1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Heady Topper: Worth the Hype?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by willbm3, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was there yesterday and Heady is now being canned Monday and WEDNESDAYS.

2. It's a great beer. Whether it's worth the hype is only something you will be able to answer though.

3. God I hate the way the word hype is thrown around these forums. Just because many people like something does not mean that it's hyped!!

Azrael, joeebbs and BigBarley like this.
  4. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Hell yes it's worth it.

5. Get there on a Monday at 11am when they open. You can get a sample on draft and buy some that was canned that morning. I drove the 400 mile roundtrip and it wasnt too bad. In my opinion it was worth it.

6. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

As much as I adore Heady, I would never drive 400 miles to get it. I guess if you make a little vacation out of it and visit HF and some other attractions there you could justify it.

YogiBeer and youbrewidrink like this.
  7. nc41

That's about how far out of my way I went to go to Waterbury, stayed the night then drove to see my son in Watertown NY. Waterbury is a great place to visit, nest time i go I'll time it to hit HF and Lawsons. Lawsons is open on Wed to distribute, HT cans on Thurs, and HF distributes on Thurs and fri.

8. dougfur

dougfur Savant (320) New York Jan 24, 2011

The only negative thing I can say about HT is that the mouthfeel is a bit sticky for my tastes. That said, it's a completely remarkable beer in several ways:
    First, how the hell do you get that much hop flavor and aroma to stay in a beer. It amazes me every time I try it. It's an incredible feat of brewing!
    Second, how can you do the above mentioned feat without much in the way of bitterness?
    Third, how cool is it that the #1 rated beer on the list is probably one of the least expensive on the list?! At 12 dollars per 4 pack (16 oz cans) it's no more expensive than your average DIPA. It is HALF the cost of Pliny. Pretty cool!
    Definitely do a little calling before hand, but I think you'll feel it was worth it.

9. Lawson's is NEVER open. Usually delivers to The Warren Store on Thursdays.

iwantmorehops likes this.
  10. I have pliny on tap at lots of bars in my area and have had pliny the younger and will have it again next week
    but honestly i like heady topper better it is such a balanced drinkable hop forward and great tasting brew i just cant get enough and yes it is worth the drive for sure have a great time enjoy
    cheers

11. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

Certainly all of the attention and good reviews warrant a look see. Worth it? Only you can decide.

12. 400 miles= 10 gallons of gas
    8 hours of driving time= l day of work
    drinking heady topper= PRICELESS

RWNay and omniscientcause like this.
  13. HT is an awesome beer. Upper echelon of hoppy beers for sure. It's not my favorite hop-forward beer, but it's absolutely worth a try (or 10).

14. This is one of THE dumbest questions ever posed on these boards.

joeebbs likes this.
  15. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

I think not. Depends on if you like double IPAs at all of course, and then if you like extremely aroma-forward double IPAs on top of that, and then if you like extremely unbalanced and unstable aroma-forward double IPAs on top of that.

400 mile round trip? I wouldn't even consider it.

HipsterBrewfus and Holmes698 like this.
  16. Thursday is the day to go. Heady Topper is a fantastic beer, but I don't think there's a beer on planet earth that I'd drive 400 miles to get.

17. No. I would get some if you never had it, but I would say go to Lawson's or Hill Farmstead if you had to pick breweries in that area.

18. nc41

Right you are, I went in on a Mon and left on tues.

19. I would laugh SO hard if he gets it, has some, and doesn't like it.

AmitC and joeebbs like this.
  20. Its a phenomenal dipa, but there's lots of dipa's out there that have been following in Russian River's footsteps when they basically created this style of beer, that makes it tough to justify long trips for dipa's imho:

There's a reasonable substitute in every region pretty much: Alpine, Le Cumbre, FFF, Heady, HF, HUB, Bell's, Founders, Pizza Port, Lawsons, Lagunitas, Societe, Kern, Stone, Surly, Drake's etc. . .

