1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Heady Topper: Worth the Hype?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by willbm3, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. They are
  2. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (525) California Oct 29, 2008

I think we need more hype-based posts in the Beer Talk forum.
    EJLinneman and HipsterBrewfus like this.
  3. Does anyone have the equation for miles-driven to quality? I'd like to chart out the bell curve where the flavor starts to degrade after x miles driven. Also need to know how far to drive for the beer to taste good.
    HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  4. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

No. Not at all. Don't consider purchasing any, ever!
    In all seriousness though the buzz surrounding HT is not hype; it is truth (and the effects of alcohol).
  5. Icarus

Icarus Aficionado (190) Minnesota Oct 6, 2012

agreed.
  6. dar482

dar482 Advocate (670) New York Mar 9, 2007

I would listen to the suggestions about going to Hill Farmstead. Just look at their roster of beers. There are so many ridiculous hard to find ones out there to try.

If you can, then get Heady Topper. You should be able to trade for it, but Alchemist just doesn't have the options like Hill Farmstead.

And yes, it's worth the hype. Granted, I was able to find Heady Topper in NYC and not have to drive hundreds of miles. Probably not worth the drive just for one beer. Worth the drive for two breweries though...
  7. tharte

tharte Aspirant (40) New York Feb 16, 2012

Do this on a Thursday. If you are driving up, I would leave early and stop by the Warren Store in Warren VT on the way - they have Lawson's along with some other quality beers. I found Old Rasputin 15 there when I went.

Be at Alchemist at 11AM when they open. You get beers 5 minutes off the line. Stop by Prohibition Pig or Blackback Tavern for lunch, great beers on tap. Hill Farmstead is about an hour east of Waterbury, so I would hit them up as well. Depending on where you live, I would hit Green Mountain Food Co-Op in Montpelier, or one of the stores near burlington to get some more Lawsons. I had the Kiwi and the maple nipple - both were outstanding.

Have fun.
    Warlocks-Passage likes this.
  8. bpd2001

bpd2001 Zealot (95) New York Jun 14, 2012

I thought it was great, although I wasn't all that impressed after the first one. Only after drinking the remainder of the 4-pack did it grow on me. I blame that first one on the "hype" screwing up my expectations.
  9. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,060) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

only tip I'll add for a visit is:

• show up early.
    • when leaving WATCH the turn off on to the main road it's REALLY bad visibility, with cars zooming by at 50mph
    • Grab a photo at the picture board outside (the can head cut out)
    • go hit Ben & Jerry's next door right after

Vermont is a gorgeous state (except the flies). Also hit up plenty of other breweries in the state if you can, but I am sure that's already been said.
  10. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

I can't wait for this thread to reappear next year and read a bunch of negative remarks about overhyped this beer is.
  11. It's good beer. If you like beer, you'll probably like it. I myself would never make a special trip of even 30 miles just to buy beer when such a huge variety is available already in stores near me, but wouldn't presume to say what's worth it to you.
  12. BourbonDork

BourbonDork Savant (290) Virginia Sep 15, 2010

I'm headed there the weekend of the 23th. I've had it, I liked it and I want more of it. I will call beforehand though to make sure there's stock to be had.
  13. As long as you don't look at it too closely... yes, it's entirely worthy of the hype. I wouldn't agree that it's the #1 beer out of all the beers here on BA, but it's superb.
  14. bpd2001

bpd2001 Zealot (95) New York Jun 14, 2012

That's why they say drink it directly from the can, right??
  15. No, that's to trap all the hop aromas. So they don't escape into your nose.

:rolleyes:
  16. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

So should people from jersey drive up there just to get a case or two?

Just making sure, because im going up soon and would hate to make you mad. Maybe you shouldnt get so pissed over how someone else buys beer after driving 5-8 hours....
    theGlasstronaut likes this.
  17. YES!
    It stands alone for IPAs and to have it fresh...... WELL WORTH IT!
  18. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (445) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

Here is an oddball question: is it ok for a person not to like a beer because it is hyped?
  19. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (395) New York Aug 21, 2012

If you enjoy something, then drive 400 miles for it. Family, concerts, camping, beer, etc. Just don't do it for the "hype".
    guzzle211 likes this.
  20. If you head to Montreal and want to do an IP trade, just let me know. I've got a spare bottle of this bad boy to trade (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13605/51448) as well as some other nice stuff!
  21. dowen17

dowen17 Initiate (0) Alabama Jul 17, 2013

My first cans of Heady will be arriving tomorrow from a trade. I'm anxious. I've been thinking about it since I started the trade.

Is it really worth the trouble to get and as good as everyone says it is?
    maxcoinage likes this.
  22. Just had my first the other day; it's as worthy of the hype as it could be. At the end of the day, it's still beer, but it's the best beer I've ever tasted.
    cappy201, Ljudsignal and dowen17 like this.
  23. Solid beer. I would get it regularly if I could.
  24. Mikecap

Mikecap Advocate (680) Rhode Island May 18, 2012

End the thread here.
    dowen17 likes this.
  25. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Just look at it...keep looking...now what do you think?
    [​IMG]
  26. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

I think its a great beer, worth trading for especially if you can land a few 4paks
  27. ChesterHop

ChesterHop Savant (255) Connecticut Sep 14, 2010

Absofrikkinlutely. I don't think it's possible to have higher expectations than I had. And that first sip just wowed me. Hopefully you're getting a freshie...
  28. I'm a firm believer that the rarity of a beer adds a false flavor. I had a week old Heady and it was a very good beer but, I also believe that easier to find beers are just as good if not better.
  29. dowen17

It will be a week and two days old when I receive it. I guess that's pretty fresh, right?!
  30. kneary13

kneary13 Savant (285) Massachusetts Jan 30, 2010

31. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

No. Overrated.
  32. Mikecap

Mikecap Advocate (680) Rhode Island May 18, 2012

Plenty fresh. I had my first can at 2 weeks, then the next three at 3, 4, and 5. The last was every bit as good as the first. And don't mind the floaties if you get any when pouring into a glass!
  33. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Yes. But from the sound of your post you are going to have your expectations set way too high.
    Holmes698 likes this.
  34. ElderPuma

ElderPuma Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2012

NO.....very very good but it doesn't take you to a new dimension or anything. The rarity/exclusivity/hype have caused it to become way overrated. Don't get me wrong, I'd buy it regularly if easily available but if it was on the shelf next to a dozen other of my favorites it may go periods of being picked over.
    RBassSFHOPit2ME and EJLinneman like this.
  35. BradStokley

BradStokley Savant (340) Maryland Jan 19, 2013

Dunno if it's worth the hype but it is the best DIPA I've ever had. But set your expectations correctly, it's just a beer.

36. I find it best after a week or so on it and peeking from day 7-21. But dont mind me Ive had 200 of them in the last year.
  37. dowen17

I work in building materials.

Not much else exciting to think about during the day other than my ongoing beer trades and what is arriving on my doorstep next :p
  38. velcrogrip

velcrogrip Advocate (550) Florida Mar 2, 2013

Had Heady, Pliny, and Resin recently, and all three were phenomenal fresh.
    I had to trade for Heady and Pliny, but Resin is available in florida, and it isn't THAT much below the others. Its a nice substitute to save all the shipping costs. But if anyone wants to trade some pliny or heady for Jai Alai, LMK. :)
  39. it's not a rare beer. it's just not in your distribution. along with the other 49 states.
    PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.