1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Heady Topper vs Proprietor's trade value

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by nucmedmario, Mar 10, 2014.

1. nucmedmario

nucmedmario Savant (330) Illinois Sep 1, 2010

I was wondering what you all thought would be a fair trade between these two. How many cans of Heady would I be able to get from trading a Proprietor's? And would there be a difference of value with actually shipping and IP?

2. jaltland

jaltland Savant (425) Pennsylvania Aug 13, 2009

I'm interested in seeing what people think.

3. Heady is roughly $15/4-pack. However, they somewhat shelf beer for those in VT. Personally, I traded $30-$35 worth of limited beers (Bourbonic Plague, Chocolate Rain, BASS) for my Props in the past even though Prop costs less than that. That puts you at about 8-10 cans of Heady. Rarity/demand of Prop should essentially offsets shipping cost difference, although it would be nice for you to throw a couple of small locals into the trade.

Of course, you can ask for more that what I suggested and may get bites from someone who is desperate, but I feel what I have up there is relatively fair and a good way to build relationship with a new trade partner.

Personally though, I wouldn't trade Prop for Heady. You have access to great stuff out there that will definitely land you Heady.

Good luck!

4. If you REALLY want Heady Topper 1/2 a case is fair. Roughly $40 retail and shipping it would run $15-20 depending on where you ship to.

I would consider that trade all day long.

5. OP, trade with this guy!

6. How many Heady you want, make me an offer? I just picked up some and am looking for trades.

7. fishmich

fishmich Savant (490) Michigan Apr 11, 2013

why would you want to trade your prop for heady? i feel like you could just go to the store and buy beer to trade for heady.

8. fishmich

by the way im just curious. not a big stout fan maybe? prop is really good and youll likely never see bottles of it again whereas heady is always being made. and living in illinois id think you have access to IPAs on the same level as heady. again im just curious and wish i had some heady to trade, lol.

jrnyc likes this.
  9. not like you used to be able to do.

I agree with the general sentiment that perhaps Heady is overated compared to great local IPA's, but look at what people are offering to trade to get Heady and you'll see why basic shelf stuff is unlikely to get done. Heady these trades for limited shelf beer or brewery only stuff all the time

10. IPAIsaac

IPAIsaac Savant (495) Florida Jun 22, 2013

In regards to Alchemist.. I was offered a MINIMUM of 14-16 of FB and Cow, which wasn't worth it to me.

11. Abbbp

Abbbp Savant (465) Texas Mar 9, 2013

Maybe you've already traded away and that's why you haven't commented, but if the going rate is 12 cans, I'd ask for a Alchemist Variety Pack. Maybe 8 heady (so you can trade and/or share with friends), 2 FB, 2 HC...

Lehighace06 likes this.
  12. I just traded Darkness for 6 Heady, which is basically $4$. Given that a Prop would take me at least 2 Darkness, I would say that someone around 12 is a starting point. As to why you would do this trade, maybe OP wants 12 great pounders instead of 1 unique bomber? I go back and forth but that's often my rationale.

13. nucmedmario

Actually was able to work out a trade IP this past weekend. Traded a Parabola and some KBS for 8 cans plus some extras. My original plan was trading away the Prop for 12 cans of HT. I messaged some people, but nobody had a good amount of HT. I figured I have 3 bottles of Prop left and could easily spare one. It worked out in the end, cleaned out the cellar a little bit and now I have some HT to give out to people at DLD, which was my plan from the beginning.

nc41, Abbbp, jrnyc and 1 other person like this.
  14. Abbbp

See man, that's awesome, I like it. Saying you have 3 left will def get you some random messages, drink that shit bro or trade it away (I'm ISO :D) coconut fades.

15. nucmedmario

Already got some, haha. Taking one or two to DLD along with the HT.

16. Abbbp

Man, I need to make it up to DLD just for the bottle shares and meeting BA's. Good work again my man- that's how ya build good beer karma!

nucmedmario likes this.
  17. I would never trade a beer that Goose Island is never going to make again especially for a beer that is easy to trade for.

18. nucmedmario

You don't have my cellar.

SchuStar likes this.
  19. I was in Chicago on black Friday and still have plenty of
    Prop. Big deal

20. I always get Heady for shelf beer. I wouldn't bother trading harder to get bottles for Heady. Somebody will almost always want to trade with you if you have access to a limited (regionally) beer that people on the board seem to like. I've always traded Surly and never had problems. I assume I could get PsuedoSue and it would be an easy trade. I could easily get growlers of Masala Mama from Town Hall that would be an easy trade. Just look for something that is easier to get but pretty highly rated shelf beer that isn't widely distributed to trade for Heady.

21. Agreed... You could trade Prop for something harder to get than Heady. Use your bigger bottles to trade for other bigger bottles.

22. nucmedmario

Totally agree that I can get bigger beers for Prop, but like I said I was trying to get a good amount to give out. A 4pk of Heady for a 6pk of Zombie Dust would be a fair trade in my opinion. If were to do that then I'd have to ship 18-24 bottles of ZD to get what I was looking for. Shipping a bottle of Prop would be a lot easier than shipping a case of ZD.

23. fishmich

understandable, and its certainly cool that you will be sharing the wealth.

24. nucmedmario

Imaging living in a city where everyday is Black Friday. I'm spoiled. But like I was saying, I have a cellar that I'm happy with and honestly have way too much stuff. Giving up a Prop wouldn't make a dent in it and if giving up one bottle in order to pass out multiple cans of a beer that not a lot of people have tried would make it all worth it.

TheBeerDrinker likes this.
  25. Yah I've learned it can be a pain in the ass and costly to send a case of bottles across the country. I guess that factors in. Shipping cans is way easier.

nucmedmario likes this.
  26. Fair enough OP not everyone has tried Heady.

27. markgugs

markgugs Champion (980) New Jersey Dec 20, 2006

I'll be happy to take some of that Prop off your hands, since you have so much of it.