1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Heady Topper: Worth the Hype?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by willbm3, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Excellent, excellent beer. Looking forward to stupid winter ending so I can once again get that hoppy, cloudy goodness waiting for me on my doorstep.

2. damn i'm only 5 short hours from these fine breweries, MUST GO.

3. Brad007

Brad007 Advocate (620) Vermont Mar 28, 2007

Go for it.

Buy it from the brewery directly. You'll support them, unlike those yokels with Jersey plates that were buying up case after case of it yesterday. I swear, they had TWO shopping carts worth of HT and they bought it at Bev Warehouse in Winooski.

That really pisses me off but that's a thread for another day.

4. Yes. Heady Topper, although maybe not THE "Best" DIPA on the continent, is without question one of them. The nose alone on a fresh can of Heady would be enough to get me to drive the 400 miles for it. With that being said, I feel like Heady falls off rather quickly in comparision with other DIPAS. But for all intents and purposes, even month old Heady is better than the freshest DIPA most other states produce, (Note that I said MOST states).

Enjoy brother.

5. jb123

jb123 Advocate (500) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

I've got to taste one. Amazing. Yeah buy alot to make it worth the drive!

6. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

3 cases....what do you mean by cases? 12's or 24's?

7. YES. Its the one that converted me into an IPA drinker, and it still stands as the single best DIPA I've had.

8. willbm3

I very much want to do all of them, but unfortunately this trip is likely a smash and grab day trip. I'm coming from Boston so I may be able to hit Lawson's on the way home, but HF is unlikely. I'm probably doing an extended trip sometime in the spring and do them all (as well as head to Montreal), but that's down the road...

9. willbm3

That will be how I convince the missus to go up there

10. jmmy3

jmmy3 Savant (345) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2010

Give a look through some of the liquor stores there and see if they have any stragglers then. I'm from boston as well, went up on a weekend and was able to grab a few Lawsons but HF was nowhere to be found. Hunger Mountain Co-op is right up the street from Alch, thats where they recommended I go, and their selection is really great. Good luck to you sir.

11. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (790) Florida Feb 1, 2012

12. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (470) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

You bet your sweet ass it is.

13. Heady Topper is well worth whatever effort it takes to obtain it. It is world-class.

14. Demer

Demer Aficionado (245) New Jersey Dec 13, 2010

Absolutely

15. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Hey, there some misinformation floating around in this forum about canning days. The Alchemist cans Heady on Mondays and Thursdays, and almost always sells out by the next day. Your best bet is to be there on a Monday of Thursday. Cheers & enjoy the beer, it's worth the hype and then some.

16. No diggity. No doubt.

17. mikeyv35

mikeyv35 Savant (395) New York Oct 15, 2008

Fresh Ben & Jerry's Phish Food + Heady Topper fresh hop dankness = 400 mile voyage.

18. This is hard to answer. I love Heady Topper. Love love love it! I love the beer and the fact that the world's highest rated beer is also canned!!! With that said, there are many, many other unfiltered monster DIPA's out there that people can actually buy. Double Dorado, Artic Panzer Wolf, Alchemy Hour, Lake Erie Monster, 90 Minute, Hop Wallop, etc, etc. If you like the style, you will love Heady, but others wll get you there just as well if you look hard enough!

19. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

well if you like beer...then YES...otherwise whatever....

20. HattedClassic

HattedClassic Savant (475) Virginia Nov 23, 2009

It is unless you can trade for it.

21. Make sure to check out the Alchemist's website; they'll tell you where you can find Heady outside the brewery too. Good luck.

22. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (655) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

It's the best DIPA that I have ever had. I have traded away a large portion of my cellar for lots of cans of HT.

23. How did "Bev Warehouse" get their Heady Topper? I imagine it was a legal wholesale purchase and IIRC, the Alchemist self-distributes in Vermont. Perhaps people buying HT there annoyed you, but probably didn't bother either the local Vermont retailer or the brewery. If the Alchemist doesn't consider retail purchases "supporting them" why do they sell their beer to those limited number of retailers?

They even put a list of them on their website - http://www.alchemistbeer.com/retail-availability/ complete with a link to Winooski Beverage Warehouse with the preface:

"We are delighted to share with you the following list of local establishments where you can buy Heady Topper."

They don't sound very "pissed off".

(Oh, by the way, that wasn't me up there :eek: , though I'm from NJ and wear overalls. I wouldn't have thought any Vermonter would recognize a NJ "yokel" (Definition: "A person living in a rural area; rustic; country bumpkin") - the few we have are often referred to as "pineys").

Errto, guzzle211 and youbrewidrink like this.
  24. cases as in 24 beers in a case. comes out to $77 and change inCASE you were wondering. cheers!

