1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Heady Topper: Worth the Hype?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by willbm3, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Listen to him. Anybody than can cut Hulk like that knows what they`re talking about.

2. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I drink as much HT as I can get in the summer, I bought a few cases in May, and had one for beach week in July. Maybe 6 weeks, absolutely no difference in taste none at all, just has to be kept cool. I've gone thru my share considering I live in NC, absolutely wonderful stuff, enjoy it. Have to say if you keep it cool this DIPA isn't time sensitive, also better IMO in the can vs on tap.

3. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

As good or better such as? You live in SC I live in NC so what brews are so easily available they put HT to rest.

4. Congrats, it's amazing....I have a 4 pack coming next week via trade as well. Cheers!

dowen17 and nc41 like this.
  5. It's a great IPA, just like a lot of other IPAs.

6. JayORear

JayORear Advocate (540) California Feb 22, 2012

It took me to a new dimension.

urielxvi likes this.
  7. T-RO

T-RO Savant (320) New Hampshire Nov 9, 2012

The OP was seeking advice about a trip in February. Did he go? what were impressions? </thread>

8. What ever beer you want it to be. Just because so many people say a beer is that good doesn't mean it is. I bet if it was widely available as Stone or Scuplin it wouldn't be highly sought after and highly rated. Am I saying it's a bad beer? No. Am I saying people need to look past Heady's availability and decide for themselves if it's that good and not worry about what other people say? Yes.

9. Worth the hype and then some.

urielxvi and cappy201 like this.
  10. Worth the hype? Sorry.....TOTALLY.!
    Just like KBS, it's real I am sad to say. It's like drinking a bowl of weed!

Chris

Warlocks-Passage likes this.
  11. Homebrewher

Homebrewher Initiate (15) Georgia Jun 7, 2013

Most definitely.

12. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (315) Connecticut Aug 21, 2012

Nah, it's crap. Send it to me and I'll take care of it for you.

Hiwattowner likes this.
  13. Heady is my favorite IPA so far, with a close second of Gandhi Bot... and close behind that, Pliny. I really do have a hard time deciding which is better, Heady or Gandhi. But, I am content to fight that battle for the rest of my life. Good luck tracking some down, OP!

Hiwattowner likes this.
  14. we have cluster flies, alas
    and this time of year,
    is bad

AnotherImperial likes this.
  15. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Savant (370) New York Jan 7, 2013

Heady is very much worth the hype. It's my favorite year-round DIPA, and beats the pants off of 99% of year round DIPAs. Plenty of seasonals and special releases can bring it, but factoring in the price, consistency, and availability, HT can't be beat.

It's worth picking up, though I'd suggest you get at least a 4 pack or 2, as I found it very much grew on me. I enjoyed my 20th Heady more than my first...

16. fantastic beer. not sure it's worth jumping through hoops for, but if it was available to me regularly, i would certainly purchase it regularly and would always have at least one in the fridge at all times

17. PEIhop

PEIhop Savant (420) Massachusetts Dec 2, 2010

YES!

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  18. vw73182

vw73182 Aficionado (185) Indiana Oct 6, 2007

I'd drive there again to get it, plus Vermont is awesome so it's just pure winning.

19. primrose54

primrose54 Savant (310) Ohio Apr 7, 2009

Yes.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  20. It's a good beer and all, but when you get to the upper echelon of these IPAs, it's all splitting hairs. Good beer, but not worth going crazy over trying. There's plenty of other good IPAs out there which are available without all the legwork involved.

ElderPuma likes this.
  21. A friend of mine brought me back 2 4-packs yesterday from a trip to Vermont. Had one yesterday, and the beer is amazing as always and is absolutely deserving of the hype. Can't wait to drink the other 7!

22. Will always pick up a couple of 4-packs when I'm in Vermont. But Double Simcoe from Weyerbacher here in PA scratches that itch just as well for me. Pliny, Sculpin, and a few others that have been mentioned on the other hand, don't.

23. Was recently declaring myself over heady...then decided to taste it next to the likes of detour, 90 minute, dreadnaught ipa, and devil dancer this weekend. Heady blew them all out of the water, guess im not quite over it yet.

24. urielxvi

urielxvi Aficionado (195) Florida Mar 13, 2010

One of the few beers that is even better than the hype. It has an extra dimension and balance that I've never found with any other hyped DIPA

25. trginter

trginter Savant (345) Michigan Dec 1, 2008

26. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

I've since had the opportunity to get to Waterbury and I'm pleased to report that Heady Topper is such an outstanding beer that it's nearly the equal of Lawson's Double Sunshine.

Good on ya, Vermont.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.