21. Def have to go to Hill Farmstead as well if your going to go so far, Its only about an additional 45 mins depending on your route-

22. A great IPA..... for being an east coast brew ;)

23. Heady is just so unique. Given a choice, I prefer many of the HF DIPAs to Heady (yes, many...HF is that great). But, Heady is really in a class by itself. While the HF DIPAs are really incredible examples of DIPAs you know and love, Heady is something different. I can't describe it, I think it's the wave after wave of hoppy goodness they always talk about.

Or, the floaties. I love the floaties.

If you're driving 400 miles, COME ON THURSDAY. Go to pick up Heady, then go to Hill Farmstead. (HF only open Wed-Sat from 12-5).

Bring bags and bags and bags of cash.

dar482 likes this.
  24. Making a similar trip. More like 200 miles for me. Just make a day of it and hang out in Montpelier, it's pretty cool there.

25. nc41

The only other DIPA in HT's league is Surly Abrasive, these two are heads and shoulders better than anything else on the market. Just my opinion of course.

Icarus likes this.
  26. Abio

Abio Aficionado (120) Belgium Apr 26, 2010

Lovely beer for sure.

27. Heady is definitely worth the hype!!! Best DIPA out there in my opinion.

28. Like the vast majority is saying, YES it is worth it. I drive ~350 miles every few months to grab some. Make sure you go on either a Monday or a Thursday though if you want to be guaranteed some. While you're there, check out Prohibition Pig, Three Penny Taproom, grab some Lawson's Finest and some Hill Farmstead if you can. The Burlington/Montpelier area is home to some of the best beer in the country. ​

29. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (550) California Oct 29, 2008

That could be interpreted in a few different ways.

30. Some will say yes, some will say no, but few will tell you it isn't a great beer. I've only had it once as I don't have access here in Florida, but I really enjoyed it. Didn't change my life or make me reconsider what beer could be, but it was very tasty. Pick some up for sure.

31. Jagen

Jagen Aficionado (135) Illinois Oct 1, 2012

It is a fantastic beer. I would not drive 6+ hours to get it. If you are driving that far, go out of your way some more and stop and hill farmstead and other local attractions.

32. nc41

Here's the deal with Waterbury from my trip. Arrive on Tues and stay at the Stagecoach Inn, great place, great breakfast, nice rooms no TV's, have dinner at Probation Pig, and the only place that has HT on tap. Lawsons is distributed on Wed at the Warren General store and has a 4 bottle limit, other places have a one bottle limit, it moves fast so you have to be there early. You can get HT on Thurs which is canning day, and HF on Thurs and Friday, cash only there. Try all the bars there all clustered together and maybe 200 yards from the Stagecoach Inn, Black Back Pub is great, stay away from their Scotch the prices are unreasonable to insane. It's worth a 2-3 night stay IMO so you can hit them all with no rushing around. I'm doing it again in the spring, I'd never consider a HF run in the winter, it's too far on bad roads/snow IMO.

33. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

what are you driving that you get 40 mpg?

PatrickJamesMulcahy likes this.
  34. I wouldn't drive that far just to get one beer. But if you make a a mini vacation out of it - which northern VT is terrific for - then yes, it's a great time worth driving for. Combine some outdoor activity (do you ski, snow shoe? etc.) along with visiting other breweries or beer bars (Hill Farmstead, 3 Penny, Prohibition Pig, Blackback pub, the list goes on...) and even Ben and Jerry's. Good times.

youbrewidrink likes this.
  35. You're right, depending on what your answer to that question is. However, there's only one right answer...so any others to the contrary would be about as dumb as the question itself. :p

36. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

I've never tried Heady and I don't own a car.

Thank you for reading my post.

37. So why don't they make more????!!!

38. Flatlander.

39. OTB

OTB Savant (355) California Sep 2, 2011

After finally getting super fresh examples I can say yes it definitely deserves the hype, simply an amazing crazy drinkable beer.

Cheers......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.