25. sirsteve42

sirsteve42 Advocate (570) New York Jan 15, 2009

Every 3 months i drive from Long island to Waterbury(818 miles roundtrip) to stock up on Heady topper then hit up Hill Farmstead on stock up on some stuff and last but not least make it to one of the Farmers markets to buy some of Lawsons finest....remember you can purchase some of these beers at hunger mountain coop in Montpelier and right down the block is three penny taproom. Great skiing up that way and great restaurants. I love making a small vacation out of it as there are many other places to go to as well. You like mexican? well if you are in waitsfield or warren(20 min from waterbury)you have one of the mad taco joints with 5 locals on tap along with some great food. Good luck to all on travels up that way and after my last trip im down to only a case of Heady! Yes its worth the trip

26. The beer is incredible...you'll wanna live in the can once you open it. As for a 400 mile drive...that's a personal decision! While you are in the area and if you have time go to the Prohibition Pig! It's a BBQ joint with loads of incredible beer on tap (Lawson's, HF, Heady, a great whiskey selection, etc). Double check, but I am pretty sure it doesn't open until 4:00. Don't miss it!

http://www.prohibitionpig.com/

27. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

It's a great beer but I'm sure there are cheaper ways for you to get it than spending the gas/tolls/time to get there. Unless you had something else to do while up there I wouldn't be able to justify the money spent to get there and spend $80 on a case of beer. But hey, to each their own.

28. dunix

dunix Savant (460) Vermont Jan 26, 2011

No it isn't. Don't buy it anymore.

youbrewidrink likes this.
  29. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (570) California Oct 29, 2008

You may as well do it since you've never had it, if for no other reason than the mems. Lots of people really love it. I happen to prefer a handful of DIPAs that can be found pretty easily here in the Philly area.

Edit: Personally, I'd drive right past them and go to somewhere that has Lawson's or Hill Farmstead.

30. Hype? Yes....

Make sure you get more than you think you need or are planning to get..it will not disappoint

31. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

I have had this beer on multiple occasions, and still cannot figure out what the hype is. It is solid, but by no means would I ever think of driving that far to get some. If you are that close, though, perhaps you can find someone that could just ship you some.

32. waddellc2

waddellc2 Savant (410) Pennsylvania Aug 23, 2012

Hell yea it is worth it. Make it over to Hill Farmstead to while your in the vicinty

33. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

Yes and no. . . . . .
    I recently got a couple of cans of HT through a trade (in person to person) with Citra. I thought it was very good. As good as PtE? Equally as good. One of the best? Maybe. To trade via postal I dont think so. Not worth the hassle of shipping. IMO.

34. I'd rather drink a Ghandi Bot.

slangtruth likes this.
  35. pschnei3

pschnei3 Disciple (65) Ohio Nov 27, 2012

wish i could get it here in ohio

36. Try to go on a Thursday and stop at the Warren store because the Lawsons shipments come in the afternoon. I go up every 2 weeks or so and like to stop at the Blackback pub in Waterbury for many Hill Farmstead on tap and delicious "Mad Taco" food. The nice thing about Alchemist is that its 2 minutes off the highway and downtown Waterbury is 4 minutes from the brewery. Prohibition Pig has a good taplist(including heady on tap) but hit or miss expensive food. Resivoir Taproom has mediocre food and another great tap listing. All three of the pubs are on the same block and you have to at least visit Blackback. On the way up or back be sure to hit Three Penny Taproom in Montpielier, a other amazing tap list. Be absolutely sure to stop at "The Worthy Burger" in South Roylaton off of exit 2 on Rt 89 in VT. They have the best burgers and usually 5-6 HF and 1-2 Lawsons on tap w many other great beer choices. Have a great trip! If you really grow a set, be sure to take the extra time and drive to Hill Farmstead.

37. TallSaint

TallSaint Savant (335) New York Dec 10, 2010

I agree with SFACRKnight. I had PtE before Heady and was under-impressed, it was an awesome beer but it didn't live up to the hype (in my mind). Heady on the other hand far exceeded my expectations.

38. Heady is one of the best beers I have ever had. And that is coming from a low abv searching, session beer drinking, lager loving beer geek.

39. No beer is worth 400 miles just to get the beer. If you plan on making a weekend of it, visiting HF, etc, etc - then yes, absolutely - it is wonderful up there. But just to drive up, grab Heady, and come back is kind of ridiculous IMO.

Also, as others have noted, don't do this on a weekend (or even a Friday) - I can't think of a greater disappointment than driving all that way just for Heady only to get shut out.

40. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (395) New York Aug 21, 2012

Buy at least two cases of HT to make it worth it. If anything, you'll have excellent trading beers. Save the trip to Hill Farmstead for Memorial Day weekend if you can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.