1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Heady Topper: Worth the Hype?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by willbm3, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

So I'm planning a trip up to Waterbury next week to purchase some Heady and I was just curious if it is worth all the hype it gets. It's about 400 miles round trip so it's a bit of a commitment. Also, I encourage anyone who has been to share any tips.

Stay strong and beer on.
  2. ColdPoncho

ColdPoncho Savant (455) Ohio Jan 9, 2009

It's very good. Hyped beer is hyped for a reason.
    BeerLover99, BigBarley and yamar68 like this.
  3. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

For me it stands head and shoulders above any other IIPA I have tried.
  4. very good beer. believe the hype! and i do have a big tip for you. they dont always have beer on hand. you have to go there when they can which i think is mondays and fridays. not 100% sure of that, so i would call them or find out somehow before making the 400 mile trip. cheers!
    oh and its a 3 case limit per person
  5. gibby

gibby Aficionado (220) Pennsylvania Jul 25, 2008

I have never been but I hope to some day soon. Heady is a fantastic DIPA and worth the hype in my opinion.
  6. pjs234

pjs234 Advocate (670) Connecticut Jun 29, 2008

Yes. I have had a few beers that were killed by the hype, where i was actually disappointed when I finally got to try it. This was far from the case for Heady. Heady exceeded the hype for me. The best 2x IPA I've ever had.

The first time I tried it, I was staying in Ludlow for Thanksgiving and my father-in-law (not a beer geek) and I drove the 88 miles each way to buy a few cases. He actually really enjoyed it... which was surprising as his favorite beer is Michelob Ultra. I would highly recommend making the journey.
    Neorebel likes this.
  7. Make sure you arent planning the trip for a weekend since it could sell out by then.
  8. Id say no, but then Id be subjecting myself to all kinds of ostracization within the beer community.
    st9647v3, Savage1005 and x37x like this.
  9. Yes, I believe Wednesday is the day to go.
  10. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Yes, it is very good, if you like DIPAs, of course. Make sure you buy as many cases as you can to really make the trip worthwhile.
  11. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

It's good. Worth the hype? Hell no. Of all the hyped IPA's out there, it is the least deserving.
    MrDave, Hermthegerm, st9647v3 and 7 others like this.
  12. CMB2012

CMB2012 Aficionado (245) Illinois Nov 26, 2008

13. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

They can on Mondays and Thursdays.
    dannyz likes this.
  14. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (850) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Definitely the best beer in its style in my book. Would I drive 400 miles to buy a couple cases of it?

Yes. Yes hell I would.
  15. Yes but you must go on a thursday. I got there Thursday night and they had plenty of cases, but the lady said they'd be sold out by Friday morning.
  16. At $3 a pint in the can it is ABSOUTELY worth it...
    devlishdamsel likes this.
  17. Not only yes but
    HELL YES !!!
    bastu, devlishdamsel and fmccormi like this.
  18. Heady Topper? Drive 400 miles for it? Are you kidding? No Brainer!

Yes, it's that good! Just be sure you are arriving on the day they are canning. It's a sell out and when in the parking lot, take note of all the out of state license plates! Enjoy!!
    Neorebel, Polasiuss and devlishdamsel like this.
  19. no, it's not worth a 400 mile drive.
  20. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Nope. Trade instead. Its good, but not 400 miles good.
    MrDave, dar482 and HipsterBrewfus like this.
  21. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

I think it's a great beer. But I wouldn't drive 400 miles just to get that beer. That's what trading is for.
  22. Yes, so is Stowe. Don't rush back home- stay a few days and hit the slopes!
  23. CHickman

CHickman Savant (435) New York Jan 7, 2009

Worth the trip, and drinking it up in VT fresh will make it that much better. I've had Heady Topper on several occasions and it has always been fantastic. Arguably the best beer I've ever had and if you have the time for that type of road-trip then go for it and enjoy that great area. Make a stop at the Three Penny Taproom and also try to get your hands on some Lawson's Finest Liquids beer. And crank up the Phish while driving.
    BlackBelt5112203 likes this.
  24. ben and jerry's is also right next door. literally.
  25. the best damn beer out of a can!
  26. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

If you're saying that every beer is hyped because of quality you couldn't be further from the truth. However, in this case it's applicable. Heady Topper is among the top tier of DIPA's.
  27. ColdPoncho

ColdPoncho Savant (455) Ohio Jan 9, 2009

I think in general, hyped beers are hyped because a group of people thinks they are very good. In some cases it may be strategic, but I think it is rare for beers with a lot of hype to live up to the hype. It's probably best to acknowledge that hype probably indicates a quality beer, but not necessarily something earth-shatteringly phenomenal.
  28. ediaz

ediaz Savant (315) Florida Nov 23, 2011

29. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (625) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Not even close, it's worth WAY more!
  30. It's a solid beer.
  31. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (390) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

Yes...again
  32. sounds like you answered your own question when you you decided to drive 400 miles for it. Yes, its an amazing beer.
    AngusOg and luwak like this.
  33. You must go to the prohibition pig. must.
  34. I've only had it a few times, but I can honestly say that it doesn't change my stance that there isn't a beer I'd drive 6 hours in a car for.
    HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  35. josephwa

josephwa Advocate (560) Minnesota Jun 4, 2012

<- For sure. What he said.
  36. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Don't forget to go to Hill Farmstead!!! If you enjoy your Heady, HF will leave you speechless.
  37. Was thinking/suggest the same. Supposedly an hour drive between the 2 breweries (according the google). Might as well hit both and have the peace of mind regarding worthiness.
    Gosox8787 likes this.
  38. jmmy3

jmmy3 Savant (335) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2010

Do yourself a favor and get there on a Thursday to grab Headys before they sell out, then stay overnight and hit up HF and grab some Lawsons while you're there. Pretty sure those are released on Fridays but they're likely to run through their good stuff by the end of the day.
    Gosox8787 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.