop bomb. I haven't had HT for at least a couple years so I am asking a serious question. HT just isn't a hop bomb and is less hoppy?! Thats my recollection. Just apples and oranges. But I really want to get my hands on some HT soon.
  33. MRC711

I will guess that Expo stout won the blind taste test. It may be one of the most underated beers of all time.
  34. NeedBeerHere

For some reason it's not my thing. I've read lately that it needs a year on it though. Do you find that to be the case? I would have guessed Dark Lord but that line up isn't all that great and there are tons of stouts as good or the same (some on the shelf and cheaper). I hadn't had Darklord until a week ago when I popped my 2009 with the my liquor store buds. I thought it was pretty tasty but once again everything is so subjective.
  35. MRC711

I don't even like it fresh. After 6 months it becomes great. After a year or two it becomes awesome! Seriously, age this.
    will1256 and NeedBeerHere like this.
  36. NeedBeerHere

With that in mind I might go pick up a couple 6ers (they are in 6ers I think). The local store has a some down the street. Sounds like an experiment. I'm sure it will turn out well.
  37. MRC711

Guaranteed. Go to craftbeertemple.com and check out the vertical of expo stout. You will thank me.
  38. NeedBeerHere

Yah I have spent most/WAY more than my beer budget this month in the last week. I think I dropped a grand or more. I'll just need to age them. I know I don't like them fresh so I will have no problem aging them. Next month I need to spend WAY, WAY less on beer. I need another fridge. I can maybe fit a few more 6 packs in if I put them on their side.

Here's to hoping the beers I bought on the Chicago craigslist get here without freezing/breaking the bottle. Never had it happen in over 50 trades but it's too damn cold to be shipping beer this week and next week. Hoping the short ride doesn't break my confidence in shipping in cold weather. Hoping that the high ABV in BCBS does the trick.

I'm going to remember that web address though. Thanks!!!
  39. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

I know that it is only 1% difference between Heady and Abrasive, but it feels like a lot more than that. I always thought that the Heady v Pliny discussions made a little more sense, but Abrasive versus either of them doesn't seem to make as much sense, just because Abrasive comes off a lot boozier. I love Abrasive, but I never bothered to look at the ABV before and I actually had been assuming that this was more in the 10% range. Similarly, for as many Pliny's as I have had in my life, I always thought that this was a 5.2 or 7.5% beer. I also didn't get the feeling when drinking Heady, that it was an 8% beer. So while I think that all of these beers are great, I think that if you start to compare Abrasive against Heady or Pliny, then you may get people starting to look at how each beer hides the alcohol or how "drinkable" each is and that is where I think that Abrasive would get dinged, where the other two would not.

But then again, with the ABV explosion that has taken place side by side with the most recent craft beer boom, maybe people don't even care about those things anymore. But for somebody like me, those are things that I would consider.
  40. NeedBeerHere

I'm looking forward to having an Abrasive, a Heady, and a Zombie dust side by side. No doubt they are different beers that would be easy to tell apart and they are all top notch (just don't see Pliny competing with any of them) but I would like to see what I like the best. Nobody has mentioned Zombie much here except me but it's just such a good beer. Looking forward to doing comparison soon. It's been a while since I traded. Abrasive should trade 1:1 for either Heady or Zombie like it used to shouldn't it?